• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young Film Breakdown Megathread

Ricky Spanish

51 minutes ago, Icege said:

Where do folks keep getting the idea that Young's arm strength is suspect? He doesn't have the howitzer that Richardson and Levis have, but he had no problem throwing accurate deep balls after his shoulder sprain to start October.

I've re-watched all of Young's and Stroud's games from the last two seasons and am about to do the same for Levis, and I just don't see reason for the questions that people are raising about Young's arm talent. Seems like just another knock on his size because "he's too small to throw it far."

So my opinion is that his arm is good enough. Strong enough that it won’t be the reason he wouldn’t succeed. 

His throws just lose some steam when he isn’t able to use his body efficiently. There’s no arm flicking the ball 25 yards to the opposite sideline type stuff. Or rather when he does do that, the ball doesn’t have the same zip. 

But that’s physics, and probably related to his size. 

However…he’s still that dude because he’s so able to quickly twitch his feet to create a strong base in a fraction of a second. 

He’s able to do things like roll to his left, square his shoulders and drop dimes, and move his body to create torque-y throws while not needing much space. 

If we draft him, I’m prepared for some gunslinger type interceptions while he’s learning the speed difference in the NFL, and he will learn what throws his arm can make, and when to not make those throws. I think he’s smart enough to adjust to that.

• Pie 6

57 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The nfl defenses are significantly better than college defenses.  In college there maybe 2 nfl prospects on a college team at any one time. The rest hope to make a nfl practice squad.  The nfl has 11 guys that are nfl capable and will have 3 or four stars that are as smart or smarter than these rookies.  You cannot assume that college tape will translate to nfl success.  It rarely if ever does. All of these guys will have to evolve their game or they will end up on the street in 3 years.

Yes you can, that's exactly what evaluating draft prospects and predicting their success in the NFL entails.

"Player A can do x, they should be able to keep doing x at the next level."

"Player B has the skillset to excel at Y in the pros based on his college tape".

Of course there are better players at the NFL level. That has nothing to do with what you said about batted balls and pocket navigation though. Feels like you went in a different direction with your follow up response, but I will reiterate, generally speaking good pocket awareness translates well to the pro game. No it's not guaranteed, nothing ever is, but it is one of those things, like innate accuracy with your throws, that you tend to either have or you don't. 

Young has fantastic feel and pocket navigation. Stroud could clip the wings off a fly. Both are great skills that historically translate well to the NFL regardless of the level of athlete they play against at the next level. 

And I will clarify, height has *little to do with batted balls, not nothing. Of course higher release points make it more difficult to bat balls and is ideal, but the bare bones numbers show that taller QBs get their passes tipped just as much, if not more, than the shorter ones not named Baker Mayfield.

• Pie 3

21 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

So my opinion is that his arm is good enough. Strong enough that it won’t be the reason he wouldn’t succeed. 

His throws just lose some steam when he isn’t able to use his body efficiently. There’s no arm flicking the ball 25 yards to the opposite sideline type stuff. Or rather when he does do that, the ball doesn’t have the same zip. 

But that’s physics, and probably related to his size. 

However…he’s still that dude because he’s so able to quickly twitch his feet to create a strong base in a fraction of a second. 

He’s able to do things like roll to his left, square his shoulders and drop dimes, and move his body to create torque-y throws while not needing much space. 

If we draft him, I’m prepared for some gunslinger type interceptions while he’s learning the speed difference in the NFL, and he will learn what throws his arm can make, and when to not make those throws. I think he’s smart enough to adjust to that.

This is the best way I've seen it described. Ideally he gets a little arm strength bump as he grows and gets better, but i'm sure he's gonna take a little time to adjust.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Yes you can, that's exactly what evaluating draft prospects and predicting their success in the NFL entails.

"Player A can do x, they should be able to keep doing x at the next level."

"Player B has the skillset to excel at Y in the pros based on his college tape".

Of course there are better players at the NFL level. That has nothing to do with what you said about batted balls and pocket navigation though. Feels like you went in a different direction with your follow up response, but I will reiterate, generally speaking good pocket awareness translates well to the pro game. No it's not guaranteed, nothing ever is, but it is one of those things, like innate accuracy with your throws, that you tend to either have or you don't. 

Young has fantastic feel and pocket navigation. Stroud could clip the wings off a fly. Both are great skills that historically translate well to the NFL regardless of the level of athlete they play against at the next level. 

And I will clarify, height has *little to do with batted balls, not nothing. Of course higher release points make it more difficult to bat balls and is ideal, but the bare bones numbers show that taller QBs get their passes tipped just as much, if not more, than the shorter ones not named Baker Mayfield.

Calm down. He's the best of this class coming out. He has limitations to overcome just like the rest of the class. I will worry about anyone they select until they show they will be they guy here. Get use to it.

• Pie 2

19 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Sorry, lost track in all the mayhem.  Thanks for the concern but I can assure you that I am not stressing over any of this.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Calm down. He's the best of this class coming out. He has limitations to overcome just like the rest of the class. I will worry about anyone they select until they show they will be they guy here. Get use to it.

Weird. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 1

I have been a bit of a Young hater, but with all the talk about him probably being the pick, I’ve been challenging myself to warm up to him.

I think at this point I have adequately warmed up to Young being the pick and can get behind it. I’ve been concerned about arm strength and durability, but I will trust the team to make the best choice and hope Young’s pocket awareness and elusiveness results in him avoiding potential injury. 

As a franchise, we’ve drafted well in the first round, so I hope that continues to be true with this pick. 

• Flames 2

Will I wholeheartedly support Young if we draft him?  Absolutely.  Do I think he will be a bust in the NFL?  Absolutely.  Unless he proves it to me otherwise.  The fact no player in NFL history succeeded with his intangibles is concerning and merits doubt.

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

What's weird about that?  All of the qb's that get draft will have to show they belong.  Until they do I will not be drinking any of the hype kool-aid. 

This is true, i just also choose to point out the fact that Bryce is the one thats gonna have to do something thats never been done and if he cant.... nobody with a brain is gonna be surprised because the warning signs were already there.

• Pie 2