• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer on drafting a QB this year

ncfan

20 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

As Gil Brandt said ‘if you don’t have a Qb, you have no chance’

he also said a draft interview a couple of years ago, ‘if there is a qb you believe in, you go get him period’ vs  (paraphrased) waiting and taking the chance that another team ahead of you values him 

the qb in this era will define the Panthers 

Reich knows a lot more about QBs than any of us on here could begin to understand 

we will also see how good of a GM ole Scott is 

Drafting a QB this year depends less on Scott’s ability to trade, and more on how much a team in front of us wants the same QB.

• Pie 1

As I've said before, I think our current team is much more equipped for a rookie QB than in the past. Good O-line, solid run game, good defense, and now a QB friendly HC. Darnold played well as a game manager during the second half of the season and we were able to pull of 6-6 record, I believe a rookie QB could given the same production. 

As much as Reich is an offensive coordinator, he knows he needs a top 10 defense to keep you in games. 

• Pie 7

Move up for Stroud. Bring in Brissett on a 1&1 deal and let Stroud either win the job or sit until he's ready. I think Brissett with a re-signed Foreman and Bozeman can take us to the playoffs. 

Guys like TLaw, Mahomes, etc. were not good in year one, so Stroud wouldn't have to play immediately, but does have the potential later in the year. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Stroud has the size, the arm, the accuracy and the footwork 

I like AR but needs work. We all know this 

Bryce is a playmaker but I just cannot see that frame holding up in the nfl 

not big on Levis.  Guy shrinks in the spotlight and the nfl is a spotlight every week, it’s just that some weeks are brighter than others 

get stroud this year and Harrison JR next year and things will look a whole lot better in Charlotte 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 7

51 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Heres the conviction

I wanted no part of Stroud until this game.  And I know typically it sounds stupid to change your whole perspective of s player off one game, but of there was ever a single game where you should, it was his against Georgia.  

I still don't know that I feel a conviction that he's THE GUY, or will be...  but that game showed me he COULD be and might be worthy of taking a chance on.  Before that game, I didn't think he was even worth looking at.  

It's weird...  again, like with Cam, I knew from the moment I first watched him "this dude is gonna change the NFL."  I still don't know about any of these guys with any sort of conviction like that.  If we happened to trade up to get Stroud, I wouldn't be mad about it, but I don't know that I'd be thrilled.  I could understand it because of the possibility that the Georgia game showed.  But if we stayed put and were able to draft Richardson, I'd probably be much happier if it panned out that way.

• Pie 2

I could be reading to much into this

But Reich in specific mentioned 

“offense look like Philly”

and

”dual threat like Hurts”

additional here recently.

Joe Person hinted at who we’re going after at OC in Brian Johnson out of Philly.

Johnson coached Richardson in Florida.

lastly.  Daniel Jeremiah is one of the most clued in guys in what’s going on in league circles in around draft season.  Jeremiah now has Richardson his 13th OVERALL prospect in this draft

D69D207A-0D2C-4238-8FDB-CA2042A24EA8.jpeg

0E0154DB-44BA-409A-AFA8-57313087F3DE.jpeg

F8387A78-11EE-4C74-99A1-7903D3DA613A.jpeg

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Chiefs went and got him.  Buffalo went and got him. Baltimore went and got him. Cinci was #1 and took him their guy.  Same with JAX.  Hell, PHI and SF went and got their guy that didn't even work out, so lost the picks to a bust, and still made it as far as they did the past few years. So it comes to show even losing the future drfat capital isn't always some huge setback.   

If they found a QB, I honestly don't mind giving away what could be a mid or late 1st rounder in 2024.  You'll likely be doing the same thing next year with your 2025 pick if you like Caleb/Maye/Ward/Penix/JJ.  

If Stroud or Young is the guy, sure.  Do what you need to.  

Yup, and tbh, I always go back to when Fitt said, "You have to keep swinging, until you hit."  Seattle blew threw a lot of assets trying to find a guy after Hasselbeck.  You might sign a guy to a big deal, you might draft a guy in the first or second, you might trade for a guy, and then you take a flyer on a guy in the third one year and he ends up making it worth all of the swings and misses that preceeded it because of the unexpected value.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I wanted no part of Stroud until this game.  And I know typically it sounds stupid to change your whole perspective of s player off one game, but of there was ever a single game where you should, it was his against Georgia.  

I still don't know that I feel a conviction that he's THE GUY, or will be...  but that game showed me he COULD be and might be worthy of taking a chance on.  Before that game, I didn't think he was even worth looking at.  

It's weird...  again, like with Cam, I knew from the moment I first watched him "this dude is gonna change the NFL."  I still don't know about any of these guys with any sort of conviction like that.  If we happened to trade up to get Stroud, I wouldn't be mad about it, but I don't know that I'd be thrilled.  I could understand it because of the possibility that the Georgia game showed.  But if we stayed put and were able to draft Richardson, I'd probably be much happier if it panned out that way.

I think a lot of people were like that. And, no offense, but that just means you weren’t actually paying attention before. All year he’s shown his decision making, arm talent, ability to read the field, everything you want in an NFL quarterback is elite for a prospect.  The only thing that isn’t elite and the only thing he is inferior to Young at is scrambling/running around behind the LoS. But he’s still good at it. Just not elite.

Glad so many are coming around in Stroud, he’s been my strong #1 for months.  I see him as a “the guy” easily, I’ve never seen anyone as comfortable making beautiful passes that are perfectly placed as him.  Not Luck, not Cam, not Lawrence, none of the past strong #1s have been as good at placement and using the proper velocity/touch as Stroud. They’ve had other areas they were better at that made them such elite prospects, and I’m not saying I think Stroud is necessarily a better prospect than Luck. But he’s in the same area because of how good he is at that trait without any flaws to speak of. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I could be reading to much into this

But Reich in specific mentioned 

“offense look like Philly”

and

”dual threat like Hurts”

additional here recently.

Joe Person hinted at who we’re going after at OC in Brian Johnson out of Philly.

Johnson coached Richardson in Florida.

lastly.  Daniel Jeremiah is one of the most clued in guys in what’s going on in league circles in around draft season.  Jeremiah now has Richardson his 13th OVERALL prospect in this draft

D69D207A-0D2C-4238-8FDB-CA2042A24EA8.jpeg

0E0154DB-44BA-409A-AFA8-57313087F3DE.jpeg

F8387A78-11EE-4C74-99A1-7903D3DA613A.jpeg

That scouting report right there is why I feel much better at sitting where we're at...  maybe moving up a pick or two if needed, and taking AR versus giving up all those assets to get to 1 or 3.  To Stroud's credit, he has been a starter since he was a freshman, and there is something to be said about that, but Ohio St. has also been a lot better program over recent years, so it's an easier spot to come into.  But still, I keep phrasing it as I wouldn't be mad if we traded up for Stroud.  I could understand it.  But I would be happy just sitting pat and taking AR for the value at that spot and the fact his ceiling is so damn high.