• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Natalie Miller (aka Verge): per her sources, Panthers moved up to #1 to take Bryce Young

TheSpecialJuan

11 minutes ago, frankw said:

For sure some do have legit sources but they are fewer and far between and information can be unreliable and also circumstances can change. To my recollection the final chapter of the Deshaun Watson to Carolina saga left several folks with claims of sources in our local market with egg on their faces. After that I take most of these claims with a dose of skepticism. That's just the state of sports "journalism".

Sure, and that's your prerogative. But to disparage any potential insider information as false just because the source isn't named, which is what bully consistently does, is foolish. You have to go by the record of each individual reporter/journalist. I'm not saying that you have to believe someone who claims to have sources, but if you didn't believe anyone who doesn't give their sources away then that would preclude you from believing anyone at all, even Schefter and Rapoport.

Common sense says the Texans don't want to deal with Stroud bc the agent he has represented  Watson... so if Houston really wants Young... this would cause the ultimate scenario  to transpire where we could drop 1 spot and take Stroud and gain a pick or 2. 

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

The catch-22 is, if the Panthers wanted Young and knew the Texans wanted Young, then why trade down. So in the act of trading down, the Texans know the Panthers want somebody else. Therefore, the Texans have no reason to trade up. But they won’t know unless they try to trade up…

Yeah exactly, this is why I don't see any chance at all that we even try to trade down, probably just "reports" to continue to drive interest in the draft and all the media coverage surrounding it for the 6 weeks leading up to it. Also I don't really buy that we don't already have a guy in mind. No reason for us to tip our hand so we'll say otherwise but I think we're already pretty damn set on either Young or Stroud.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's real simple. If you want to take Verge's input seriously, go for it. If you don't, don't. I mean, what else is there to talk about right now? We're likely going to be going round and round about this pick between now and April 27th so just buckle up and enjoy the ride.

we have over a month to go and im already wanting to go into a voluntary coma until draft day

poo is driving me nuts

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Cam was fairly raw when he came out, and most people do not realize that he was below 60% completions for his career.  At Auburn in 2010 Cam was at 66%--so his accuracy dropped--(pro system vs. spread)

Problem is Richardson is missing more than just his completion percentage. Accuracy is a major issue. As much as I loved Cam I got real tired of his over throws. 
Richardson isn’t worthy of a #1 pick. You don’t trade up to 1 for a project player who has a ton of questions. We could potentially have gotten Richardson at 9. 
You trade up to one for a player you could put in day one. 
Richardson is just too raw needs too much work. 
If we got him at 9 I would have patience. At 1 I will have less so. 
Richardson and Levis aren’t in the running despite what the media is playing up. It is between Stroud and Young. 
Always has been. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I think it's fair to say we're very high on both Young & Stroud, but if Houston gave enough for #1, we'd have no problem with a swap.  That's the case if we really feel like it's a 1A/B situation and not 1/2.  

If they are dead even in our evaluations and we truly can't decide then maybe. But if it's a 1a/1b you 100% just stay at 1, don't fug around, and take the guy you like a bit better. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

Common sense says the Texans don't want to deal with Stroud bc the agent he has represented  Watson... so if Houston really wants Young... this would cause the ultimate scenario  to transpire where we could drop 1 spot and take Stroud and gain a pick or 2. 

Well, that's a new and interesting take on the situation. Not sure if it really matters, but it certainly could.

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Bryce Young and the QB size dilemma. 

This article summarizes it quite well, imo.  Basically compares Young to other small QBs.  "He will officially register as a uniquely small player—one that will force one NFL team to take one of the greatest risks, one of the biggest plunges, that we’ve seen in any draft cycle. And he’ll start his journey to become one of the league’s greatest outliers."

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-draft/2023/3/3/23623742/bryce-young-height-short-nfl-combine-outlier

Few questions arise when reading this. Most of it, is lack of information. I would want a more in depth analysis.

Just a quick look, and it seems the hit rate on 6 feet or shorter QBs are marginally higher than for QBs above 6.

My guess, have to be good prospects to even be considered.

But what i would find interesting is:

Are smaller players more injury prone? and are there statics for QBs? 

Does battered balls correlate with height or any "scheme"?

Does success correlate with height/weight compared to (talent) draft/undraft position. 

I would think there is a selection being made during school and from high school to college, were bigger guys are given more  chances but that smaller guys with the obvious talent do get a shot. 

Just like in icehockey, were for many years, it didnt matter if you could skate, if you was a bigger defender you could get drafted "just because". 

Same selection is being made in Swedish football, kids born earlier on the year, are more often picked for regional all-star teams which gives them an advantage to become pros.

sure, the panthers have a plan and preference and have a QB1

but us fans don't know a gat damn thing and i think its stupid as fug to act like they do.  Even breaking down film.  SIT THE fug DOWN you don't know a fugin thing. get the fug off youtube loser!! most of you should be worrying about how you are going to reach around and clean your fat ass crack, let alone worry about who the panthers are gunna take.  if yall could build your life like you could build the panthers, maybe you wouldnt be the king of man tits and grease stains  

my .02

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yeah exactly, this is why I don't see any chance at all that we even try to trade down, probably just "reports" to continue to drive interest in the draft and all the media coverage surrounding it for the 6 weeks leading up to it. Also I don't really buy that we don't already have a guy in mind. No reason for us to tip our hand so we'll say otherwise but I think we're already pretty damn set on either Young or Stroud.

I think they are also trying to get Indy involved. If the Texans think their division rival is about to jump then to take their QB, they may give up something to prevent that.

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Well, that's a new and interesting take on the situation. Not sure if it really matters, but it certainly could.

It presents an interesting negotiating dynamic.  The rookie wages at the top of the draft are pretty well established.  Offsetting language is the only possible sticking point to the rookie deals.  The team could play hardball but neither side could really afford to mess this up.

But people are stupid, so who knows?