• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A plan for the OL in 2023-2024

MHS831

This is for discussion if there is an interest--there are literally several dozen ways this could go, but I think we are suddenly loaded at OL--so we have to build the roster with the long game in mind.  I hope to hear some alternative perspectives.  Here is what I would do--(as of August 9)

1.  Early in the season, we are not going to have Corbett.  Zavala has had a hamstring injury so he is unlikely to be ready for week 1, and he is a 24 year old rookie--so it will take time.  I Fully expect him to challenge Christensen for the LG position.  Cade Mays will play RG until Corbett returns, but when he does, Mays should fall into a reserve role behind Corbett and (with some work) Bozeman. 

2.  Christensen has the athleticism to play OT, and his play at LG was mediocre in 2022.  With Zavala being groomed for LG (my theory--lotta talk about him playing beside Ikwonu), it is my opinion that they would like to move BC to OT as the swing OT when Zavala and Corbett are ready.  This would give BC a year to work primarily as a RT to prepare for the starting role.  In 2024 and 2025, Moton's cap number is just under $30m, so he would be good trade bait.  Christensen could then move to RT, saving the team a lot of cap space.  He will be 28 at the time and in the last year of a contract with a cap hit of $1.6 m for 2024. 

3.  DiRenzo and Jensen have been pleasant surprises, so by the end of the 2023 season, it is possible that DiRenzo could get looks as the primary backup R OT for 2024 and beyond.  Jensen could make McCray expendable and move into a reserve G role, behind Corbett, Zavala, and Mays.

While I expect Jensen and DiRenzo to possible begin the season on the PS, I think they will be added to roster when the dominoes (as described above) start falling. 

By the end of the 2023 season, i expect the OL depth chart to look very much like this:

LT: Ekwonu, Christensen

LG: Zavala, Jensen

C : Bozeman, Mays

RG: Corbett, (Mays)

RT: Moton, DiRenzo

2023 Offseason:  Trade Moton for a high draft pick (second?) and save $28.4 m in cap room.

2024 season:

LT: Ekwonu, (rookie or free agent)

LG: Zavala, Jensen

C : Bozeman, Mays

RG: Corbett, (Mays)

RT: Christensen, DiRenzo

This gives us youth and depth--and makes the OL very cap friendly for 2024.  The key is BC, obviously--but I do not think he is the right position and we seem to have 6 guards right now with a legit shot at making the roster aside from BC (Corbett, Zavala, Mays, McCray, Jensen, and DiRenzo)

My point?  The OL will have to heal and develop this season, and I do not see Moton at age 30 being worth $30m to us--I think BC should be ready (very athletic) and I think I would roll the dice by moving Moton in a trade and saving cap space. Thoughts?

(Sorry for the length--I say that a lot)..

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Love the post and info you put out there. They definitely have some options with Mays and BC being so versatile. Jensen could be a nice surprise for depth going forward as well. I’m just not 100% sure BC would be great as a long term RT. I always think of bigger power blockers when I think of RTs but then again the game is definitely changing. 

I wouldn't trade Moton either but I share the sentiment it's never too early to be thinking about next year for the oline. Considering the failure of the group played a crucial role in years of squandered talent over the better part of a decade culminating in a Super Bowl loss I'd say we should know a thing or two about it. Also if you don't like the thread there is the option of entering other threads and engaging in those conversations instead.

7df2f065e044d6f93149fceaedc23c5695642413d158b054eacaddb89f81b55d(1).jpg.e0a4939e5dc0584680d0bf9ad008095a.jpg

• Pie 1

I think our tackles are set with Ekwonu & Moton for the next two years minimum. 

Take a shot in the 2024 draft (3rd rd or so) on a raw but projectable RT who can learn under Moton. 

While I agree it’s never too early to think about it, I see no need to make a move this coming off-season with any of our starters. Let Bryce learn how to win with the steady line we have locked up through 2024. This opinion will obviously change if their play regresses this season, but we’re in good shape on the OL. Continue to build through the draft and let the young guys learn under our vets and great OL coach. 

• Pie 1

That 2024 OL scares me a bit outside of Iky. Corbett and Bozeman are decent average starters. If we have bookend tackles they are fine, but I don’t think BC is Moton level and LG is likely still a bit of a hole. If Mays turns into a Norwell, maybe but that OL doesn’t come close to screaming top 10 OL.