• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Coach Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ricky Spanish

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Lol at “outstanding job”

Man the bar has been set so Damn low around here 

It was outstanding.  He had no QB at all, using someone else's coaching staff, not his players and it was a roster that for the large part had only won 11 games out of the last 38 games. 

Only difference from 11-27 to 6-6 was Wilks being the Head Coach. 

The roster isn't good and needs upgrades at DE, LB, NT, WR, TE, Safety, and most importantly QB. 

To say what he did was not outstanding if blindness 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

8 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Broncos- Sean Payton

Cardinals- Brian Flores

Colts- Jeff Saturday

Panthers- Shane Steichen

Texans- Demeco Ryans

Yeah Yeah, I know but I can see things going this way. 

I fixed it for you. 🤣

Broncos- No one knows 

Cardinals- No one knows 

Colts- No one knows 

Panthers- Even Tepper has no idea 

Texans- No one knows. 

9 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Wilks isn’t Rivera. He is his own self

The Bengals game and the 2nd Bucs game where he opted to punt on 4th and short with absolutely nothing to lose and the playoffs on the line show he's actually below even Rivera in that area. Some folks are choosing to gloss over this because of emotional ties or as a coping mechanism so soon after the Rhule hire.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

The Bengals game and the 2nd Bucs game where he opted to punt on 4th and short with absolutely nothing to lose and the playoffs on the line show he's actually below even Rivera in that area. Some folks are choosing to gloss over this because of emotional ties or as a coping mechanism so soon after the Rhule hire.

Don't forget the play calling following the interception in OT vs the Falcons

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

20 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Good example of a flashy new OC not working out. 

It happens more often than not. People need to listen to the experts that keep telling us that being HC carries a ton more responsibility and many coordinators can’t handle it. It’s takes a special person.  

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Confirmed for today...

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Moore is getting a lot of criticism here, but last play aside I mostly saw Dak struggling. The play calling wasn’t the issue IMO.

For the last 2 years the Dallas offense has made major mistakes in the last  2 min that ended their playoff games. They seemed not prepared ill prepared.  Is that on McCarthy or Moore? There are some criticisms in this Athletic article. https://theathletic.com/4118977/2023/01/23/dallas-cowboys-season-playoffs/

Reminder...last year, final play:

With 14 seconds left in their 2022 wild-card matchup, the Cowboys called a quarterback draw that Dak Prescott took too far, and then the quarterback and the entire offensive line collectively forgot that they cannot spot the ball themselves. The clock expired as the umpire tried to fight his way through the line to spot the ball himself. Everyone was stunned. 

Football 101.

Then on Sunday in their NFC divisional round matchup, with 76 yards to go and time for likely only one snap, McCarthy called a gadget play with running back Ezekiel Elliott alone at center with no supporting linemen near him and Prescott in shotgun behind him. As soon as Elliott got off the very slow snap, he was pancaked, and then Niners cornerback Jimmie Ward immediately blew up Prescott’s pass to receiver Kavontae Turpin. Game over. 

Last season at least the plays leading up to the game-ending disaster were smart calls that took the Cowboys receivers immediately out of bounds to stop the clock. This season, the entire final drive was a mess, and by my own generous count Dallas wasted 23 seconds from their final punt and their final drive, enough time for about four more plays. 

We can’t discuss Dallas’s final play yet because we need to talk about another waste of time on the Cowboys’ final drive. On third-and-1 at their own 15 yard line, Prescott passed to tight end Dalton Schultz, who was hit by Niners cornerback Charvarius Ward as he went out of bounds. The contact made Schultz take a step backward along the sideline. The clock didn’t stop in this situation because the officials determined he wasn’t moving forward when going out of bounds, which is required to stop the clock. Fox Sports color analyst Greg Olsen said, “You have to be going forwards if you are contacted going out of bounds. You have to fight through that contact!”

“Charvarius Ward,” Olsen said. “He knows the rule, they coach that, you’ve got to turn up and be physical into contact and get that official to stop the clock.”

To be fair to Schultz, he’d played an entire game up to this point and was likely exhausted, and his hustle back to the near hash after going out of bounds suggests both that he knew this rule and he knew the officials kept the clock running. But the Niners’ awareness in this situation and Schultz’ lack of pushback is an example of the importance of coaching up the tiny details that matter in two-minute situations.  

Schultz’ lack of awareness here points to bad coaching. The best teams want to make sure their players know every rule that relates to the game clock and remind them of the rules frequently, because that knowledge is crucial for success in any two-minute drill.

This year, final play:

“It appears that Zeke is going to go to center,” Olsen said as Dallas sent its offensive linemen out wide for what would be the Cowboys’ last shot in this game. “This looks like my flag football team. Obviously Mike McCarthy has been working on his end of game scenario, and let’s see what he’s got!” 

As soon Olsen spoke that last line, you and I both knew there was no way this was going to end well. After seeing the strange look from Dallas, the Niners immediately called their final timeout to get their defense in position. This is typically where a functional offense would change up the play to catch the defense off guard. There are obviously only so many third-and-10 plays for a team to have a chance to score from its own 24-yard-line with six seconds left, but Dallas went back into the exact same look it had already given the Niners, with Elliott at center, totally alone, and the linemen out wide. 

Has anyone ever seen a play like this before? 
“Never,” texted one former head coach and offensive coordinator when I sent him that question with the video clip.

TLDR:

Cowboys seem poorly coached.  How much is on McCarthy, how much is Moore?

• Flames 2

9 hours ago, Mage said:

I feel like Moore's issue with some is he got hyped up TOO soon.  So of course people hold him to higher expectations than they do the others.  But he has more play-calling experience than Steichen, Dorsey, and Kafka.  And has the success to back up the hype.  

AKA Joe Brady?

52 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

With those 2 coordinators, he just needs to “lead men”. Look, I’d prefer Payton, but not at the cost.Steichen is a maybe, but far from a guarantee. It’s a tough decision. Any of these young OCs are unproven as leaders of an entire team. 

Can Wilks get over his conservative tendencies and play-not-to-lose mentality and be aggressive?
Even if we have a good offense and defense if the coach is punting on 4th and 1 from the opponents 40 it is kinda a moot point. 
McDermott has been a great coach but we saw some of the same problems Sunday that I am worried Wilks will have. 
If he can evolve and get over it and prove me wrong then good. 
But Rivera said during his last year as coach he needed to change and when the season started he went right back to what made him comfortable. 
Wilks may tell Tepper he will be more aggressive but will that stand when the season begins? 

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

You know, I’m not a Patriots’ fan by any street h but this is the best move they could’ve made and makes a helluva lot more sense than having Matt Patricia as your OC. Nice going, BB!

It seems that Kraft forced BB to make the change. What he did last year was head coaching malpractice.  Especially with a young developing QB.

22 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

It was outstanding.  He had no QB at all, using someone else's coaching staff, not his players and it was a roster that for the large part had only won 11 games out of the last 38 games. 

Only difference from 11-27 to 6-6 was Wilks being the Head Coach. 

The roster isn't good and needs upgrades at DE, LB, NT, WR, TE, Safety, and most importantly QB. 

To say what he did was not outstanding if blindness 

Impressive, yeah, but history says not sustainable. 
Wilks has history against him. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan
  • The D 1