• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2023 Draft general

Verge

Thank you for the thread Verge, in particular the tidbit about Carolina preferring AR v Levis (very reassuring to me).

I’ve disagreed with your QB evaluations before (in particular about Willis and Fields) but always appreciated the time and effort you put into them. Thanks for still being around these parts. 

• Pie 3

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Young is just too good at playing QB to last long on the board. Yeah, his small stature definitely raises questions about how long he'll last on the field and watching Tua get ragdolled around last year should still be fresh on everyone's mind. But still, someone is gonna take their chances high on draft night. Hell, it might be us.

Especially considering Kyler went 1st overall and honestly on the field he is a very good player without his size really limiting him at all (and of course Brees and Wilson have had zero issues). Kyler's biggest issue by far is his attitude/commitment. Which is not a concern at all with Young. I like Stroud better but Stroud/Young are clearly the top 2 in a tier of their own in this draft IMO.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, t96 said:

Especially considering Kyler went 1st overall and honestly on the field he is a very good player without his size really limiting him at all (and of course Brees and Wilson have had zero issues). Kyler's biggest issue by far is his attitude/commitment. Which is not a concern at all with Young. I like Stroud better but Stroud/Young are clearly the top 2 in a tier of their own in this draft IMO.

Yeah, it was alarming when they felt the need to put a film study clause in his contract and then those comments from his former teammate Adrian Peterson about "Kyler Murray don't care about NOBODY but Kyler Murray". Like... damn. Y'all should've traded that dude for whatever you could've gotten and moved on.

• Pie 3

14 hours ago, Jaxel said:

@Verge what is your sense of where the Panther ultimately land and who they take? I'm personally hoping they go all in and jump to one, but realistically what is your insight?

I think they will try to go to one but be unable. I think they like the top three guys enough to jump to three, similar to the Goff/Wentz situation years ago when Philly went to 2. 

6 hours ago, Icege said:

Any chance we can get a peek at your top 5 LBs & TEs? 👀

Overall thoughts on both of those groups for this class as well?

I am still doing reports on some of these guys but 

Off ball LB: 
1. Drew Sanders 
2. Trenton Simpson 
3. Daiyan Henley 
4. Henry To'o To'o
5. Noah Sewell 

TE: 
1. Dalton Kincaid 
2. Darnell Washington 
3. Michael Mayer 
4. Luke Musgrave 
5. Sam LaPorta 

I think it is a very deep tight end class, a not so deep linebacker class. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Thanks as always Verge. I don't always agree with the assessments but always appreciate them. 

Plus, let's be real, no one really knows one way or the other if these guys pan out or not. It's a crapshoot with more variables than damn near any other sport. Ever since Zach Wilson I've decided I don't really know crap and am willing to accept literally anyone we draft in the first round this year. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

There's just sooooo many variables involved and plenty of them have nothing to do with talent level. How is this kid going to handle being made a millionaire overnight? Will his game translate to the NFL? Is he going to be put in a good organizational/coaching/schematic system for him to thrive? Does he have the mental makeup to succeed at the NFL level? How is he going to adapt when everyone is almost as talented as he is? 

The raw talent is fairly obvious in a lot of cases. There was a TON to like about Zach Wilson in terms of raw talent but I'm pretty sure if I'd spent three minutes in an interview with him I'd been like... "uh... fug. RUN AWAY!" LOL!

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, Verge said:

I think they will try to go to one but be unable. I think they like the top three guys enough to jump to three, similar to the Goff/Wentz situation years ago when Philly went to 2. 

This scares me 

because I think Young and Stroud go 1 and 2

Thanks for what you do @Verge! I would love to get CJ or Bryce - though his size scares me. I would be very intrigued by AR. He seems to have the highest ceiling but also the lowest floor. If Levis is the pick I would not be as thrilled, but if that is who the staff likes, I will get on board and hope for the best. 

• Beer 1