• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LB Justin Houston signs

ChuckWag78

3 hours ago, RJK said:

They must really dislike what they’re seeing at OLB opposite burns and Haynes back must be a concern 

He played a rotational role in Baltimore last year, only started 1 game but played in 14 and had 9.5 sacks.

He will probably be used in run packages. He is the heaviest edge we have by far. 6’3 and 270. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I was anticipating this. Not Houston specifically, but someone at OLB/DE

I don't think people have been paying attention to the trend of seasoned vets with stuff left in the tank essentially waiting for Training Camp to conclude/almost be over before they sign. Happens every year now, vets hate TC.

• Pie 1

Just now, Ricky Spanish said:

I was anticipating this. Not Houston specifically, but someone at OLB/DE

I don't think people have been paying attention to the trend of seasoned vets with stuff left in the tank essentially waiting for Training Camp to conclude/almost be over before they sign. Happens every year now, vets hate TC.

That was my main thought they could have had this agreement in place for two weeks at 34 he doesn’t need training camp just a couple weeks to ramp up his conditioning. This will give him about 4 weeks of practicing to get ready makes very good sense for both parties involved. He definitely doesn’t need that Spartanburg heat to prepare for the season just a couple weeks with the playbook and he should be good to go.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

He played a rotational role in Baltimore last year, only started 1 game but played in 14 and had 9.5 sacks.

He will probably be used in run packages. He is the heaviest edge we have by far. 6’3 and 270. 

Sure. It’s a nice signing. They clearly aren’t comfortable with the depth at LB with these recent signings of Houston and jones 

3 hours ago, RJK said:

They must really dislike what they’re seeing at OLB opposite burns and Haynes back must be a concern 

There is value at having a proven pass rush. Asking a bunch of role players to suddenly step up, and to DEPEND on. Them to provide a consistent rush opposite of Burns, so Burns can have a bigger impact, is really a lot to ask for. 

These young guys are still going to get plenty of opportunities,  as you have to rotate your dlinemen to keep them fresh, so they can still.impact the game in the 4th quarter when the game is on the line. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Oh my gosh 😮...only if you could get by on not having to pay top players in the league big money it would be so much easier to build championship teams am i right? Too bad it doesn't work like that..

As a general comment, paying big money for players who may not be worth it/at that level isn't a good strategy either.

• Pie 2

This is an outstanding signing, basically the equivalent of Thielen on offense.

Thielen will be a rotational guy who can't play every snap at this age but will be an effective vet when on the field.  Plus, Thielen is a pro's pro and part of his job is to take the young WRs under his wing and teach them how to do things.

Houston has 111.5 career sacks and according to the ESPN article on him, has earned the nickname "Yoda" and "Sensei" due to him staying after practice to work on pash rushing moves with young players.

He's here to give us situational pass rush (which he had 9.5 sacks doing last year) and to help mentor all our other pass rushers.  Can't wait to see how much he's going to help Burns take his game to a whole new level.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 5
  • Flames 2