• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interview Thread IV: A New Hope

Ricky Spanish

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Already posted elsewhere...

John asks Mike Kaye for inside info on the young interviewees. Kaye mentions that none of them (Steichen included) were especially impressive whereas both Reich and Wilks "presented very well".

Hell, it's even been reported that Sean Payton came away from his interview impressed with the Panthers, but it doesn't seem to have been mutual.

I know you want to drive this narrative that everybody bailed on the Panthers just so you can talk sh-t, but it's stupid.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Already posted elsewhere...

John asks Mike Kaye for inside info on the young interviewees. Kaye mentions that none of them (Steichen included) were especially impressive whereas both Reich and Wilks "presented very well".

Hell, it's even been reported that Sean Payton came away from his interview impressed with the Panthers, but it doesn't seem to have been mutual.

I think you should be careful about what the media is pumping and about red herrings because I think the Panthers have finally figured out how to conduct some smokescreens. I still think Wilks or Reich could be the coach but I don’t think they’re done interviewing either 

7 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I don’t think they are considering Payton anymore. The comp to the saints is too big a pill for most teams to swallow let alone a division rival. I think the interview was more feeling out and conversation than an actual interview 

Albright and others have said Payton is pretty much out for us.

Edited by Mr. Scot

16 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Please no Rodgers...  He looks like a shell of himself and has one foot out the door already.  Also sometimes the right coach can mold a young QB into a franchise QB.  

Isn't Rodgers due something like 59 million dollars next year lmao?  We are right up against the cap and the only QB we have on the team currently is on a 3rd round rookie contract.

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Playoff final 4

2018 Reid    Bill B    Payton    Mcvay

2019 Reid Vrabal Shanahan Lafleur

2020 Reid McDermett  Lafleur Arians

2021 Reid McVay Shanahan Taylor

2022 Reid Taylor Shannahan Sirianni

I am sensing a trend here......hmmmm what could it be?

Reid makes it every year? 

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

We're gonna end up with Frank Reich and Will Levis.  

Reich and Stroud.  Apparently we’re high on Stroud.

and I do know Indy is high on Levis.

so as bad some of y’all think it’ll be here.  You could always be a Colts fan with Jeff Saturday and Will Levis

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If it were up to Wilks, I'd expect it to be Holcomb.

If it weren't left up to Wilks, I'd pivot back to the question someone else asked: Why would you hire a guy you don't trust to choose his own staff?

I agree Scot but it's worth pointing out that there are head coaches out there who are great coaches and successful but still have the struggle of keeping staff members too long (or making the wrong staff decisions).

For example the Ravens the year they won the Super Bowl I believe the owner or GM essentially forced Harbaugh's hand to make an OC change mid-season. Also look at Belichick with Patricia/Judge last year and now Kraft stepping in to get him to make a change. Even Rivera, for all his faults, is a solid overall head coach (having Rhule for 3 years makes Ron look like a god damned genius) but was horrible with picking his staff. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If it were up to Wilks, I'd expect it to be Holcomb.

If it weren't left up to Wilks, I'd pivot back to the question someone else asked: Why would you hire a guy you don't trust to choose his own staff?

I think I would trust Wilks with hiring a staff. He has yet to be given the chance so we have no idea what he would do. I'm also of the opinion that they hire someone as HC out of left field after all of this and none of what we are hearing is close to the truth.