• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will YGM have a Hardy breakout year

TheBigKat

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Charles Johnson was a very good player early on.  I remember him being one of the most efficient pass rushers in the league as early as 2008.  He just didn't get a chance to start until 2010.  IIRC 2009 is when he got stanky legged which kind of derailed his season.

Hardy wasn't as good as fast but he still flashed a lot of talent, which we knew he had at Ole Miss.  Him putting up 10+ sacks in his 3rd year wasn't much of a surprise.

I want YGM to do well but he hasn't looked nearly as good as Johnson or Hardy did early on.  

Johnson got leg whipped against the Pats on Monday night in 2013.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

Hardy for all intent purposes wasn’t showing much when our look at his stats then boom he puts it together and explodes

Hardy 6’5 265lbs

YGM 6’5 265lbs

Although Hardy flashed in year 3, I’m willing to give YGM pass under the Rhule Reign

With the right scheme, having Tuttle eat up blockers, I think YGM is primed for a ‘out of nowhere’ kind of year

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

You are misremembering. Hardy consistently flashed as a rookie and 2nd yr player in ways that YGM never has. Hell, so did Kony Early for that matter.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Charles Johnson did not break out until year 4.  First 3 years--10 sacks.  Next five years--52.5 sacks

Mike Rucker was silent until year 3. First 2 years--5.5 sacks.  Next three years--31 sacks.

CJ wasn't a starter until his 4th season and Rucker his 3rd, with them getting 9.5 and 11.5 sacks respectively in those seasons and showing strong potential seasons prior. YGM started all last year and did nothing. 

Would be awesome if it happened, but at this point it seems unlikely.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Don't know who these numerous analysts are, outside Huddle analysts, that is.

Here's a little from a guy whose opinion kind of matters...

Gross-Matos has never played in anything but a 4-3 DE role (even in college).

Kaye speculated further after Reich's answer.

46 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

To be honest, I’d rather have had YGM add 25 lbs. and try him at DT. He’s at least decent against the run so with the added weight he might be able to hack it as a DT in a 3-4. The problem is if it doesn’t work out then it might end his career cause he’d ultimately get cut by the Panthers and he’d need to lose all that weight to get back to the typical size of an EDGE.

Not sure if he can add that much weight but DT is likely not a fit but if he could put on the weight a 3-4 DE could be possible. Then again he might just not be good. He’s not a small end which is why he’s decent against the run on the outside but he just doesn’t have the pass rush ability.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's a little from a guy whose opinion kind of matters...

Gross-Matos has never played in anything but a 4-3 DE role (even in college).

Kaye speculated further after Reich's answer.

You do know that I can quote an article about not only how EE, but also Tem Lukaba have said that YGM has made marked progress since when OTAs began?

Either way, there's hardly any analysts talking about YGM (if any) because frankly it's not that important to them. 

We'll have to wait and see what the coaches decide, much more than that is just speculation and more akin to fan desires than anything else. 

Also, I'd add that saying YGM has an adjustment to make back in April is hardly some great analytical statement upon whether he can, much less whether he'll be good or bad at it.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You do know that I can quote an article about not only how EE, but also Tem Lukaba have said that YGM has made marked progress since when OTAs began?

Either way, there's hardly any analysts talking about YGM (if any) because frankly it's not that important to them. 

We'll have to wait and see what the coaches decide, much more than that is just speculation and more akin to fan desires than anything else. 

Also, I'd add that saying YGM has an adjustment to make back in April is hardly some great analytical statement upon whether he can, much less whether he'll be good or bad at it.

You can quote from an article where coaches coaching a current player are trying to be encouraging about his ability to accomplish something?

Yeah sure, that's convincing 😕

You might also include a quote about all the progress Matt Corral is making just for good measure.

Edited by Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

Hardy for all intent purposes wasn’t showing much when our look at his stats then boom he puts it together and explodes

Hardy 6’5 265lbs

YGM 6’5 265lbs

Although Hardy flashed in year 3, I’m willing to give YGM pass under the Rhule Reign

With the right scheme, having Tuttle eat up blockers, I think YGM is primed for a ‘out of nowhere’ kind of year

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0525.jpeg

IMG_0526.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

1691678470721657.jpg.a4b82cf9da25119297d9c061cdb12822.jpg

• Pie 1

I think the huddle's a little rough on YGM. He's not getting sacks, but he gets pressures. He had 19 last year which if I'm reading correctly is ranked 53rd. Not great but nothing to scoff at.

However expecting him to break out is a tall ask I feel. 

14 minutes ago, Smithers said:

YGM is only 25.  I’m not giving up hope that he will live up to his potential.  Hard to believe Haynes is 29.  

He certainly still has a chance to have a nice (or at least decent) career.

I just wouldn't bet on that happening here, especially not with the system change.

Edited by Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Marquis Haynes has a much better chance at having a breakout season than YGM. He’s forgotten because he didn’t play in the preseason and people have also forgotten that he had 5 sacks last year. His speed should be an asset in our 3-4 defense.

This!! .... Haynes quietly put together a 5 sack season last season in a rotation. He's also the record holder for the most sacks in Ole Miss history iirc(Hardy's old school) ...if I were a betting man, that's where my money would be for breakout. Similar to Mario Addison. 

I actually think YGM is fighting for a roster spot at this point.

• Pie 1