• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Examining The First 3 Rounds

MHS831

On 4/2/2023 at 8:40 AM, 45catfan said:

QB, TE, WR, OLB/Edge, RB, S--in that order.

I think we have to hit on a couple of defensive players to make a playoff run. We've already addressed the offensive side so much. TE and WR are certainly areas that could benefit from a young playmaker, and if the right guy drops, I have no issue picking one, but I would prefer D.

3 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I think we have to hit on a couple of defensive players to make a playoff run. We've already addressed the offensive side so much. TE and WR are certainly areas that could benefit from a young playmaker, and if the right guy drops, I have no issue picking one, but I would prefer D.

We mainly have addressed the defense for a couple of years.  It's time to concentrate on the offense.  You want young skill players to grow together and while we have FAs pick ups this offseason at all of those spots, they are short-term solutions.  We need 3-4 picks on the offensive side of the ball in the draft.  Maybe Fitts trades back so we can get another pick or two to devote to the defense.  If not, I'm fine with only one or two picks in the draft on D.

• Pie 1

On 4/2/2023 at 9:11 AM, ForJimmy said:

I will never complain about building up our trenches. OL/DL picks are always a welcome sight in the draft IMO. We need depth at both plus some eventual replacements as you stated.

I think we should take a mid to late round OL/DL guy every draft. Mays and McCall both contributed last year. I also think that we re-sign Erving before all is said and done, and hope he never has to start. He is a decent backup swing tackle.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

So the plethora of bodies at one positions is inadequate, but just enough JAGs at other potions is fine?  I'm not against drafting a corner, but we have guys for days there, just not ones folks here are high on apparently.

Scary to think of how much draft capital (and Donte’s contract) we’ve spent in recent drafts including two trades for picks and the only faith people have is in the CB picked 8th overall, who has missed significant time including our only chance at a playoff spot in years. 

• Pie 2

i'd love us to pick up another vet edge guy. 

draft after QB i want us to focus on WR/TE/CB. I have no real preference to order, just BPA of each of them after round 1. ideally we'd also be able to add to the OL every draft, but i'm not sure if we'll be able to.

i actually wouldn't mind if we were to sacrifice our last couple picks in moving up to help make sure we get all three of those addressed. take the BPA at 39 and then move up to get those other two.

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

CB is a bigger need than we seem to realize--even if Action Jaxon were healthy, which he is not.  I was hoping for a free agent--but crickets.

I think we land someone in the final round of cuts after TC. There's usually a nice influx of vets that get let go. 

Agreed, we need another vet out there and wouldn't be mad about using our #39 on it as well. I'd prefer DJax in the slot TBH. Low-end CB2/High-end CB3. 

• Pie 1

On 4/1/2023 at 4:51 PM, Tr3ach said:

I know a lot of people see edge as a huge need but i just dont understand it.  Especially considering we will be in 34 probably 20% of the time.  Burns, luvu, haynes, and barno seem fine for now.  A need sure, one of the biggest?   I just dont see it.  Is it because everyone is excited about the switch to 34 and edge is kind of a flashy new toy?  I would say de is more of a need right now as far as the transition.   Evero's scheme is built around having a very talented secondary.  The rest of the posistions are more plug and play with solid players who know their role.  I appreciate all the work you did on your post.

The drop off in D last year with the loss of Reddick was jaw dropping. Pressure the QB and you make your corners look better.

Henderson has been horrible with little sign of hope.  Jackson did not have a great year even before the achilles.  Horn broke another bone. 

We need a great corner.  We need a great DE to help those corners.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

Between QB and CB, (with all those draft picks spent) we could have stocked a team just about

It’s awful to think about.

QB wise:

Picks - 2 firsts, 3 seconds, 1 third and 2 fourths (got a 6th back for Teddy)

Cap - over $60M plus the rookie deal

CB wise:

Picks - 1 first, 1 third, 1 fourth, 1 fifth and 1 sixth

Cap - $36M for Donte plus the rookie deals

To think that we spent all that for Horn and Young/Stroud and a gaggle of easily replaced guys. $100M in cap and 3 firsts, 3 second, 2 thirds, 3 fourths and a couple more. SMH.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, 45catfan said:

So the plethora of bodies at one positions is inadequate, but just enough JAGs at other potions is fine?  I'm not against drafting a corner, but we have guys for days there, just not ones folks here are high on apparently.

A lot has to do with who plays where, how often are we in "Big nickel"--no, I am not happy with Henderson, Taylor, etc.  And the 2 starters we have are rarely healthy.  On paper, I agree, unless that paper is the medical report.

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

The drop off in D last year with the loss of Reddick was jaw dropping. Pressure the QB and you make your corners look better.

Henderson has been horrible with little sign of hope.  Jackson did not have a great year even before the achilles.  Horn broke another bone. 

We need a great corner.  We need a great DE to help those corners.

Evero's scheme relies on great secondary play more than anything else.  Im not saying edge isnt a need at all, I'm just saying i dont see it as the #2 need behing qb like most people seem to.  If edge is bpa at 39 then i think they definitely take them but i think they can afford to go bpa at 39 within reason.  Edge, cb, te, and wr could potentially have a really talented player there at 39 the way the draft looks on paper right now.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, Ivory Panther said:

I’m with u on this.
We need more passrush but I think there is quality left in FA to addressed that. 

Horn is the only CB I’m confident abt & he has struggled to stay healthy thus far.

Healthy Djack has good ball skills but Is overrated IMO. I’m not confident in him at all, especially coming back from Achilles. Not sure how we paid him over Gilmore.

ideal scenario, Cam smith slides to 39.

Im all in on defense at 39.  I think there are way more options if Corner, ILB or De/OLB are the targets. I just don't see the flexibility when folks are all in on offense. Tight end and WR this year just aren't deep and talented enough. I'm not sold on Johnston or JSN like everyone else. I do like Zay and Addison but they are 1st rounders not likely to fall to far.  I see the top 4 WR's all going in the 1st. Mims had a nice combine and may sneak into the top of the 2nd but who is the target after the top picks of the half litter are claimed? Tank Dell or Josh Downs?  That's the runts of the litter.  

Tight ends are even more top heavy. You got the high floor ready guy Mayer (who still won't likely hit that level his rookie season) then you got the high ceiling gambles Kincaid and Bama kid. Bad news for us all three of these guys are targets for teams picking in the latter 1st who can afford gambling on a luxury pick. Who does that leave us with?  

Even if seven corners are taken in the 1st we could have targets that can help us year one. Take a break from researching the skill guys and stop sleeping on this corner class.  

• Pie 1

On 4/1/2023 at 4:45 PM, MHS831 said:

The following helped me see the depth of talent at the Panthers top areas of concern (after QB) in rounds 2 and 3.  I include round 1 to predict who might be off the board.  I have included my needs list.  Thought I would share-(lotta cutting and pasting--hope it is legible)

MHS’ prioritized list of Panther Needs entering Draft as of 4/1/23:
1.    Quarterback
2.    Edge Rusher
3.    Cornerback (nickel)
4.    Wide Receiver depth
5.    Inside Linebacker depth
6.    Defensive End (3-4, 3-5t) depth
7.    Offensive Tackle (Swing) depth

FIRST ROUND EDGE RUSHERS

image.png.56c28ab6b3b3d0f999726076bfb968e3.png

FIRST ROUND CORNERS

image.png.7f28c06fb0d57f44cca2a98242f1c5ad.png

FIRST ROUND WIDE RECEIVERS

image.png.c8d7b730b9811c1305d7bf57addbe30d.png

Round 1:  I have 4 QBs potentially being drafted, 5 Edge Rushers, 4 WRs, and 6 CBs (questionable).  That would be 19 of the 31 players selected, so there are players who could fall into the second round.  In my opinion, the following players could possibly fall past pick 31:
•    CBs: Deonte Banks, Kelee Ringo
Would that cause the Panthers to forego an Edge Rusher and grab a CB?  I do not think so.  I expect the Panthers to take an Edge Rusher in round 2.

SECOND ROUND EDGE RUSHERS

image.png.f6fc02d081d0b4b013863b05c8b4e054.png

SECOND ROUND CORNERS

image.png.fda96294fd3a7c91be24459a6d4304ec.png

SECOND ROUND WIDE RECEIVERS

image.png.1295bd2619f5003528c8d96a6007f7d2.png

Round 2: With Five Edge Rushers going in Round 1, expect a lot of trading between nights one and two by teams wanting to move up into round 2 to get that edge rusher because there are literally 12-14 quality edge rushers capable of starting early.  Not all are perfect fits for the Panther's 3-4—the Panthers could harness this momentum and trade back into round 2 and still get a good edge.  There are 7 quality Edge players that are given round 2 ratings.  The CB market is not that impressive, but if Banks and Ringo fall as predicted, it gets better.  Although we need a WR, Hyatt could go round 1 and Downs just does not meet our needs, imo.  However, it seems that there are three-four DE’s perfect for the Panthers that have “Plus Starter” ratings from NFL.com.  They are (in no particular order):
•    Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State
•    Derrick Hall, Auburn
•    BJ Ojulari, LSU
•    Isiah Foskey, Notre Dame
I just do not see how we go WR or CB in round 2 when we need an Edge—the second round is loaded with quality Edge rushers.

ROUND 3 EDGE RUSHERS

image.png.062005488416a47b50700d4228148c5d.png

ROUND 3 CORNERS

image.png.9483351d6d07634691f2991926c9968e.png

ROUND 3 WIDE RECEIVERS

image.png.e46527bac2508adc0411bb1e498b73ce.png

Round 3:  At the end of round 3 might be the best time to get the CB.  We need a nickel CB to keep Horn and Jackson on the outside.  Last year, teams like the Bucs were able to force the defense into situations where the Panthers had to play Henderson or Taylor on the outside vs. the #1 WR.  Not ideal. While I prefer a free agent CB to play the nickel (remember, there will be times when Chinn is in the big nickel, so this player is not a starter—but needs to be better than Hartsfield was. However, there are some decent gems at WR that could be there at the end of round 3.  Some names of interest at each position are:
•    CB: Williams (Syracuse), Turner (Michigan--some have him going much earlier), and Kelly (Stanford)
•    WR: Rice (SMU), Mimms (Oklahoma)

This is why I fukks with you MHS, we like the same type of hardcore threads.....glad you still make them after I gave it up. 

Thanks for the bright information, I reward thee in return with one of my master pieces...

1679850582263897.thumb.jpg.a9b21555ac4fc5971a0b57a00b3b21a8.jpg

• Beer 1
  • The D 1

On 4/3/2023 at 3:29 AM, jayboogieman said:

How big are you talking? If you're wanting 6'7" or about that size, you need to look at the TEs.

AT Perry is 6'4"

Bryce Ford-Wheaton is 6'4"

Keytaon Thompson is 6'5"

Jake Bobo is 6'4"

Michael Jefferson is 6'4"

Justin Shorter is 6'4"

There's at least 4 other prospects at least 6'4". There's also a lot of guys 6'2" or 6'3", which just a a little while ago was considered big.

examining a couple of different big boards, i see two WR above 6’2” in the top 125. usually we see a few big guys in the first couple of rounds. this year they seem to be in the back half of the draft.