• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Confused Why Some Seem to Think We Got Fleeced

Daddy_Uncle

57 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Because Fitterer will choose the wrong player. 

If he was the only brain in the room, as was the case with the past two seasons, then you'd have a legit concern.

There are now quite a few more adults in the room, much more knowledgeable than him and who, because they were chosen for the all important job of getting the QB situation fixed,will have a LOT of pull in the decision.

And I know they will have a lot of pull because they were picked for their years of combined experience and wisdom. 

You do not hire that team of coaches and then do whatever you damn well please.... especially  when all you've done is fail at picking a QB.

You hire these guys and you ask the question, "Who do you want for a QB? Who do you, wise sages, think is the best available QB? Say the name, and I will make it happen."

Fitt's talent is making a deal happen after being told by the counill of coaches "this is the guy who will take this franchise to the top, can you get him?" Fitt's response is, "yes, here it is. Here is the path. You go get your QB."

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I was actually shocked how low the price was.

This is what I was gonna post, welp ty for that.

Listen I like DJ Moore a lot but the truth is he didn't exactly blow the lid off. We've seen better WRs with the same type of poo QB(see Nuk) who just ball out anyway. (Even our own Smitty....DJ Moore is a good player but not a game breaker.

• Pie 2

Just now, rayzor said:

If he was the only brain in the room, as was the case with the past two seasons, then you'd have a legit concern.

There are now quite a few more adults in the room, much more knowledgeable than him and who, because they were chosen for the all important job of getting the QB situation fixed,will have a LOT of pull in the decision.

And I know they will have a lot of pull because they were picked for their years of combined experience and wisdom. 

You do not hire that team of coaches and then do whatever you damn well please.... especially  when all you've done is fail at picking a QB.

You hire these guys and you ask the question, "Who do you want for a QB? Who do you, wise sages, think is the best available QB? Say the name, and I will make it happen."

Fitt's talent is making a deal happen after being told by the counill of coaches "this is the guy who will take this franchise to the top, can you get him?" Fitt's response is, "yes, here it is. Here is the path. You go get your QB."

Who do you think they have in mind for No. 1?

Without this deal there’s a high chance we wouldn’t have a QB ready take advantage of DJ within his window. The next 2-3 years are his prime and that just doesn’t fit with what we’re trying to do right now. He is a win now piece and a we’re not a win now team. If trading him ends the QB search it was well worth it.

Same mentality as the CMC trade but an even better deal. Masterful stuff by Fitterer.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

All any of us are doing is predicting what'll happen and that's all we'll continue to do. Predict and react. 

The thing that concerns me most is that when I've loved a major trade, it turned out pretty well (Olsen in 2011 comes to mind among others), and when I hated it or it even gave me pause (Darnold trade, but even moreso the Henderson trade) I tried to justify it but ultimately thought it sucked. And, it did. 

The last time this team spent a first-round pick on a guy I didn't want, and who turned out great, was 2005. 

And as far as the WR room, I do not believe Fitterer is capable of upgrading or even treading water there. He drafts bad WRs, and is prone to being sold lemons quite easily. The pass-catchers he's acquired are not good players. Shenault is a decent WR4. The others, just my opinion, won't get a single start whenever they leave here.

Again, you are operating under the assumption that he will get who he wants and Reich&Co won't have input or don't have a clue or their opinions are irrelevant.

It has to be one of those options.

Or, you could leave on at this coaching staff and understand that they were hired to fix the team and Fitt's job is to listen to what THEY want and then make it happen.

If this was a team of inexperienced coaches, then Fitt would probably have to balance his experience and knowledge with their lack of it. This isn't the case. 

That’s because they’re not Panther fans (and even fans don’t get it) and know what DJ is. Everyone outside fans are just looking at his stats. Dillusonal fans on the inside are just depraved since 89. 

Most don’t understand where all those yards actually came from. From someone who has watched games over and over let me tell you.

It’s true he’s had garbage QBs. But it’s also true his team has been losing consistently since he’s been here. Meaning often down points and the opposing teams playing bend not break scenarios, especially second half.

Thats when DJ shines. Gaining yards in garbage time. Want a stat that tells you that? Look at his TDs. It’s simple. He disappears when yards are at a premium and in the redzone. That’s why it looks so lopsided. He also gives up blocks quite often and routes too.

Now make no mistake he hasn’t had much help. And he does make some clutch catches every now in then. I’m not saying he’s worthless with no talent. And this does leave the Panthers desperate for a WR (which is the main reason Moore was never traded in the first place imo).

But as I have always said and got poo for here, he is not a #1, or close to it. He isn’t a difference maker. Smitty called him out twice for motivation issues. He isn’t going to bail Fields out of anything. Just watch. He’d be better with a QB like Rodgers imo. 

Maybe people can be more objective now that he’s gone since this board is weird like that.

In any case to the topic, I feel at most this trade was pretty damn equal, but I feel we got the upper hand just slightly. Also considering one of those seconds is basically closer to being a third.

Only way we get fleeced is if Reich gets us a top 5 pick next year. That’s on him not the trade.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, MechaZain said:

Without this deal there’s a high chance we wouldn’t have a QB ready take advantage of DJ within his window. The next 2-3 years are his prime and that just doesn’t fit with what we’re trying to do right now. He is a win now piece and a we’re not a win now team. If trading him ends the QB search it was well worth it.

Same mentality as the CMC trade but an even better deal. Masterful stuff by Fitterer.

Giving away all your win-now pieces and very likely getting lose-now and lose-later pieces does not make a team better. Soon as they mentioned Moore, I'd be out. But Fitterer gets convinced of a trade, and the other team knows it can get whatever it wants, because he will always back down.

• Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Who do you think they have in mind for No. 1?

I'm leaning towards 1) Stroud, and 2) Young. 

Honestly a great case could be made for both and I think both excel in the league and will do so for a long time. Young is more exciting, but Stroud is the better passer. I've thought this all along. 

I think that Stroud is the better long term answer just because I think QBs who rely on their arms more than their legs last longer, but I don't think overall it's a big difference between the two. 

I think Young is better in front of the camera than Stroud, but that's also not a huge concern.

It will be one of those two, though. And I'll be stoked for either one with no buyers remorse.