• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who impressed and who sucked - preseason game 1

TheSpecialJuan

I thought the OL played horrible football but the rest of the team was ok.  Corral was terrible but that is to be expected atp.

Spencer Brown played decent

L Shenault has all this talent but is like totally lost most of the time.  He doesn’t focus on the game near enough 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 2

For the love of God! We have 3 weeks to turn a Jv team into an NFL team! Would have appreciated if when Reich is saying Bryce is the best QB I've ever seen, he would have prefacite with but the rest of his team sukks! If so I may not be building another sweet in the Bellagio! Mind you I'll never be able to stay just help pay.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

All the skill players were out there with Young.  Miles was the only one held out and we knew that a couple days ago.  Bryce had everyone. 

Jets vanilla D also happened to be one that had no respect for the deep ball.   Which makes dink and dunk harder 

I don’t remember Thielen at all. Responding to this I just remembered Chark was out there the first drive but I don’t think after that.  He was working with the backups after the first drive I think

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Does anyone think Luvu has star potential?

He’s already there. I’m personally not accepting anything less. The stats have backed it, the energy backs it. When last years Rhule led team constantly looked lethargic , he made a play, he brought the motor, he brought the energy. He’s an absolute menace at the LOS. Tracks so well. Coverage is a work in progress but I may not like a player more than Frankie.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3
  • Poo 1

Impressed by Young’s poise. Night and day compared to Corral under similar circumstances. Corral went from overambitious to overly hesitant to zeroing in on check downs and firsts reads and/or bailing on the pocket early. Classic indica of the game being too fast. 

The sample sizes obviously are disproportionate but Young took a few shots and didn’t seem impacted in the least. The offense was handed vanilla plays without the option for motion and adjustment. Jets rush was especially aggressive, hard knocks and a prior game under their belt and all. On those 3rd downs where defense was pinning back: 

1) First drive: Throw for a first down against the sideline is slightly sailed to chark. Smitty points out Chark probably should have taken a half step rather than one and a half timing wise. If the timing is on point here we’re raving about this play.

2nd or 3rd drive?) Don’t recall which one but again we set up a third a 5 or so because of the blandest of shotgun runs on second down. Pass again down the sideline, this time to Shenault. Smitty remarks that (despite contact that maybe warrants PI), Shenault needs to get flatter (drop towards the sideline) rather than deeper (going upfield) in that down and distance. Had he done so, this again is an easily executed play. 

This is practice/coaching stuff. Luckily, unlike the prior regime, I have no concerns about this one failing for lack of knowledge and effort. The key is seeing improvement next week on the individual battle level at least which those two throws I highlighted essentially are. 

Edited by Jacabee
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

8 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I don’t remember Thielen at all. Responding to this I just remembered Chark was out there the first drive but I don’t think after that.  He was working with the backups after the first drive I think

Drive 1 - D.J. Chark Jr., Adam Thielen, Jonathan Mingo
Drive 2 - Adam Thielen, Terrace Marshall Jr., Laviska Shenault Jr.
Drive 3 - Jonathan Mingo, Terrace Marshall Jr., Shi Smith

https://x.com/pff_natejahnke/status/1690474696951607296?s=46&t=f55N0zsNFevD-XGJBWj1-A

I mean Young was given all the guys.  It’s what we had been praising.  Tons of great options with no go to guy.  People shouldn’t no where the ball is going.

I think the biggest issue is there is some basic game planning.  For example, the Jets were out there playing with no respect for the deep ball.   Which is going to muck up small ball, 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, App Panther said:

You have to be feeling good if you're a Bears fan today. 

I was suggesting trade for Fields this offseason. His talent is not the question. It was always about them putting a roster around him. Even with a bad roster last year he showed flashes that he can be special.

Bears will win the NFC North imo.