• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Klein on the recent Bryce “smoke”

ncfan

Panthers may have some insider info that Texans want Bryce Young so the smoke is about getting them to give up a pick or two to move up to #1.  That is the most likely scenario in all of this.  Why would Panthers care if the fan base will be shocked or not.  I'm pretty sure most will be excited anyway, no matter which of the two we pick.  I still think it'll be CJ Stroud.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 4

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Right now the reports are saying there are people in Carolina's camp that like both.  Say we are 55% Young and 45% Stroud.  Pick 33 may be enough to say yeah Stroud plus pick 33 > Young.  Maybe Houston thinks pick 33 is worth it to make sure they get the QB they want if they have a lot higher grade on Young than Stroud.  

If its 55/45, then I'm probably sticking with my #1.  But if its 51/49 then I'm saying "make me an offer".  Texans may not want to guess who we like best or risk we pick their guy.  If the cost is 33, then they may think the peace of mind is worth it.

A nice wr may be sitting there at 33 that can grow with our new QB, and could help our new "2nd best" QB be even more successful.

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, stan786 said:

You see the first look at Bryce Young in the new Madden?

769CEEC4-308E-40DE-9807-BCC1B23D567C.gif

Maybe Eason has a place on this roster long-term after all. Goalline QB that can give you those Cam-esque sneaks at 6'6".

Also might be why we are bringing in some heavy hitters at G for our top-30 visits. Bozeman is here for the long haul, but maybe want to beef up/improve one of the guard spots.

7 minutes ago, NAS said:

Panthers may have some insider info that Texans want Bryce Young so the smoke is about getting them to give up a pick or two to move up to #1.  That is the most likely scenario in all of this.  Why would Panthers care if the fan base will be shocked or not.  I'm pretty sure most will be excited anyway, no matter which of the two we pick.  I still think it'll be CJ Stroud.

I really think the whole trade up scenario is a pipe dream by some people who would rather have Stroud.

Think this is a pretty good take on things

By this point and this late.  If they called up Houston, Houston is going to Know they probably aren’t taking the guy Houston wants, and that guy will be there at 2 anyways.  And they aren’t trading out of the top 2, so no threat of trading with someone else who will poach that guy.

Houston doesn’t seem to motivated to move up either.

I believe it was Sheena Quick and possibly Joe Person yesterday who said no one has even called to inquire/offer to move to 1.

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Right now the reports are saying there are people in Carolina's camp that like both.  Say we are 55% Young and 45% Stroud.  Pick 33 may be enough to say yeah Stroud plus pick 33 > Young.  Maybe Houston thinks pick 33 is worth it to make sure they get the QB they want if they have a lot higher grade on Young than Stroud.  

Agreed

4 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I really think the whole trade up scenario is a pipe dream by some people who would rather have Stroud.

By this point and this late.  If they called up Houston, Houston is going to Know they probably aren’t taking the guy Houston wants, and that guy will be there at 2 anyways.  And they aren’t trading out of the top 2, so no threat of trading with someone else who will poach that guy.

I believe it was Sheena Quick and possibly Joe Person yesterday who said no one has even called to inquire/offer to move to 1.

Yeah - fair point.  At this point I'm truly fine with either.  I've gotten warmed up to the idea that it might be BY - so perhaps their strategy is actually working!  LOL

39 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Touche, but I'm still calling BS on them being mostly 50/50 up to now. Everything I've seen has been more in line with the Huddle polls.

My point stands: CJ is the least controversial pick of the bunch. Saying that as someone who prefers Bryce. Most negative thing I've heard thrown at CJ is that he was surrounded by talent.

Stroud is an excellent QB and I would be happy to have him a Panther.   He does not walk on water.

His biggest knock is his 41% completion rate and 42 pff when under pressure, ranking 97th out of 144 QBs.   He's been called a statue in the pocket. Young's performance simply does not drop off anywhere near that far when under pressure.    If you think Stroud's pressure rate is going to stay the same as it was behind NFL lineman in the Big10, I would think again.

Read Stroud's other negatives here:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/c.j.-stroud/32005354-5270-2090-cc17-67cd6da43535

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Coleridge-Stroud-QB-OhioState

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/c-j-stroud-nfl-draft-2023-scouting-report-prospect-profile-nfl-combine-results-pro-comparison-more/

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-profile-c-j-stroud-ohio-state

Edited by poundaway
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Just take the better QB at 1 and be done with it.

• Pie 1

If I'm Houston, I would think it would be so easy to find out if it's just smoke. Inquire about a move up and if we indicate a willingness to consider it, it means that we *aren't* set on our guy as BY, which mean he will most likely be there at #2.

So the mere openness to negotiate, if the BY talk is smoke, gives away the charade, rendering any talks pointless - from the Texans' perspective.

I apologize in advance. From this point on every new one of these Mr Magoo says Panthers are drafting XYZ threads will garner the same response.

“Did Frank Reich say it? Did Scott Fitterer say it? Did Thomas Brown say it? Did Josh Mccown say it? Did Jim Caldwell say it? No? Then I don’t believe it.”

• Pie 1