• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I seriously can't with you guys and your preseason hot takes right now

Ricky Spanish

4 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

This is a public service announcement for you all:

Chill the fug out chicken littles.

They aren't playing these games to win. They aren't even calling plays to necessarily score or get first downs. They are calling plays to see certain players in certain situations.

Players will always play to win because that is how they are wired. Coaches don't coach to win in the preseason.  They spend 20-30 hours making a list of things they want to bring out in a player/play.

They will call plays with the purpose of getting a heatmap of offensive linemen's footwork in order to correlate number of vertical steps with sacks, hurries, or tips.

They will call plays to track a specific WR's release/separation against certain defensive looks.

They will call run plays to the Left against a stacked box that have no chance of success just so they can see how the RG moves laterally and compare it to another guard who played a different set of downs.

They will call plays that put the safety at the line of scrimmage in order to track how much ground he can cover in x seconds if the WR in the slot on the opposite side of the line runs a go route.

The preseason, in general, is for data collection purposes.

The only game that has any relevant correlation to regular season success used to be week 3 of the preseason where the starters would play the entire first half and run a half game plan with vanilla looks across the board. I don't know which game is considered the "preseason week 3" game anymore because there are only 3 preseason games now, because it's the preseason and it doesn't matter.

There is absolutely zero reason to get as aggro as many of you are about the preseason.

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

Chill out.

My god.

Chill.

If we are at week 8 and still look like Matt Rhule's team, then by all means, panic but I'm not sweating any of this poo in the slightest because we all have WAY more important stuff to worry about in our lives than preseason football.

Great post but you are wasting your time. The collective football IQ of most of the posters on here could fit in a thimble.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I need you all to understand, that even if we were blowing everyone out 31-6 each game, I would feel the exact same way about this topic, because it's the preseason and it doesn't matter.

I wasn’t able to catch the game last night. All I want to know is did we see player improvement? Gonna try and catch a recording tomorrow. There was a lot of mistakes Vs. the Jets with guys out of position, missing their assignment(in less than vanilla scheme), etc, especially on “first string” defense. If we improved on mistakes like that I’m happy for now. 

Edited by Harbingers

Just now, Harbingers said:

I wasn’t able to catch the game last night. All I want to know is did we see player improvement gonna try and catch a “replay” tomorrow. There was a lot of mistakes Vs. the Jets with guys out of position, missing their assignment(in less than vanilla offense), etc, especially on “first string” defense. If we improved on mistakes like that I’m happy for now. 

First string D didn’t have Brown, Burns or Houston.  Giants  walked down the field on them with ease. 

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

First string D didn’t have Brown, Burns or Houston.  Giants  walked down the field on them with ease. 

We’re other players still blowing assignments and still as horribly out of position as the jet games? I’ll have to give it a watch tomorrow when I can. 

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

We’re other players still blowing assignments and still as horribly out of position as the jet games? I’ll have to give it a watch tomorrow when I can. 

We didn't have a great showing on defense but it wasn't as bad as folks are making it seem. It was a better showing than the Jets game.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Great thread. Thank you for itemizing why preseason is a tool but not necessarily a measure for success going forward. 

If you want to talk about individual players struggling with specific assignments, let’s do that. Let’s talk about how RG was consistently beat the first game or how Ickey straight missed an assignment against TBX in the second. Things looked a bit better in the second game. Let’s talk about how whether Mingo should have driven more on that third down potential conversion from Bryce. 

Preaseason is extended practice. It’s putting players in position to be evaluated and evaluating accordingly. What a coach wants to see from evaluation purposes versus what it may take to “win” or even “look good” are drastically different things. 

If you’re going to put on the rest of the fan base your projection that the entire new regime is doomed from the start, you can at least bear the responsibility of producing the receipts. The only thing worth talking about this early is specific players and plays, not prognoses. 

Edited by Jacabee
  • Pie 8

On 8/19/2023 at 7:09 PM, Ricky Spanish said:

I need you all to understand, that even if we were blowing everyone out 31-6 each game, I would feel the exact same way about this topic, because it's the preseason and it doesn't matter.

You're right, it doesn't matter, but if players look out of shape and slow, then it is a indicator of bad things to come. I can care less about the score of a preseason game, but when the offensive and defensive lines get beat really bad on simple execution plays, then something is wrong, no?

5 hours ago, amcoolio said:

You're right, it doesn't matter, but if players look out of shape and slow, then it is an indicator of bad things to come. I can care less about the score of a preseason game, but when the offensive and defensive lines get beat really bad on simple execution plays, then something is wrong, no?

Not saying it is the case, but players in a brand new system a lot of time think instead of react, which slows them down. Once they know it by heart they can just react.

• Pie 2

On 8/19/2023 at 4:17 PM, Smithers said:

Just curious, did Reich change his philosophy as a coach?  Because in his first year as HC in Indy, he went 3-1 and turned his starters loose in the preseason.  He then went on to a damn good season.  He said in his week 1 presser that he always approaches preseason the way he is this time around.  So he’s either lying, or our team Is just that bad 

I would assume the number of former HC dudes now on staff combined with being fired from the last sting combined with having a rookie QB / first overall guy for the first time has changed the philosophy some.

In my mind---you can do a direct comparison. The Giants threw to their best player like 4 times on their first scoring drive. It made me cringe on their behalf for a team I literally hate. That 1 is exactly what they're going to be doing in the regular season and 2 had Bell hurt Waller on that hit literally their targets would have gone from 1 to 0 and their season would effectively be over. They lucked out--but if we were going to Hurst or anyone like that just so we could prove to ourselves we could score I would be way more concerned in the moment and after than I am right now.

Edited by backINblack28