• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer breaks down the final decision

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

There was a joke that Nicole was involved in the coaching hire to keep her husband from falling for more Rhule-like BS. 

I guess that joke wasn’t far off.

“Nicole’s a very good judge of character, and that’s why she’s involved in this,” Fitterer says. “She sees it from a different viewpoint and she’s got a really strong b.s. meter. So it was great. … We may fall in love with the guys as players and kind of turn our head, kind of dismiss certain things. She’s got that intelligence to dial in.”

And on Young?

“She loved him,” Fitterer continues.

Her husband, of course, would contribute, too, and in an interesting way—it wasn’t so much about what he thought as what he knew. And what he knew was that his team would have its best shot at getting the decision right with as thorough a process as possible.

So as sure as most of the crew might’ve been after Young’s pro day, there was still work left to be done.

“[Tepper] is all about process,” Fitterer says. “He’s not about the evaluating. He’s not going to sit there and say, Hey, listen, I think this guy’s got a great arm. That’s not his world, and Dave’s smart enough to realize that. He doesn’t want to influence it that way. He just wants to make sure that we’re looking at it from every viewpoint and challenging ourselves, and that we have the data behind our decisions—that we’re not just looking at it from a scouting standpoint, that we have all the back-checks that we can use that are out there.

“Are we doing enough? Are we testing these guys enough? Do we know enough about their psychological makeup and competitiveness? He just keeps asking questions. And he’s not challenging us. He’s just making us think. Are we thinking about this properly?”

God I would kill to get her off the record comments on Rhule.

9 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Could see why Corral would be a little miffed at this:

“So we thought the rookie way was the right way to go, to draft and develop, and fix the problem rather than taking swings here and there. … Eventually, you just have to draft and develop your own guy.”

Corral is in position to still collect generational wealth. He just has to compete, blow Dalton out of the water, make them feel comfortable halfway thru the season in cutting Dalton. Bryce is not going to play 100% of  the snaps this season. I hope he does but that was not the case last year. Show the 31 other teams why they should give up a 3rd round pick to have him on their roster. That's what he can control. Hell even if he is a backup QB for the next 10 to 15 years, he should ask McCown how that worked out for him.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

“So we thought the rookie way was the right way to go, to draft and develop, and fix the problem rather than taking swings here and there. … Eventually, you just have to draft and develop your own guy.”

He's not Reich's guy. Reich could give a fug about Corral.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, ThPantherFan said:

Excellent article.

Albert Breer is a great Twitter follow.

From what I've read, a lot of the information he gets during the process of things like this, he doesn't leak until the stories done. That's why NFL people feel like they can trust him.

He's had pretty extensive behind the scenes stories on just about all of the major Panthers transactions over the last several years.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, PanthersATL said:

I feel for Corral, but life, as they say, isn't fair. He went from being the "future guy" to having no chance to show he *could be* the future guy, to being an afterthought altogether. When life hits, sometimes it hits hard, and you've just got to roll with it. But the setting sun is always followed by another rise. If he's got the fortitude to hang in there, his story in the NFL isn't yet written in full. I'll pull for him, if for no other reason than the tough circumstances he's been dealt. And I'd also like it if he is able to secure an ongoing roster spot with the Panthers.

Edited by run-run-pass-punt
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, Coheed said:

If she’s the bullshit/ego detector, gotta wonder what she thought of Rhule back in 2020 lol. If you’re with someone long enough, you’re each gonna have some “i told you so” moments and my god would it be hilarious if Rhule was one of those for Nicole and Dave.

Nicole: “hey Dave, remember when you forked out a historical 7 year contract for a used car salesman “culture builder” that I told you was full of poo?

*Tepper touches his brass balls to self soothe* 

This is exactly what I thought. She probably saw through Rhule early which led her to be regarded as the b.s. detector

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From the article:

Fitterer sauntered into Reich’s office and matter-of-factly spit it out.

All right, man, the GM said jokingly, who are we taking?

Both smiled. Reich started laughing.

Yeah, it’s Bryce, Reich responded.

Could be the conversation that gets them both fired.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 2

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

“Sam actually played well this past year. But you have two swings at it, you have high hopes for both Sam and Baker when they got here and, at a certain point, I remember talking to Mr. Tepper and [assistant GM] Dan [Morgan] and we’re like, We gotta just draft and build our own. Even if Baker hit or Sam hit, it was going to be a lot of money to renew these guys, and how do you build a team properly unless it’s like a top-five quarterback?

So he thought it was a better idea to trade away 5 premium players?

Good god.

6 hours ago, poundaway said:

Shortly after 8 p.m. ET Thursday, Roger Goodell announced the start of the draft as Fitterer, Reich, the Teppers and all the Panthers coaches and scouts watched on TV. The league had asked that they wait at least five minutes.

I was wondering why we waited.

Like you, I was wondering and somewhat worried about the surprised wait.

I was somewhat anxious after being excited that the Panthers would select Bryce Young and could not help  hoping they had not changed their minds and come up with some off the wall, trade back deal.

If you really put your pride to the side, I think everyone knew Bryce Young was the reason we traded up. His tape is what sold me over the other QB's. 

This football, some players are small but they still dominate the competition. Bryce Young is one of those players.