• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is A.R a smaller C.Newton in the rough?

Jmac

1 minute ago, Kentucky Panther said:

I wasn’t saying it in a negative way. We would all love to have another Cam. That also means some people will latch on to the perceived closest thing, even if they’re not at all close. 

I've said in a couple of places that the people making comparisons to Cam Newton don't really remember just how unique Newton was.

And that's another problem with nostalgia scouting. You go looking for the next version of a prior star but what you wind up with is the Wish version.

Mentioned it previously, but Bill Polian thinking he was getting the next Jim Kelly when he drafted Kerry Collins is a prime example of that.

15ee46dd14f13a50619492ab9e6e7bb040ce4d6f

Just now, bythenbrs said:

Nah. If you wanted me to let it go, you would’ve let this go. We can talk if you want 

8 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

I wasn’t saying it in a negative way. We would all love to have another Cam. That also means some people will latch on to the perceived closest thing, even if they’re not at all close. 

I got ya. The same negatives that Cam received coming in are some of the same negatives AR receives. I can see why the two are compared with each other.

I think Cams mechanics were a tad better, as he was quite accurate in college. He was also a better runner, and ran with more power. Cam also did more with less, although AR wasn’t really working with much at Florida. His receivers weren’t all that. 

3 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

I got ya. The same negatives that Cam received coming in are some of the same negatives AR receives. I can see why the two are compared with each other.

I think Cams mechanics were a tad better, as he was quite accurate in college. He was also a better runner, and ran with more power. Cam also did more with less, although AR wasn’t really working with much at Florida. His receivers weren’t all that. 

Last year we had people saying the next Cam Newton could be found in Malik Willis.

Does that still sound like a valid comparison?

What are Arnold Schwarzenegger's best movies? - Quora

66% completion vs 53% completion

30 passing TD vs 17 passing TD

20 rushing TD vs 9 rushing TD

4300 total yards vs 3200 total yards

An average SEC QB that can run isn't Cam lite.  Cam is a unicorn that probably doesn't even need to be talked about.  There won't be a next Cam.  

• Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Last year we had people saying the next Cam Newton could be found in Malik Willis.

Does that still sound like a valid comparison?

No, but again, I understand why they are being compared. Outside of the physical appearances, the negatives being said about Cam were the same that’s being said about Malik and now AR. 

I don’t think Malik or AR compare, but I understand the threads. The poster you quoted even said AR was a worse Cam.

Just now, AggieLean said:

No, but again, I understand why they are being compared. Outside of the physical appearances, the negatives being said about Cam were the same that’s being said about Malik and now AR. 

I don’t think Malik or AR compare, but I understand the threads. The poster you quoted even said AR was a worse Cam.

I get that. I just don't see nostalgia and scouting as a good mix.

Like I said before, just find the best player available right now who fits your system. Who they happen to remind you of doesn't really mean anything.

And hell, for the folks who do want to compare something, most of the guys they bring up would more closely compare to Michael Vick than Cam Newton.

Newton was a really unique type of player. Hoping to find another one like him is kind of like looking for the next Julius Peppers.

There's not going to be another Newton for a while.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get that. I just don't see nostalgia and scouting as a good mix.

Like I said before, just find the best player available right now who fits your system. Who they happen to remind you of doesn't really mean anything.

And hell, for the folks who do want to compare something, most of the guys they bring up would more closely compare to Michael Vick than Cam Newton.

Newton was a really unique type of player. Hoping to find another one like him is kind of like looking for the next Julius Peppers.

There's not going to be another Newton for a while.

I agree with this. Cam was unique, a true dual threat. Saying AR is a worse Cam is off base 

These guys are more in the mold of Vick, but even as Vick aged, he became more of a true dual threat. Especially once he got under Andy Reid

Edited by AggieLean
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Coaches largely don't let Cam Newton's happen.  They become DEs long before NFL draft time. 

I'd say that gets balanced out by the coaches that try to make somebody into another Cam Newton when they're really not.

True dual threats in general are way more rare than people think, especially at the college level.

A good number of the QBs who get lazily labeled "dual threats" are really just running quarterbacks who can kind of pass or passers who can sort of run (with the former being more common).

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd say that gets balanced out by the coaches that try to make somebody into another Cam Newton when they're really not.

True dual threats in general are way more rare than people think, especially at the college level.

A good number of the QBs who get lazily labeled "dual threats" are really just running quarterbacks who can kind of pass or passers who can sort of run (with the former being more common).

Don’t agree, and if there is any truth to this, it’s recent. They’ve been doing what CRA said way longer than trying to turn somebody’s into Cam

21 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I really don't think people remember just how unique a specimen Cam Newton actually was.

Those highlights looked good.  BUT, was the defense, of those teams, 2nd par or was the offense a top shelf group?  Looking at highlights are in favor of whom ever it is highlighting.  I wouuld like to read a scouting report on him.