• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich: "It will be a Base 3-4 Scheme"

Bear Hands

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

It is confirmed; straight from the horse's mouth.  Sounds like we will have multiple looks in our sub packages, so some of the fun hybrid stuff. But our base defense is confirmed to be a 3-4.  Likely 2 high shell Fangio concepts with a bit more blitzing that seemed to be Evero's MO in Denver.

This confirms a few obvious needs:

(1) 3-4 DE

(1) EDGE (could work with what we have but another wouldn't hurt)

(1) ILB

(1) Outfielder/S

Luvu could play a few roles depending on the looks.

Chinn becomes a question mark--S or LB? I'd definitely lean towards ILB, w/a hybrid type role in our sub packages. 

Exciting stuff.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong on any needs/debate player roles/have at it.  

I bet we go defense at 9 now

• Pie 2

I wouldn't be too deterred by sizes entirely, don't forget how much a monster Willis and Bowman were together, and that was Evero's first taste of the NFL.  

Same goes for Chinn in any fixed role.  I get he'll assume a similar moneybacker/buffalo nickel/big nickel/badger back/tweener-strat, whatever the hell name the SS/LB hybrid role has been christened this year.  But, I'm interested in how he operates in a cover 1 or cover 4 shell base.  For that, he's either ILB or S.  I actually think Chinn could probably still play high, but in the 1/2 disguises where he's actually rolling into the box and Woods stays deep.  Lots of possibilities, late rolls to play zone in the box or blitz in what seem like our base package.  But yes, I can see how he's a variation of the moneybacker/SS-LB hybrid a la Mathieu/Muma otherwise.  

As mentioned in the presser, "base" packages are like 25% of what's actually deployed so this gon' be fun. 

It will definitely be a tailored scheme that is all about disguises.  At the end of the day, the confusion is key as Andy Bernard mentioned. 

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 2

Just now, Jon Snow said:

If there's 4 qb's drafted ahead of us we would be idiots not to take an edge or DT at 9.  The 1st round is top heavy with immediate starters.  But I think in the end only 2 qb's go before our pick at 9.

Going off analytics is almost an 99.9% certainty someone falls to 9 perhaps 2.  Unless Stroud falls to 5 I would just hold tight, aint no way in hell 4 qbs go in the top 8

• Pie 4

Just now, Jon Snow said:

If there's 4 qb's drafted ahead of us we would be idiots not to take an edge or DT at 9.  The 1st round is top heavy with immediate starters.  But I think in the end only 2 qb's go before our pick at 9.

If we don't trade and all 4 are gone (unlikely, but I'll play), yeah, it would mean Tyree Wilson or Myles Murphy would be available.  Not opposed in that scenario.  Honestly though, if we didn't need a QB, this draft seems deprived of high end talent elsewhere.  Not really seeing it in the CB, WR, or OL groups.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Outside of QB, I think defense will be a high priority in the draft to get the right guys that'll fit the scheme. I think Panthers will go defense in rounds 2-3 if we get our QB in round 1. Good LBs in Sewell, Jack Campbell, Sanders. Good talent on D-line in mid rounds too. I'm excited for this defense just as much as the QB intrigue. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Burns and Luvu have to be happy.

Did anyone ask a follow up question on what Derrick Brown's role looks like? Brown and Chinn are the two that I want to know what the plan is for.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I have to assume Brown is a DE in a 3-4.

Down and distance might dictate the position also.  Running downs he might be lined up at DE and obvious passing downs he might slide over to the middle.  

Also if we are a 3-4 base does that mean when we go to nickel, we might see some 3-3-5?

• Pie 5

4 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Based on what I’ve read Brown would fit the DE role in a 3-4 scheme better but I’m sure he’d also continue to play NT in a multi-scheme/traditional 4-3 if needed.

Rhule transitioned DB to uptackle last year. DB brought that up before the season started. He mentioned that he lost weight to play the role and that he would do whatever was asked of him. 

I dont think Brown's size and skillset really limits him from playing the NT role. Aaron Donald plays that role... I dont know why DB couldnt. Not saying their outputs are the same, but their playstyle is the same. They are about being quick and add finesse the DT position as opposed to just bull rush play after play.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Down and distance might dictate the position also.  Running downs he might be lined up at DE and obvious passing downs he might slide over to the middle.  

Also if we are a 3-4 base does that mean when we go to nickel, we might see some 3-3-5?

Rams ran a 2-4-5 and sometimes a 3-2-6. With the way the league is going, we can probably expect a 6 secondary players on the field at once. Think of it as a Chinn at middle back and then our 5 d backs and down lineman. 

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Rhule transitioned DB to uptackle last year. DB brought that up before the season started. He mentioned that he lost weight to play the role and that he would do whatever was asked of him. 

I dont think Brown's size and skillset really limits him from playing the NT role. Aaron Donald plays that role... I dont know why DB couldnt. Not saying their outputs are the same, but their playstyle is the same. They are about being quick and add finesse the DT position as opposed to just bull rush play after play.

Good points. I’m just excited to finally see some strategic defensive playcalling for a change. Should be fun seeing Evero and Capers move these chess pieces around.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1