• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

Do we think Georgia Stroud is the Stroud we’re getting moving forward?

He’s always shown flashes throughout games of being that player but never to that level. For every play he’s made with his legs there’s a few plays where his footwork goes out the window due to pressure.

There’s 2 seasons worth of tape for them to look at and make a good enough guess as to who he’ll be moving forward. Stroud’s accuracy and ball placement is better than Young’s but that’s when there’s a clean pocket. Stroud was given a lot of space back there most plays, space he won’t have in the NFL often. 

I’m enjoying watching these two because I wasn’t leaning either way going into it. I started off wanting Stroud but I’m slowly wanting Bryce more now

It's hard to say because he was never asked to do that at OSU.

I think the UGA game showed that he is absolutely capable of it. I did hear the Locked on Panthters podcast with an OSU beat guy that made it sound like the UGA game was more of an outlier. He did think Stroud was capable, but he didn't seem sold that he will 100% be that guy at the NFL level. 

Stroud has said as much that he wished he ran more in college. In that system with the insane level of talent, he really didn't have to scramble too much. I will say that when he did, it wasn't always pretty. It was 50-50 with smart angles and pocket movement vs. sloppy feet and retreating in the pocket.

The biggest concern with CJ7 is what happens when the pocket isn't clean and how he navigates the noise. Also, we know he is very good at processing and anticipation (though not as good as BY), but can he do it at a high level in the NFL without the talent and ideal situation he was in at OSU.

I don't guestion that Young can. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

I agree, if that’s who you think you’re getting moving forward then you absolutely take him over Bryce

He has shown he is capable of being that guy against an elite defense.  We have a more than capable staff that will be working with him.  I hope they will be able to get the best out of any player we draft and that appeared to be his best.  Of course with that line of thinking AR would be an extreme case of getting the best out of a player.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He has shown he is capable of being that guy against an elite defense.  We have a more than capable staff that will be working with him.  I hope they will be able to get the best out of any player we draft and that appeared to be his best.  Of course with that line of thinking AR would be an extreme case of getting the best out of a player.

He showed it once throughout an entire game during his 2 seasons worth of games

I said early on his athleticism is slept on BUT he doesn’t consistently use it. Instead his footwork gets sloppy and he has a habit of drifting away when throwing under pressure 

Edited by *FreeFua*

9 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

He showed it once throughout an entire game during his 2 seasons worth of games

I said early on his athleticism is slept on BUT he doesn’t consistently use it. Instead his footwork gets sloppy and he has a habit of drifting away when throwing under pressure 

I get it, but a majority of the time he was crushing teams from the pocket.  I mean last year he only lost to Michigan outside of that UGA game.  He wasn't really struggling with his league best QB rating.  He isn't going to run unless he needs to.  You have a fair point though.  There were several games he should have used his legs more but opted not to throughout his career.  He said he left it all on the field against UGA.  Do you think Reich and Co can get him to consistently leave it all on the field?

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

This is coming from a hard-core Auburn fan and alum (whose son also fits both descriptions):

I flippin’ love Bryce over Stroud and I hope that the Panthers make that choice.

No offense to an AU fan, but the game breakdown on QB School at Auburn in '21 was one of a few clips that opened my eyes to Bryce as an elite prospect. What he did in that environment translates over to the NFL.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Here are the stats of a pro football qb that was only 5'10 and 180 lbs. 

Throwing for a total of 

56,070 yards and 362 TDs. 

Pretty damn good career. 

Yeah if we were A CFL team

Guys stop comparing him to Flutie, he started 3 years in the NFL

Edited by jfra78