• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 5 - The Carolina Panthers Select Jammie Robinson - S - Florida State

rodeo

Another excellent pick, will likely play NB for us (which is fantastic bc it frees up Jaycee to play outside CB). Was a leader on FSU's defense, Zierlen has him as a top 100 player, Brugler has him with a 3-4 round grade and Jaycee called him a dog on twitter. 

You can take a bunch of long shots on UDFA but I think we got two real ball players today. 

• Pie 7

3 minutes ago, shaq said:

Really passed on Antonio Johnson?? Incomparable players, I like Robinson but man you can’t pass on Johnson for this guy.

They probably liked his skillset more to compliment and maybe round out the rest of the roster. Antonio is closer to a box safety whereas Jammie is more a FS or nickel

4 minutes ago, shaq said:

Really passed on Antonio Johnson?? Incomparable players, I like Robinson but man you can’t pass on Johnson for this guy.

I kinda agree.  Robinson plays like a LB but is small and not the fastest either.  Classic tweener so it puzzles me too.  As a football player Jammie is very good though

• Pie 1

Good pick. We needed more depth and competition at nickle CB.

I'll be honest. Like most of you, I don't know enough about anyone we drafted outside of Bryce Young to feel too strongly one way or the other.

Pretty happy with the way the roster is shaping up post FA and the draft.

Still hope we sign another EDGE and potentially an ILB for depth, but for the most part I think we're ready to roll.

None of us really know how these picks will work out, but we supposedly have the all star coaching staff. Now it's their turn to work their magic and get this team ready to win

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, panther252 said:

They probably liked his skillset more to compliment and maybe round out the rest of the roster. Antonio is closer to a box safety whereas Jammie is more a FS or nickel

Antonio Johnson spent a lot of time playing nickel in his college career. He’s a more natural FS, could hold up at nickel but would be a natural pro transition to FS. Robinson is a more natural nickel for sure, I just don’t think he has the speed at 4.6 to ever be anything above average. Could get absolutely torched by these new age slot WRS.

11 minutes ago, CAPantherFan said:

panthersb_logo.gif  Carolina Panthers: Jammie Robinson, S, Florida State - B Grade  
Jammie Robinson is great in run support, but can be lost in coverage. The Panthers have struggled to stop the run in recent years, so this pick makes sense

A safety that stuffs the run but isn't good in coverage? Why does that sound so familiar? Oh yeah, these guys 107353935_original.jpg?1293142270  

623991006.jpg.jpg preferred them.

• Pie 2

Panthers selected Florida State S Jammie Robinson with the No. 145 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. 

Robinson (5’11/191) spent his first two seasons at South Carolina where he logged the majority of his reps in the slot to take advantage of his tenacity around the line of scrimmage and short-area mirroring ability. He thrived in the role, playing 670 recording 62 tackles and five PBU, and a scintillating 90.7 PFF tackling grade en route to receiving freshman All-SEC accolades. However, after HC Will Muschamp was replaced by current HC Shane Beamer, Robinson opted to transfer to Florida State for a fresh start. It was a prescient decision, with Robinson recording a gaudy 183 tackles, 12.0 TFL, 13 PBU, and five interceptions over his two seasons with the Noles, earning First-Team All-ACC recognition in each. His role changed last season, with the Second Team All-American logging 76% of his snaps at either free safety or in the box as opposed to his previously slot-heavy role. The move allowed Robinson to showcase his toughness near the line and notable ability to sift through traffic and bring down ball carriers, as his 7.3 career missed tackle rate backs up. He's pretty small for box work in the NFL and will likely put his 6.89 3-Cone (85th percentile) and 1.51 10-yard split (98th percentile) to use by harassing slot receivers as a versatile nickel back who can also drop back to single-high when called upon.