• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much confidence in Chuba or Blackshear?

Jmac

1 hour ago, CRA said:

It’s not just about YPC and being a rusher.  It’s a passing league.  More duties to the backfield than just running.  I’m specifically not talking about rushing.  

I got no beef with Sanders or Hubbard as rushers.  And if you wanted to run a Steve Wilks O with a weak QB I would have no issue. 

but we aren’t expected to be an old Panther O.  The pass catching RB was a big part of Young’s Heisman run and college success too.   We got no one proven in that role on the roster.  Just seems silly not to given the investment in Young.  

Sixth best yards per route run. That's efficiency.

I am all for signing Fournette, think he'd be a good thunder to Sanders' lightning.

Especially since we better not be doing any QB sneaks with Bryce at his size, and we don't really have that big bruising back for those times we need less than a yard to convert.

Edited by tukafan21

1 hour ago, CRA said:

He didn’t play under Reich in Philly

There is a reason why Sanders role diminished post rookie season. It’s documented.  It was Sanders play and reliability in that role post rookie season

Everyone loves PFF until they say one of our guys was horrific at something and then it’s a junk website.   And he was horrible per them in 2 of his last 3 years in that role.  And you can go find old Eagles articles that support that. 

Not sure why Miles can’t just be a strong rusher.   That’s what he has proven to be in the NFL.  Questionable elsewhere in the role.   Hopefully he improves.  That’s the gamble we made going into this season…..but we have paired Bryce Young with backfield that doesn’t feature anyone proven in the pass game. 

Sorry, I meant when he played under Duce Staley.  Reich even said when signing him that he wanted to get back to using him as a receiver like Duce did in Philly.  

I think Hubbard is going to be fine.  I think it is in our best interest to see what he does when we actually game plan and use him properly.  

Catching the ball out of the backfield is something a player can improve on. 

We'll have to wait and see.  Determining he's not what we need before we ever take a real snap just doesn't make sense.

Ypc is deceptive for a backup. Felix Jones had 7 or 8 ypc as a backup, they got rid of Marion Barber or whoever it was ahead of him and then Jones was pedestrian as a starter. Chuba has poor balance, blocking, vision and hands. He can break off a good run if the dominoes fall right. Maybe he can improve but I have more confidence in Blackshear tbh. 

9 hours ago, Smithers said:

Sorry, I meant when he played under Duce Staley.  Reich even said when signing him that he wanted to get back to using him as a receiver like Duce did in Philly.  

My point is merely Sanders unreliability post rookie year in a pass catching role is why he saw his opportunities diminish.  There was a reason for it.   It wasn’t just lack of opportunity.     

Sanders and Duce were paired up his sophomore season too.   1 season as a reliable all around back and 1 season not being that with Duce. 

That’s not bashing Sanders.  He just hasn’t been a reliable and proven good player in that specific area the last several seasons.  No one on this roster has proven to be.  Just seems like a needless risk going into a year with rookie Bryce.  Focus being Bryce.  

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think Hubbard is going to be fine.  I think it is in our best interest to see what he does when we actually game plan and use him properly.  

Catching the ball out of the backfield is something a player can improve on. 

We'll have to wait and see.  Determining he's not what we need before we ever take a real snap just doesn't make sense.

How many seasons do we need do need to see that he is not great out of the backfield....he never has been.

Edited by Jmac

There is a lot of disdain for Hubbard.  He has the albatross of being "Rhule's wife's draftpick" and I think that is in the back of our mind's when evaluating.  He is not great but is quite serviceable and what he does.  From an eyeball test, he probably needs to improve in many areas but he is a solid runner.  If the coaches can do better with other team's castoffs then fine.

• Pie 1