• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Three weeks out - temperature check

NAS

Temperature check - who should be the pick?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Panthers draft with #1 Pick?

• Anthony Richardson
    • Bryce Young
    • CJ Stroud
    • Will Levis

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I can say that my needle bounces back and forth between Young and Stroud--I simply think that you do not refuse to draft the best overall talent because you are afraid he might get hurt. Analyzing an injury history is one thing, but predicting the future will get you in trouble.  It will come down to this:  Which is the best fit and which is the most coachable.  I think we are considering variables that will not ultimately determine the outcome.  For example, who won that pickup basketball game between Stroud and McCown?  Why is that not news? 

I think I veered off topic.

I think either guy is acceptable to me personally. I favor Young because I think he might be the best at processing information that we have seen in a while coming out of college.

I am not going to get mega butthurt if we draft Stroud. He is a very good prospect in his own right.

Of course that is a minority opinion since this place has largely devolved into two cages of warring Young and Stroud monkeys, screeching and flinging poo at each other in every thread.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I think either guy is acceptable to me personally. I favor Young because I think he might be the best at processing information that we have seen in a while coming out of college.

I am not going to get mega butthurt if we draft Stroud. He is a very good prospect in his own right.

Of course that is a minority opinion since this place has largely devolved into two cages of warring Young and Stroud monkeys, screeching and flinging poo at each other in every thread.

I can literally say that I think either would be great--and I would understand the decision when made.   I think we can win with either qb--and I do not pretend to know enough about both to have my mind made up.  If we take Young, you bet your arse I am going to make sure my OL is elite and that he processes more quickly in a spread offense that features getting rid of the ball.  I recently posted a stat from his college playing career that said he gets rid of the ball 0.2 seconds faster than the average.  The average QB in the NFL gets rid of the ball about 2.5-2.7 seconds.  (Ironically, Mahommes, Mayfield, Jones, Allen, and Jackson took the longest time to throw--around 3 seconds).

The report basically said that a QB who throws the ball at 2.5 seconds has about a 15% chance of being pressured.  If the QB takes 3 seconds, the likelihood for pressure increases to nearly 40%. (in 2019 according to PFF,  Newton was holding the ball 2.9 seconds and his average time to throw before pressure was at 2.56 seconds--0.3 tenths less than Josh Allen in Buffalo.) If the QB takes 4 seconds and has not thrown the ball, pressure is likely 55% of the time.  On average, the article says that QBs face pressure 35% of the time.

So here is the rub.  Bryce is better throwing under pressure than Stroud.  He is smaller, so there is more incentive to get the ball out more quickly, something he naturally does.  Stroud has a quick release and is accurate, so there is no reason to think that his success throwing from a clean pocket is not related to his decision-making.  So do you risk injury (as some think) with the smaller qb who is better under pressure, or do you go with the bigger QB who is not as effective under pressure? 

• Beer 1

I mentioned it the first time I posted here about the trade...

But the moment I heard about it, real fast, I texted a group chat McCowns breakdown of him prior to him becoming our QB coach.  If he was that excited about him, then that just had to be the pick.

Then I started watching more and more throws, snaps, plays....and CJ just made it all look so easy.  Now that can be system...but you still have to be able to hit the damn throws....and he did, easily.

I didn't think for an instant Young was as small as he was....until I watched him....yikes...just scary scary stuff to me...but whatever, is what it is.  He's special, I'm just not sure he has the type arm to create like he did in college, and certainly doesn't have the size that comes with the hits of being creative.

We have an offensive staff that knows which will work best in their offense, they've made up their minds, and IMO, likely did before moving up.  I prefer Stroud, he seems like he would excel in the type of offense that I enjoy watching...but who knows what Frank wants to do, and I trust him a lot more than some dumb fan who likes to watch football, and the QB position in specific.

• Pie 4

13 minutes ago, Martin said:

Stroud is my guy, best passer I’ve seen in a while. Would be a bit disappointed with Young, but I’ll come around eventually. 

I agree...except for Burrow...he's the only other jumping to mind.

Outside of him, I think you are correct.  He looks to be able to do it all, like I've said, Manning I arm from the looks of it, but certainly not his processing speed....not many will ever have that.  He can drill, float, hit guys in stride and on time....very important in Franks offense, and what made Manning so damn deadly.  He just makes the throws, and the drop backs look sooo smooth.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I can say that my needle bounces back and forth between Young and Stroud--I simply think that you do not refuse to draft the best overall talent because you are afraid he might get hurt. Analyzing an injury history is one thing, but predicting the future will get you in trouble.  It will come down to this:  Which is the best fit and which is the most coachable.  I think we are considering variables that will not ultimately determine the outcome.  For example, who won that pickup basketball game between Stroud and McCown?  Why is that not news? 

I think I veered off topic.

Tuttle actually showed up and schooled both CJ and McCown. It’s why the media won’t cover it…