• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

App State QB Armanti Edwards on Michigan upset, ‘dark times’ with Panthers

ladypanther

I remember wondering that first year why he wasn’t given an opportunity at QB. It was obviously a lost (tank) year, and the trash cans we were trotting out at QB weren’t just bad, they provided zero excitement. At least AE was athletic. If I’m remembering correctly, we brought Brian St Pierre in off the street and had him start after like a week of practice. You telling me AE couldn’t have done that? Come on now.

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, jasonluckydog said:

AE was paid $2.2 million to ride the bench for 4 seasons. Not a bad deal. I'm sure he only got half after taxes and fees. Still better than most. 

People don't realize most of this failed big name players are set even after football.

If your house is paid for you have to be pretty stupid to go broke even after football.

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

People don't realize most of this failed big name players are set even after football.

If your house is paid for you have to be pretty stupid to go broke even after football.

You have to remember a lot of these players are taking care of their entire families, 1 or 2 million plus cost of living in a major city (Not NC)...its not a lot of money  

2 hours ago, scpanther22 said:

You have to remember a lot of these players are taking care of their entire families, 1 or 2 million plus cost of living in a major city (Not NC)...its not a lot of money  

I would assume they are smart enough to buy their home.

As long as you can a nice roof over your head you shouldn't be down bad after football.

On 7/12/2023 at 2:53 PM, stratocatter said:

I lost most of any respect I had for Fox in 2010. He earned that too. JR was too cheap to fire him, Fox just sat and collected the checks with no shits given about the team or fans. 

Fox was bitter.  I heard him in Spartanburg make a negative comment about AEdwards to another coach (right in front of a group of people watching the practice) after watching him drop a punt from the jugs machine.  He said something like, "At least we got a punt returner out of the draft"  (sarcastically).  He was not really engaging with the players--just watching and shaking his head. 

16 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Do your homework (This surprised me):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighsteinberg/2015/02/09/5-reasons-why-80-of-retired-nfl-players-go-broke/?sh=27ce623778cc

On 7/12/2023 at 9:44 AM, Sgt Schultz said:

2010 was a complete waste.  Fox was a dead man walking, everybody and their brothers knew that, so nothing happened to develop anybody.  Whatever chance Matt Moore had to become a viable starter was pretty much torpedoed by Fox's malpractice that year......and the malpractice was just as much Richardson's fault as his.

Edwards was drafted in the middle of that fiasco.  That was aggravated by the fact he was over-drafted.  That was the most irritating part of it.  Teams draft a "home town" guy pretty often, but usually late in the draft. 

I say we over-drafted him because, regardless of what anybody thinks of Edwards potential as a WR, we drafted LaFell earlier in the third round.  And let's face it: over-drafting was a Hurney trademark.  Trading up to take a guy who is a QB with the idea they would turn him into a WR and gadget QB is not exactly a great value or risk.

So, Edwards walked into a perfect storm and still almost survived it, anyway.  Before I pass judgement on how his release was handled, I'd want to hear someone else around the team when it happened speak up.  The danger is jumping on the bandwagon based on the recollection of the guy who was released is about the same as jumping on the bandwagon based on The Process' account of his dismissal.  Even though I don't feel like I need a shower after reading what Edwards says, his view is biased.  He may be right, but I can't conclude that based solely on his account.

What more evidence do you need that Gettleman was a complete asshole?  Steve Smith?  DWill?  KB?  Anyone else?  
This organization was a mess at that time and Gettleman was the worst of them all in killing the team. 

Sounds a lot like AE was told how it was but wanted it sugar coated, not the other way around like he said.

He was drafted to sell tickets. So was Will Grier (taken over Crosby). Several other examples too. Hurney absolutely loved the local heroes and JR saw $ per usual.

Sometimes I wonder where y’all work at…these family atmospheres that pay you nicely no matter the job you do, always giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I’ve never had that in my life and I’ve come to appreciate the more genuine comments and people because of it, even if it lacked tack. No one is void of struggle from loss in this world.

Sounds to me like AE simply wasn't good enough.

Edited by onmyown

51 minutes ago, 33inNC said:

What more evidence do you need that Gettleman was a complete asshole?  Steve Smith?  DWill?  KB?  Anyone else?  
This organization was a mess at that time and Gettleman was the worst of them all in killing the team. 

Nobody is denying Gettleman was the north end of a southbound horse.  That's not the question. 

The issue here is whether Edwards' version is the truth, or skewed.  Both Gettleman being an arse and Edwards' version being skewed can be true at the same time.

This is not an either/or situation.  Not many things are.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1