• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns out of practice, Frank Reich not saying if absence is contract-related

WarPanthers89

Brian Burns is so underrated by some posters on this forum.  And you know, I get it.  He isn't as good as a Nick Bosa, but not many are.  However, Burns' productivity and efficiency as a pass rusher at his age is still very damn good.  And given his frame and play-style, I am confident that we haven't seen him at his best yet.  

My comp for him coming out of school was Jason Taylor.  Taylor got better and better as he built into his frame and won DPOY in his 10th year.  I'm not saying Burns is going to win DPOY, my point is that I would bet on him becoming one of the few pass rushers who every year you pencil them in for 10+ sacks.  Taylor didn't have his first consecutive 10+ sack season until he was 29 years old.

Like I said, I get it.  I'm guilty of not being patient with guys either.  But to want to trade Brian Burns or not pay him would be an incredibly short-sighted move.  Burns, barring injury, probably has at least 8 more years left of playing this game at a high level and we're on the cusp of a big jump if you look at the careers of a lot of pass rushers, who didn't start stringing multiple 10+ sack seasons until Years 4-6.  I don't get why people think it would be wise to move on from that kind of potential, especially at one of the most important positions.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 3

I don't know about others, but I don't want Burns leaving at this point. I wanted us to take the Rams deal, but the moment we rejected their final offer I was on board with keeping Burns. We're locked in now, and Burn's agent knows how highly Fitt values Burns because, if for no other reason, then because we rejected the Rams mega deal, and because of Fitt's statements to the media about Burns being our cornerstone player on defense. No need to use past stats alone to estimate his market value because we already know he's viewed as the key to our defense.

I would imagine Burns and his agent feel that they can write their own ticket so to speak. His agent is just waiting for the market price to be set, or for the Panthers to make their own bank busting deal ahead of time. Burns can put his feet up and relax and smoke a stogie at this point. His ship has finally come in. This isn't how I want the team to be run, where we lock in on a player who doesn't really dazzle me, and then pay him elite money while his agent has the edge in negotiations. As a fan who doesn't really care that much about the individual players, this doesn't make me happy. It gives me the same feeling I had when Marty Hurney signed Charles Johnson to a huge deal. The players are not the same of course, but I have the same bad feeling. Is Burns going to become this dominant pass rusher who changes the outcomes of some of our close games? The last game I watched him play he honestly looked worse than our backups, but of course you can't judge him by one game. I'm just saying I'm wary of the upcoming deal, but I do want to keep Burns at this point.

2 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

What would you do here today if you were GM? Say no deal and no new contract and let him walk eventually or pay a premium in a new contract? Im guessing you wont say pay a premium due to you believing he will be mediocre so what would be your plan moving forward today?

Let him walk. He will never be worth what he thinks he is worth. Which is elite money. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

There will always be a huge disconnect between actual market value for players, and the fans. Perceived value of said player. 

Scarcity is a real thing and whether you like it or not there is a premium on pass rushers.  

He will get a large sum and people will complain but it’s just the nature of the business.  Good for BB.  

• Beer 1

The salary cap is expected to increase by $30M next season and then over $25M in 2025. Burns can literally get $30M next season and the team would still have the $16M they're paying him currently to go out and sign more talent with. We had folks thinking they could go sign a pass rusher and extra players with that $16M if Burns was traded, but now there's suddenly no money?

The team is currently sitting on $18M in extra cap space this season with a projected remaining cap of $55.5M for next season. Even if the team shells out another $8M this season for whatever reason there's still gonna be an extra $10M to rollover to add to that $55.5M.

TJ Watt got $28M/yr when the salary cap was $208M. I dont understand why anyone would be concerned/worried about paying Burns $2M more than that when the salary cap is expected to be $256M. He would not be getting the same percentage of the team's salary cap as Watt did.

Edited by Icege
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, pantherj said:

I don't know about others, but I don't want Burns leaving at this point. I wanted us to take the Rams deal, but the moment we rejected their final offer I was on board with keeping Burns. We're locked in now, and Burn's agent knows how highly Fitt values Burns because, if for no other reason, then because we rejected the Rams mega deal, and because of Fitt's statements to the media about Burns being our cornerstone player on defense. No need to use past stats alone to estimate his market value because we already know he's viewed as the key to our defense.

I would imagine Burns and his agent feel that they can write their own ticket so to speak. His agent is just waiting for the market price to be set, or for the Panthers to make their own bank busting deal ahead of time. Burns can put his feet up and relax and smoke a stogie at this point. His ship has finally come in. This isn't how I want the team to be run, where we lock in on a player who doesn't really dazzle me, and then pay him elite money while his agent has the edge in negotiations. As a fan who doesn't really care that much about the individual players, this doesn't make me happy. It gives me the same feeling I had when Marty Hurney signed Charles Johnson to a huge deal. The players are not the same of course, but I have the same bad feeling. Is Burns going to become this dominant pass rusher who changes the outcomes of some of our close games? The last game I watched him play he honestly looked worse than our backups, but of course you can't judge him by one game. I'm just saying I'm wary of the upcoming deal, but I do want to keep Burns at this point.

You keep sweetening this deal everyday, gonna be 6 first rounders soon. It was 2 and they started 2 years out, Picks drop a round in value every year. It was 2 firsts so essentially your 12 firsts was a second and a third!

9 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Not sure how that's possible when Burns is already better than Shaq has ever been

Shaq played in the shadow of TD and Kuechly and I think because he was “mentored” by them he got a pass for being an average/above average player. Burns is the superior talent but he’s mostly a one trick pony but it’s one of the most necessary tricks a defense needs. The Panthers made the decision to keep him when they turned down the Rams package of picks so they just gotta pay him now or look like epic dumbasses.