• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to use Luvu and Chinn

MHS831

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Luvu is a 3-4 edge rusher. I still won't be shocked to see Chinn traded. He's a helluva talent but he just doesn't fit what these defensive coaches are talking about running. He's a prototype cover 3 strong safety. If we want to run a 3-4 front with two deep safeties Chinn just doesn't fit.

I don't think Luvu is long enough to be a full-time 3-4 edge rusher. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, imminent rogaine said:

I think I’m in the minority but I see Luvu as ILB not OLB. Not entirely sure where Chinn fits in the base package but I imagine we will be heavy on DBs a lot of the time and he will be in the middle  of the field.

I envision sending Luvu on blitzes and filling in w Chinn. They are both pretty lethal around the line, getting in the backfield and being disruptive.

I could see us trading Chinn but I really hope we keep him and keep loading Evero with toys. Our good years have come with elite defenses. Time to bring back that tradition.

As a rookie Chinn was our best player on defence - he tackled everything and cleaned up a whole lot from that Star / Rover position.

They converted him to S and he just looked lost - too far from the line of scrimmage to make tons of tackles and not quite good enough in coverage to play S. 

I'm fascinated to see what they do with him next year - there's an All-Pro talent there to unlock imo. 

• Beer 1

Luvu is great against the run inside, he was in the backfield immediately multiple times last year. The only thing I worry about is if Chinn is only a situational guy teams will figure out our defense tendencies pretty quickly. Not worried about Haynes and Barno coming off the edge in a 3-4 nearly as much as YGM at edge in a 4-3

34 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I don't think Luvu is long enough to be a full-time 3-4 edge rusher. 

Which is why we need another long athletic body opposite of Burns. 3-4 edge rushers need to be long and athletic. Imagine if we hit on another edge rusher this defense will be scary to deal with.

Draft edge in 2nd play Luvu at ILB and edge like he played a lot last season. Luvu has great pursuit and get off so you can move him around at both spots. The rookie would not have to play as many snaps that way.

Chinn will be on the field, they will not be in 3-4 base much, more Nik(3 safeties) and he will also be the dime LB. 

I have been going back and looking at the D from last season the Panthers ran a lot of 3man fronts (3DTs) with standup rushers I don't think this D will be that lost with the "scheme" change

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

How the Panthers plan to use Luvu is of interest to me, and I am hoping that some Huddler not addicted to someone else's prescription drugs can help.  At WSU, Luvu played both LB and Edge.  Since then, he has excelled here in Charlotte, but he has not been given 3-4 duties yet. 

Here is the depth at Each position, ILB and Edge OLB:

ILB:  Smith, Thompson (Chinn at times?)

EDGE: Burns, Barno, Haynes (Gross-Matos?)

`Note:  Fitterer said that Chinn will play a lot at the big nickel.  Gross-Matos may become a situational inside rusher (DE).

The Draft:  Seems to be weak at ILB, loaded with Edge rushers.

Questions

• Who will start at ILB opposite Thompson?
  • Where will Chinn play when not in the big nickel?

Here is my dilemma:  I sorta want Luvu at an ILB, but is that wasting his versatility and skill set?  Is he good enough to play opposite Burns as strictly a pass rusher (with coverage skills?)  Will Chinn play ILB when not playing big nickel? 

I am so confused about this--and the answer to all these questions might simply be, "Yes."  These are hybrids who can play multiple positions, but that does not help me prepare for the draft--which is more needed:  ILB or Edge? 

What are your opinions.  Help me off the ledge.

Fail Dumb Ways To Die GIF

Can definitely see Luvu take on a variety of roles. In the 3-4 the ILB blitz a lot that's why you see people prefer size at 3-4 ILB versus a 4-3 MLB who you want to patrol the middle of the field. Luvu may be a bit undersized but that hasn't stopped him from making plays near the LoS and in the backfield. I can definitely see him moved around a lot, same with Chinn. We have a lot of versatility on defense between those 2 players alone. I could see their uses differ from week to week depending on who our opponent is and their tendencies

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

i actually read the post just now (sorry @MHS831)

I agree.  I think Luvu should play inside.  Just cause the mother fuger racked up some sacks and TFL doesn't mean he should be a damn 3-4 OLB.  Keep that MF in the middle and blitz his ass from time to time. Hes got that build anyway.  

regardless, our defense is talented and flexible as fug.  thats a DC's dream right there.  Yeah, we need to solidify a base defense and make sure we have the right guys in the right place..

but with a DC as gifted as Evero, and some wisdom being passed down by Capers, This dude is going to be confusing the fug outa a lot of QBs this year.  Its going to be a sack and int show dude. you got several dudes that can line up in several places and can do several things.  bro..  let Evero dial up some poo. we still got the draft and an active GM makin moves. We will have the basic needs filled. But damn, we have several "hybrid" dudes and a DC that will put them in position to make some QB and OC heads spin. 

im excited

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, RJK said:

Luvu can be just as valuable against the run and blitzing from the ILB spot as the edge. Chinn is the one that doesn’t fit unfortunately. 

As a big nickel only--but he is too good to limit his play like that.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

As a big nickel only--but he is too good to limit his play like that.

Chinns problem is he doesn't cover very well in space which is what you need your DBs and even LBs at times to do. That limits the amount of packages and roles he will play in. It is something he can become better at it just depends if the coaching staff thinks he's worth it or not. Time will tell unfortunately we still have a long offseason ahead of us and he can be traded or released (not likely to happen) at any point.

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin
  • Pie 1