• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Championship Game Thread

Shocker

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

They call that every week, nothing 'fixed' about it.

That call was crap.  We have differing opinions obviously.  Respectfully. Calling that after Mahomes had 1/2 a foot on the line as a runner (yes, qb but is a pure runner in that situation) with 8 seconds left in a tied NFC Championship game after making BS calls most of the game in KCs favor?  He barely touched him in any case and Mahomes flopped.  I have no dog in this fight. Do not care if Bengals or KC won, but expect a fairly called game.  That just did not happen... and KC got many gifts tonight, including a game winner.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, SHU said:

KC got many gifts tonight

Questionable calls were going in KC's favor most of the night while there were numerous instances of obvious infractions by KC that went uncalled.

Bottom line:  Intentional or not, the refs had undue influence in the outcome of the game.  Very disappointing in what was otherwise a competitive contest. 

• Pie 5

11 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Questionable calls were going in KC's favor most of the night while there were numerous instances of obvious infractions by KC that went uncalled.

Bottom line:  Intentional or not, the refs had undue influence in the outcome of the game.  Very disappointing in what was otherwise a competitive contest. 

I don't know how many people remember, but over the last few years the NFL has told its officials to refrain from calling offensive holding except in absolutely blatant cases. Said directive came after a down year in offensive production, if I remember correctly.

What constitutes "blatant" is, of course, a judgment call.

That particular bit of guidance tends to really show up in the playoffs.

And although they'd probably never admit to it, one of the things a lot of offensive line coaches do Is help their guys learn exactly how they can better get away with committing such penalties.

Personal opinion: I'd guess highly regarded Eagles OL coach Jeff Stoutland could probably show you a thing or two about that.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's only fixed when your team loses.

They did a sh-t job. It happens.

They do a poo job every week though. At some point the refusal to get better is the fix.

XFL officiating before COVID killed the league was more transparent and worked better. If they can do it on a budget that pales in comparison, the NFL should too. 

1 minute ago, jopie87 said:

They do a poo job every week though. At some point the refusal to get better is the fix.

XFL officiating before COVID killed the league was more transparent and worked better. If they can do it on a budget that pales in comparison, the NFL should too. 

NFL officiating has absolutely gone to sh-t in the last ten years or so.

Instructions like the one I mentioned above are probably part of that, but for whatever reason, the quality has just become terrible.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

NFL officiating has absolutely gone to sh-t in the last ten years or so.

Instructions like the one I mentioned above are probably part of that, but for whatever reason, the quality has just become terrible.

I blame it on lack of accountability when they actually are wrong. The crew that gave Peyton his going away present and the crew that let Cam's head be target practice should have never reffed a game ever again. Instead they justify their actions and move on.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, jopie87 said:

No doubt though, I did really like the mics for the refs being on when they are discussing penalties and reviews so we actually KNOW what they are seeing and talking about. None of that making a call and everybody looking at it saying "WTF were they seeing?" poo

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

It did not seem a particularly well called game. The Bengals also had a few very sloppy plays...as did the chiefs, and not all of it got called on them. It's unfortunate that shitty officiating got in the way of a great game.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, SHU said:

That call was crap.  We have differing opinions obviously.  Respectfully. Calling that after Mahomes had 1/2 a foot on the line as a runner (yes, qb but is a pure runner in that situation) with 8 seconds left in a tied NFC Championship game after making BS calls most of the game in KCs favor?  He barely touched him in any case and Mahomes flopped.  I have no dog in this fight. Do not care if Bengals or KC won, but expect a fairly called game.  That just did not happen... and KC got many gifts tonight, including a game winner.

That flag gets thrown 95% of the time in today's NFL, and this wasn't a case of Mahomes running straight at a guy and stepping out at the very last second. It sure looked like he shoved him when Mahomes was clearly at the boundary and it was a poor decision on part of the defender for even inviting the possibility of the flag, a flag that again is thrown multiple times every week in the NFL. If you want to rag on the refs then I get it but that call ain't it.

2 hours ago, KSpan said:

That flag gets thrown 95% of the time in today's NFL, and this wasn't a case of Mahomes running straight at a guy and stepping out at the very last second. It sure looked like he shoved him when Mahomes was clearly at the boundary and it was a poor decision on part of the defender for even inviting the possibility of the flag, a flag that again is thrown multiple times every week in the NFL. If you want to rag on the refs then I get it but that call ain't it.

I would say 99.9%.  That call was correct or at least consistent with how those plays are normally called.  The grounding call was correct.  Most of the calls were correct.  One can argue that more penalties should have been called against the Chiefs, but that is an argument that could be made in a lot of games. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, jopie87 said:

Yep. The NFL should hire all new “replacement” refs and fire all the current ones. It worked so well the last time they tried that.