• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bears spoke to 3 teams at the combine about the first overall pick: know they can get 1sts in 2024 and 2025

Varking

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Let's be real. If we swing for the fences what's the worst that can happen? We suck and lose games? If we don't what's the worst that can happen? We suck and lose games?

Anyone still left in Pantherdom is clearly no fairweather fan and can take losing.

We'll be fine one way or the other. At least we didn't trade the franchise for a serial rapist or hire the architect of Bountygate. I can take losing. I can't take that poo.

The worst that could happen is we suck bad enough for the Bears to have the 1st overall pick next year and we still don't have a qb.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It doesn't matter what any of us think is going to work.  The only thing you can control is how you choose to let it effect you. Whatever they do it either works or it doesn't.  As far as I'm concerned I hope it does because I'm tired of watching bad football from our team. I've learned to laugh at it but I'm to the point of crying so I'm hoping for the best. 

Everyone is incredibly excited about this team because of the coaching staff.  This team has holes but a real vision for the future.  QB is the answer or curse for the Panthers.  I personally believe in Fitty and the coaches to get this as close to right as possible.  The division is right there for the taking

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

Did anyone ever think the bears are getting us down in a bid war? Wash your hands and stay put. 

The Panthers would be wise to hold out for a bit to see who's in on the war before i started bidding.  I'm sure they've set an offer on the table already.  I would let FA play out before I made any other offer.  The Bears are in a rush to make a deal as it's to their advantage. It's to our advantage to make them sweat a bit because they already know that the Panthers will have the best offer. Let them bring a better offer forward after we know who is actually in play and not speculated to be interested. 

17 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The Panthers would be wise to hold out for a bit to see who's in on the war before i started bidding.  I'm sure they've set an offer on the table already.  I would let FA play out before I made any other offer.  The Bears are in a rush to make a deal as it's to their advantage. It's to our advantage to make them sweat a bit because they already know that the Panthers will have the best offer. Let them bring a better offer forward after we know who is actually in play and not speculated to be interested. 

Yeah, as long as we've expressed serious interest I'm sure the Bears would loop back around to see if we want to sweeten the pot on our offer. The biggest thing working against us might be the Bears preferring not to slide all the way down to #9 from #1.

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, as long as we've expressed serious interest I'm sure the Bears would loop back around to see if we want to sweeten the pot on our offer. The biggest thing working against us might be the Bears preferring not to slide all the way down to #9 from #1.

The one thing we cannot control is how far they are willing to drop. You may have to sacrifice a player you do not want to part with to convince them.

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

yeah, tons of team's names are going to get thrown into the hat by experts but we all know it ends being only a few teams really jockeying. Every has their own plan for that position and they arent the same plan either. When Poles mentions 3 teams have called about the 1 pick... thats pretty much telling us common folk that there is only 2-3 teams that are even interested. 

The more i think about it, the more I think teams mortgaging 3 1s for this crop of QBs would be boneheaded. Since there is clearly not a bonified number 1 pick in this draft.

Thread/

After listening to King talk to Eisen (and reading the article in the OP) I am fairly confident the Panthers are the team that has offered three 1st round picks. It's just a matter of the Bears accepting the deal.

• The compensation mentioned (three 1sts) is right around the LV, ATL, CAR block
  • King later mentions that Poles wants a blue chip player but they only have 6-8 on the board (somehow that just outside the range of pick #9) 🤔

"Poles wants to be sure he gets a “blue player,” his term for a premier first-rounder—and there may be only six or eight of those when the Bears end up setting their board."

• Only one of IND, LV, ATL are involved in trade up talks since King mentioned Poles only spoke with 3 teams (in the article) and one of them was farther down [than Carolina] per his conversation with Eisen (around the 2:50 mark of the video). 
  • I don't think LV is heavily involved because Poles mentioned Derek Carr (in the article) as an alternative option for some teams. Then again this quote could specifically be about the Panthers.

"But then there’s teams that want some certainty because, ‘If I need a quarterback bad, should I do that now when some of these guys, like Derek Carr, are out there?’"

• I don't think ATL is involved because the timing doesn't make sense (Coach in his 3rd year needs to win) and there isn't any smoke. 
  • I think the teams interested in moving to pick #1 are IND, CAR, and TEN/WAS

If Poles already has that offer why wait? I think they don't want to drop down to pick #9 and are waiting for IND to up their offer knowing neither IND or CAR will go the veteran route again. Both teams telegraphed this with their lukewarm pursuit of Derek Carr (and Lamar Jackson).

Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

So if we are offering to move up to 1 has the panthers already decided that Corral is nothing more than a backup? They seemed stoked to have drafted him last year

I think its pretty clear what they think about corral. Lol

28 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

So if we are offering to move up to 1 has the panthers already decided that Corral is nothing more than a backup? They seemed stoked to have drafted him last year

I think they realize they cannot let a question mark at the position linger any further regardless of how they feel about him. 

• Pie 2