• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers and Brian Burns not at all close to extension

TheSpecialJuan

On 9/3/2023 at 10:44 AM, Toomers said:

The last 20+M/yr deal to an edge was Max Crosby an 23.75M/yr. Crosby is every bit as good a pass rusher and instead of being a liability on 40% of his snaps, he one of the best run defenders in the NFL. So how is Burns close to that value. The Steelers just gave Alex Highsmith 17M/year. After 14.5 sacks and a better run defender than Burns. So again, what is this magical value he holds at any price? 

You make some valid points but the fact they turned down what they did from the Rams tells you that they view him as more than a $17m a year player.

Is it weird that hearing this today makes me a tad more interested in our WRs (particularly Thielen) in my fantasy draft in a few hours?

If he holds out, that hurts the defense, we give up more points and end up needing to pass the ball more than planned/expected.  

Plus I absolutely LOVE Theilen in a PPR if it's a deep league like mine (12 teams, 2 flex, 7 bench) as he's going to get 4 for 40 minimum each game as Bryce's check down guy, can't ask for more from your injury and bye week filler guy from the bench.

Edited by tukafan21

19 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

You make some valid points but the fact they turned down what they did from the Rams tells you that they view him as more than a $17m a year player.

The problem was it told Burns they viewed him as TJ Watt. Which he is not even close. His price went up about 7-8M/ year the minute they turned that deal down. 

• Poo 1

There's no way he actually sits out of a game right? That would be crazy?

If he actually sits out the falcons game the entire season is basically tanked, we absolutely HAVE to win divisional games to stay relevant this year.

All the money I've spent on another year of season tickets thrown away again. 

If he doesn't play and we're 0-1 I'm making a trade Brian Burns sign for MNF. Don't care if all you get is a 7th at that point, I don't want a guy willing to tank the whole teams season. 

18 minutes ago, Toomers said:

The problem was it told Burns they viewed him as TJ Watt. Which he is not even close. His price went up about 7-8M/ year the minute they turned that deal down. 

He's wanting Aaron Donald money. 5 years 150m with 80m guaranteed at signing with full guarantees hitting close to max value. 

F.R. says he doesn't know if Burns will sit out the opening game or not. If he doesn't know, that sounds like it may be a strong possibility until contract is signed. This may drag on into the season. Zero pass rush is a hurdle no team can win with.

Edited by Jmac