• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Get ready for Derrick Browns next contract…..

WarPanthers89

34 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

The Saints have that voodoo cap magic. The Panthers don't have that.😄

Seriously though, even if the cap goes up, every player is going to want a bigger slice of the pie. As @WUnderhill pointed out, 24 million used to be QB money. Now, it's DT money while QBs are getting 40-50 million. Chinn will probably be the odd man out, maybe Horn as well if he can't stay healthy.

One other thing to consider is if TMJ makes a leap this season, he'll be in line for a new contract. With WR contracts already going over 100 million for the top guys, the non elite WRs will want a lot more as well and that includes TMJ.

We DO have that cap Magic now. That’s why we have the 2nd largest amount of cap after all of our recent signings. Look at the structures of our recent free agency signings. TMJ is no where near worrying about a 2nd contract yet and WR contracts have taken a big step back this offseason. 

F108D935-C5F6-4339-A86C-7335348C16A8.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89

10 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We DO have that cap Magic now. That’s why we have the 2nd largest amount of cap after all of our recent signings. Look at the structures of our recent free agency signings. TMJ is no where near worrying about a 2nd contract yet and WR contracts have taken a big step back this offseason. 

F108D935-C5F6-4339-A86C-7335348C16A8.jpeg

Until he does it for a decade or so, I won't believe he has that same sort of magic touch. As for the rest, we'll just have to wait and see.

13 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

They are in two totally different tiers as players, this isn’t even meant to be a slight on DB who’s a fine player. But I don’t think he’d get half that on the open market right now 

Yeah I mentioned it was not an apples to apples comparison but still good to talk about what his number may be a season or two from here if he continues to get better as he has already shown. 

10C9270C-F181-40B5-BA89-6242D16B0653.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pantha-kun said:

So much for have 100 mil plus of cap space next year. That's going up in smoke real quick with  a few of these big re signings this off season or next

As long as it's going to very good NFL players, who cares?

You only get in trouble if it's going to Draft busts or over-the-hill Free Agents. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

If he ends up playing some 3-4 end he will probably win a lot against tackles with his strength. Having inside pressure from blitzing ILBs should get him some 1 on 1 plays if he sets out wide. I don’t know if they plan to play him there. 

I generally dislike paying big money for defensive tackles. There is such a high floor on what you can get from rotational guys in special packages. This organization has a long history of bad DT contracts. Sean Gilbert to Kris Jenkins to Kawaan Short who all made their money in their early 20s. Brown is a little different in role so his money shouldn’t get out of control  most likely. Very solid player. Not an all pro type dude, but keeps two blocks on him. No center in football can hold him one on one for a whole game. 

6 hours ago, OldhamA said:

As long as it's going to very good NFL players, who cares?

You only get in trouble if it's going to Draft busts or over-the-hill Free Agents. 

Are we honestly sure 95 qualifies as a “very” good football player? I hardly remember noticing him after TNF game last year

• Poo 1

I'll say this for Brown. As an Auburn fan, dude was a leader and never lazy. He's not the type to get lazy after the money rolls in (which should always be a concern). Plus he got better every year, which is promising given his trajectory so far in the pros. 

Also, will never embarass your organization. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Panthero said:

I'll say this for Brown. As an Auburn fan, dude was a leader and never lazy. He's not the type to get lazy after the money rolls in (which should always be a concern). Plus he got better every year, which is promising given his trajectory so far in the pros. 

Also, will never embarass your organization. 

Definitely stoked to see how Evero uses him

It triggers folks, but this is a big part of why I think Chinn could very well be traded. Bell is a very similar player and like Fitts said, you can't pay everyone. If we can move Chinn to recoup some of those trade assets we had to give up to get to #1 or get help at a more pressing spot I think we'll do it. I don't necessarily like that, but it's the type of thing you sometimes have to do in a hard salary cap league. Burns, Brown, and Horn just play more valuable positions. Part of roster management is assessing your roster for redundancies and using those redundancies in trades to gather assets to address weaknesses. Chinn is going to be a really good player for a long time in the league, I'm just not sure if it's gonna be here.

Lol at people still diminishing Brown’s game. Dude is a force and will be paid accordingly. We have studs at every level on the defense and they’ll have to be paid, but that’s just the business. Gotta fill in the spots around them with guys that are good enough and cheap enough to get the job done as a unit.  

• Pie 1

The reason we have done so many restructures is that any unused cap space rolls over the following year.  We likely aren't using about half of our room this season.  That rolls over the following year, combined with the natural increase in the salary cap give us a huge boost year to year.  If Burns signs an extension the year, and his salary cap figure drops for this season as well, that will help immensely.  The cap is expected to increase over 30 million dollars.  You save that extra 10-15 mill to roll over each year it either cancels out dead money or cancels out the salary of a upper tier player on your team.  Having the rookie QB contract also saves us about 20 million per year.  The new number for a MID QB is 30 million.  I'd rather reach for a rookie than finance the likes of Jimmy G, David Carr, or Ryan Tannehill.

If you run this scenario over the life of a rookie QB contract, once it is time for the rookie to resign, a few of the upper tier stars would have already been paid and are now at the point of diminished returns and will either accept lower contracts or move on past their prime to another team.  Samir knows his stuff..... This ain't Marty-nomoics, this plan will work.

Wolf Of Wall Street Laugh GIF

• Flames 1