• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Via Panthers Wire via The Athletic , Person says we like AR, but not enough. Buzz about the 3rd

top dawg

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

There may be some people who just want to move to one to move to one. There are some people who just want to draft a QB in the first just to draft a QB. What I am saying is that in order to get the QB that you want, and not just any old QB by default just because he's there or the one that's left, you must move to one. Otherwise, what's the point if you're not going to get your guy because you let someone move in front of you and draft him instead?

I agree with this. If you have a clear number one QB, you have to go to one to make sure you get him. Not sure how many people want the first pick just because. That was an odd take.

1 minute ago, SaltAndPepper said:

Well I think Richardson has the size and arm to unlike Willis, and he played in the SEC, so he's a first rounder. He could fall though if CAR doesn't pick him at 9

Richardson can also process what's in front of him. Something that Willis couldn't do from the games I watched.

https://theathletic.com/4281118/2023/03/07/nfl-mock-draft-cj-stroud-dane-brugler-combine/

Dane Brugler's Mock has us trading up to 4 with chicago. The thing that interested me here is "The interview portion was more of a mixed bag" which is contrary to what other reports said, that he was sensational in board work on Friday. 

4. Carolina Panthers (from Chicago): Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida*

Projected trade: Nos. 9, 61 and a 2024 first-round pick to Chicago for No. 4

As expected, Richardson created a buzz with his on-field combine work. The interview portion was more of a mixed bag, but his natural talent will be too enticing. The word from other teams is that Panthers owner David Tepper is on a mission to invest in a young, exciting quarterback who gives the franchise a long-term direction. A Carolina quarterback room of Jacoby Brissett and Anthony Richardson is a plausible scenario for 2023.

(Indy traded up to 1 to take Bryce)

1 minute ago, SaltAndPepper said:

https://theathletic.com/4281118/2023/03/07/nfl-mock-draft-cj-stroud-dane-brugler-combine/

Dane Brugler's Mock has us trading up to 4 with chicago. The thing that interested me here is "The interview portion was more of a mixed bag" which is contrary to what other reports said, that he was sensational in board work on Friday. 

As expected, Richardson created a buzz with his on-field combine work. The interview portion was more of a mixed bag, but his natural talent will be too enticing. The word from other teams is that Panthers owner David Tepper is on a mission to invest in a young, exciting quarterback who gives the franchise a long-term direction. A Carolina quarterback room of Jacoby Brissett and Anthony Richardson is a plausible scenario for 2023.

That’s interesting because I, too, had heard he was doing really well in the interview process, with some even saying it was the best they’d had in years. Of course, everything is probably smoke and mirrors this time of year.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, App Panther said:

Is AR this year's Malik Willis? I remember there were some on here ready to take Malik in the 1st, and many mocks had him going in the first. Two entirely different QBs, but possible correlation between media hype and what the actual professionals think... 

Feel like the media hype last year was more people thinking teams would reach on QBs because QB when there’s a bit more conviction among them on Richardson this year in terms of actual rankings. 

That whole class last year was pumped up a bit we saw it with what we got with Corral as well with people predicting late first early second with him. 

We’ll see when the draft happens but ARich feels a lot more real than Willis did, also his tape shows a lot more top tier QB traits than just athleticism. Really comes down to how you feel about his accuracy issues and correcting them. People that like him see it’s an inexperienced QB who has a lot of inconsistencies especially in his base when he throws but that are very fixable, those who don’t just think he’s always going to be inaccurate.

1 minute ago, Tarheel119 said:

That’s interesting because I, too, had heard he was doing really well in the interview process, with some even saying it was the best they’d had in years. Of course, everything is probably smoke and mirrors this time of year.

It was probably his agents now, looking back at it. 

50 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Richardson can also process what's in front of him. Something that Willis couldn't do from the games I watched.

Richardson had the lowest Pressure to Sack rate last season while in Willis senior year he had the highest pressure to sack rate.

Richardson knows how to move in the pocket, knows when to pull the cord and run and more importantly is a beast to bring down.

I want stroud something fierce but if we end up with AR I am not complaining.  Dude looks like he could be fun with good coaching and a good offense.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, SaltAndPepper said:

I have no idea what to believe in lying season about the interviews. But if we take Richardson I sure hope we were blown away. There are zero questions about his physical talent. He's literally one of the best raw talent QB prospects ever. All the questions come down to how coachable he is and what you think he can develop into. If you're not very impressed in the interviews you should probably just pass.

6 hours ago, csx said:

I feel like people get some specific gratification about drafting 1st overall for the sake of it.

The  "just trade to 1 to be safe" strategy seems really absurd. It's emotion driven.

Emotion driven is wanting to bring "Cam 2.0" or "Cam Jackson" to Charlotte.

I spent an extraordinary amount of time during the college season (and holidays) watching QB prospects. In the case of some, like Bryce Young & CJ Stroud, I went back to a few games from the previous season. Now, I'm just another buffoon on the Huddle, but I've started going back and repeating the process with my old notes tucked away so as not to influence me (can't remember anything other than really enjoying watching Max Duggan play, so again, just another buffoon here). The tape shows that Will Levis was sabotaged by his team more than any other QB that I've watched this past season. 

Out of the other top 4 QBs, AR + Stroud's OLs gave up just 12 sacks. Bama's gave up 18. Kentucky? 33. 

And that's including 4 to Miami (OH), 4 to Florida, 5 to Northern Illinois (Kentucky's defense logged 0), 3 to Ole Miss, 4 to Tennessee, 5 to Mizzou, and 4 to Vanderbilt.

Kentucky's OL gave up more sacks against Northern Illinois, Miami (OH), and Vandy than Florida and Ohio State gave up their entire seasons. The only game that the Kentucky OL didn't give up a sack was against Youngstown State.

Considering that along with Levis being dinged up with a new OC... a lot of his struggles make sense. There's rough edges to be smoothed out with good coaching, sure, but the only prospect that doesn't require that is 5'11" 204lbs. That's not exactly something that they can be coached out of.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2