• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go for Carr hard and save #9 pick?

Jmac

5 minutes ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

Almost like winning meaningless games does that or something. 

Yep. It's why I honestly advocated for just sticking it out with Rhule through this season. He should've been fired after last year but Tepper wanted to give his chosen one another year. Once you make that decision just stick it out to collect your harvest. Had we done that we'd still have our same current staff but we'd be drafting in the top 5.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. It's why I honestly advocated for just sticking it out with Rhule through this season. He should've been fired after last year but Tepper wanted to give his chosen one another year. Once you make that decision just stick it out to collect your harvest. Had we done that we'd still have our same current staff but we'd be drafting in the top 5.

I get that, but I'm glad Steve Wilks got a chance to shoot his shot.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get that, but I'm glad Steve Wilks got a chance to shoot his shot.

I honestly don't think he did. I think we were going with an offensive minded HC no matter what. I mean, could Wilks' record honestly been expected to be any better than it was given the situation when he took over?

I hope it at least aided him getting the Niners DC gig. Hopefully someone got something out of it.

7 hours ago, Jmac said:

Guy has been to the pro-bowl four times so he has talent. Would you go after him and steal him from the Saints (possibly) and use #9 for a position of need? Would that be the better way to go at this time? I believe he was released out right today.

The answer is yes. 

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Gotta say we're getting a lot of AR mocks. How about Brissett with AR on some designed runs to get him comfortable? I like Hooker too, I think he's def better than Ridder/Corral. We could do better than this Center though 

I don’t know what mouth breather thinks AR in Carolina is a move for them to build around. The guy is 3-4 years from playing at his ceiling (if it’s even that high) and he doesn’t even really fit in Reich’s offense.

Bears picking 1st overall, are we convinced they don’t take a swing at Stroud or Young?

Surely the Texans at 2 would select one of them.

Cards at 3 are married to Murray based on his contract.

Colts at 4 need a QB as badly as we do.

Seahawks at 5 have Geno Smith but was he good enough to stop them from drafting a QB? Luckily he’s a free agent, so the contract he ultimately gets or doesn’t should tell their intentions.

Lions at 6, is Goff good enough for them to not take a QB, if Stroud or Young falls this far? He has 2 years left on his deal and could potentially be a trade asset if they choose to draft a QB.

Raiders at 7 are cash poor so a QB on a rookie contract would be most ideal for them and seem like a good candidate to move up to secure a QB

Falcons at 8, seems unlikely Stroud or Young could fall this far but if they did surely the Falcons take them.

Finally, here we are at 9. 0 chance Stroud or Young make it this far. So we’d have to trade up and that’s assuming we can put together an enticing enough package. Not sure how Levis is viewed internally or with teams above of us, but seems plausible that if he’s viewed as a better option than Carr, then unlikely he makes it to 9 either.

If we’re dead set on landing a top rookie instead of Carr, then we better hope he signs with the Texans or Colts. However if he does sign with one of them, is that a sign that the top QB’s in this class are being over rated?

I’m really unsettled on what to do here but can’t wait to see it all unfold.

• Beer 1

The only way I want to draft Richardson is if he falls to the second round.  Outside of that, it looks like Young, Stroud and Levis will be gone.

Bridge QB is the way and rookie QB in 2024.  Rhule couldn't find his way out of a wet paper sack, so there's a reason why this experiment didn't work well under his leadership(?).  Give a competent staff a crack at this.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Poo 1

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The only way I want to draft Richardson is if he falls to the second round.  Outside of that, it looks like Young, Stroud and Levis will be gone.

Bridge QB is the way and rookie QB in 2024.  Rhule couldn't find his way out of a wet paper sack, so there's a reason why this experiment didn't work well under his leadership(?).  Give a competent staff a crack at this.

I doubt Richardson falls to the 2nd. I will be surprised if he drops out of the top 15.

30 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I doubt Richardson falls to the 2nd. I will be surprised if he drops out of the top 15.

Exactly, and why I don't want him.  He's too much of a project for a first rounder.  Let some other team spend 2-3 years developing him.  Vegas is drafting a QB.  If we don't take him or the Saints, he definitely falls out of the top 15.  Possibly the Ronskins/Commandos at #16.

Edited by 45catfan

15 minutes ago, BEASTfromdaEAST said:

Carr has fumbled 80 times in 142 games....80 fn times!!! He holds the Raiders record. Dude is trash. Stop thinking otherwise. Pro bowls mean nothing. Any all pro season? Nope. People get off the ridiculous idea of this bum as our QB. Roll with a rookie and let it rip. AR or Hooker are better prospects than this BUM

Well damn!

He's right though. Carr is just a slight upgrade from Darnold. No need to waste big money on a QB who isn't going to take us far.

• Beer 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:23 PM, TheMaulClaw said:

Carr is less risky. Let's say we sell the farm and move up but the rookie QB busts.  Then we are really screwed.  

Even though personally I would just keep Sam if we want to draft and develop. Sam will be much cheaper and will allow us to keep more cap space for next year when it's time to really compete.  

if we want to draft a QB and develop then you re-sign Sam. If you are not drafting you sign Carr. If you are tanking for a top QB, then you draft back, pick up another first to give ammo and start Corral. Corral you are 100% guaranteed to suck and win no more than 5 games. The dude is a freaking bum. Its embarrassing that anyone thinks he could be the guy. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, ericr0319 said:

if we want to draft a QB and develop then you re-sign Sam. If you are not drafting you sign Carr. If you are tanking for a top QB, then you draft back, pick up another first to give ammo and start Corral. Corral you are 100% guaranteed to suck and win no more than 5 games. The dude is a freaking bum. Its embarrassing that anyone thinks he could be the guy. 

I think we're still a year away from being truly competitive.  I think it would be impatient to sell the farm for a qb this year.  I do think we should trade the picks and accrue even more assets for next year.  I want to win this year, but I don't see a consistent path with any of the veteran qbs available or a rookie QB that we would have to trade so much for.  If we time it for next year we can have a wealth of draft picks combined with the 2nd most cap space in the league.