• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitt on the draft and off-season…

WOW!!

11 hours ago, Coheed said:

Cool interview. Some notes

- Gives a little more detail on the visit with Mingo. Him and Morgan were just overall really impressed with how he generally carried himself and the presence he maintained in the conversation. Apparently Mingo likes to fish and ride horses. Maybe Luke and him can go fishing sometime, lol.

- Liked DJ Johnsons motor off the edge

- Likes the receiver room right now and sounds really impressed with Marshall in OTAs, said something about coaches coming in to him and being surprised at how good Marshall was (presumably OTAs is the first time any of the new staff has gotten on the field with them). Also mentions Shenault as "really coming on". 

- When the fact we didn't draft a TE's brought up, he brought up Tremble and how young he is, and how young he was coming out. Sounds like we might be planning to keep developing Tremble behind Hurst.

-Likes the UDFA class as a whole and thinks 5-6 might push for a roster spot. Talked a little bit about Eku Leota specifically

It's a damn shame the amount of talent wasted by Rhule and his dumbass staff.  TMJ should've been playing all along when healthy.  We saw the same thing with Laviska too.  Even Foreman.  Laviska, pound for pound, may be my favorite player on the roster, tbh...  dude is just a fuging force and he honestly should be given as many touches as possible because he just makes plays.

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

All sounds great, I'll believe the TMJ and Tremble when I see it though, sounds like typical spring coach/gm speak, they're never going to sit there and say "our players suck and we need better ones" and they're always going to talk up those guys that people know are in make or break seasons.

I fully expect the TMJ talk to continue all summer long too and through camp, that happens every year with that type of player, anyone remember David Gettis?  According to the staff and reporters, guy was a spring through summer monster who disappeared come Week 1.

I too have a comparison or two--with the 2 greatest WRs in franchise history.  But first, take a look at the train wreck we call the 2022 season:

TMJ had 490 yards on 42 targets in 14 games in 2022, catching 60% of the targets.  It is interesting to note that his catch to target percentage improved after Wilks took over and Darnold changed his approach.  In TMJ's last 5 games, he caught 10 passes on 13 targets for 162 yards, for a catch percentage of 77%--and that is outstanding.

Mushin Muhammad caught 51% of his targets his rookie season for 407 yards.  The following season, his second season--just like TMJ---he was targeted 62 times--15 more targets that TMJ--and he caught 27 passes--1 fewer than TMJ.  His catch ratio was 43.5% and he accumulated 317 yards for the season--173 yards fewer than TMJ in 2022.  TMJ played 14 games in year 2 with multiple QBs, Moose played 13 his second season. FWIW, TMJ caught 60% of his targets during year 2, about 16% more than Moose did during his sophomore season.  If you want to measure the worth of a WR, consider the percentage of catches vs. targets first. Did you think Moose was a bum after 2 seasons? 

By the way, in year 3, Moose had nearly 1000 yards receiving (941 yards) and caught 65% of his targets. 

• Year 4?  1253 yards.
  • Year 5?  1183 yards.

Oh, and Steve Smith in his second season?  He had double the targets (98 to 47) and caught 55% of them for 872 yards. While being targeted 41 more times than TMJ, Smith produced 382 more yards. Smith's rookie season produced a catch rate of 50% of targets for 154 yards.  He is a hall of famer. 

I suppose comparing TMJ to Gettis is fair to you--a WR  who suffered a torn ACL and never seemed to recover, but considering the turnover at QB and Rhule rule, TMJ has not done less than is reasonably expected if you consider all variables.   Compared to Mushin Muhammad, he is actually ahead of schedule.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I too have a comparison or two--with the 2 greatest WRs in franchise history.  But first, take a look at the train wreck we call the 2022 season:

TMJ had 490 yards on 42 targets in 14 games in 2022, catching 60% of the targets.  It is interesting to note that his catch to target percentage improved after Wilks took over and Darnold changed his approach.  In TMJ's last 5 games, he caught 10 passes on 13 targets for 162 yards, for a catch percentage of 77%--and that is outstanding.

Mushin Muhammad caught 51% of his targets his rookie season for 407 yards.  The following season, his second season--just like TMJ---he was targeted 62 times--15 more targets that TMJ--and he caught 27 passes--1 fewer than TMJ.  His catch ratio was 43.5% and he accumulated 317 yards for the season--173 yards fewer than TMJ in 2022.  TMJ played 14 games in year 2 with multiple QBs, Moose played 13 his second season. FWIW, TMJ caught 60% of his targets during year 2, about 16% more than Moose did during his sophomore season.  If you want to measure the worth of a WR, consider the percentage of catches vs. targets first. Did you think Moose was a bum after 2 seasons? 

By the way, in year 3, Moose had nearly 1000 yards receiving (941 yards) and caught 65% of his targets. 

• Year 4?  1253 yards.
  • Year 5?  1183 yards.

Oh, and Steve Smith in his second season?  He had double the targets (98 to 47) and caught 55% of them for 872 yards. While being targeted 41 more times than TMJ, Smith produced 382 more yards. Smith's rookie season produced a catch rate of 50% of targets for 154 yards.  He is a hall of famer. 

I suppose comparing TMJ to Gettis is fair to you--a WR  who suffered a torn ACL and never seemed to recover, but considering the turnover at QB and Rhule rule, TMJ has not done less than is reasonably expected if you consider all variables.   Compared to Mushin Muhammad, he is actually ahead of schedule.

Im old. I remember fans thinking Moose was a bust until they didn't.  

• Beer 3

3 minutes ago, csx said:

Im old. I remember fans thinking Moose was a bust until they didn't.  

Watching Moose develop in my early teens was a big influence on me being as patient as I currently am with rookies and first-year players.

It's why I've held out for YGM despite not having much faith in him (his lack of explosiveness off the line is just too much for me to ignore). If DJ Johnson has the same issue with not having an explosive get-off, then maybe Yetur can find a way to function in Evero's defense. Big year for YGM + CJ Henderson in regards to getting positive tape out there for other teams to look at if the Panthers opt to go in other directions.

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, Seltzer said:

I think the only way Shi makes this team is by another guy getting injured.  

The minute we signed Damiere Byrd again the writing was on the wall.  Byrd is a better receiver and returner.

I think Shi is PS bound, and I doubt he gets poached by another team.

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

• Year 4?  1253 yards.
  • Year 5?  1183 yards.

I think you mis-interpreted my response

I wasn't saying I thought he was a bust, just that I wasn't going to get excited about a player having a breakout year because of what a GM said about them in a post-draft interview.

In the history of the NFL, I don't think a GM has ever said anything other than about how impressed they were with a player's development at this time of the year, it's pretty standard to hear what he said and so I'm not using that to get my hopes up.

18 hours ago, Coheed said:

- When the fact we didn't draft a TE's brought up, he brought up Tremble and how young he is, and how young he was coming out. Sounds like we might be planning to keep developing Tremble behind Hurst.

-Likes the UDFA class as a whole and thinks 5-6 might push for a roster spot. Talked a little bit about Eku Leota specifically

Yeah it sounds like the new coaches liked Tremble so far.

On UDFA, he said 2-3 make a push, but this year its like 5-6.  He said we had to fight to the the UDFA OLman.

7 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

It's a damn shame the amount of talent wasted by Rhule and his dumbass staff.  TMJ should've been playing all along when healthy.  We saw the same thing with Laviska too.  Even Foreman.  Laviska, pound for pound, may be my favorite player on the roster, tbh...  dude is just a fuging force and he honestly should be given as many touches as possible because he just makes plays.

TMJ played a lot when not hurt. Even his rookie year he was the WR3. He played almost half the snaps and we played two TEs the other half. His production made it seem like he was never out there but he was. Last year he was WR2. Everyone said the same thing about BC who after week 4 or 5, played 60% of all snaps. He was behind Robby and once Robby was traded, Marshall was only behind DJ. Marshall played 77% of offensive snaps in the 14 games he played last year. Chosen played 78% of offensive snaps in 2020 and had 1100 yards. Marshall wasn’t close to as productive as Chosen was in 2020 playing the same snap count rate. Marshall was slightly better than 2021 Chosen (prorated yards were 10-15% more and TDs were way less).

Rhule sucked but lack of playing time had nothing to do with Marshall’s lack of production. Again, I’d be more than happen to see Marshall as a stud because I want Young to succeed but the “breakout” is a bit exaggerated. 490 yards and 1 TD while playing almost 80% of the snaps in 14 games isn’t amazing. Sure, if he was buried and barely played, but he wasn’t, he was our WR2.

• Beer 1