• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good showing from Zavala in first NFL Game

Memphis

If he’s playing well enough to stay as a starter when Corbett is back, I’d prefer to keep him at RG and put Corbett on the left.

It would be tough for a rookie who missed much of camp to make that switch mid season if playing well.  Plus with some of Ickey’s struggles in preseason, rather put the vet than the rookie next to him.

Then move Zavala to the left next year with a full offseason to get settled.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

If he’s playing well enough to stay as a starter when Corbett is back, I’d prefer to keep him at RG and put Corbett on the left.

It would be tough for a rookie who missed much of camp to make that switch mid season if playing well.  Plus with some of Ickey’s struggles in preseason, rather put the vet than the rookie next to him.

yeah switching these young oL from the right to the left after a year in the NFL seems to be a formula for success time & time again

so yeah with that said I agree too...

Watching in person was tougher to tell but I also thought Ickey looked way better than he did in the preseason, more like he looked last year. OL was mostly very solid, the issue was playcalling, wideouts not getting open, rookie QB and becoming predictable playing from behind (and with bad field position for various reasons *refs*)

He's looking much better than expected. Looks like has the potential to win the starting LG job from Christensen eventually, but not yet. BC clearly looked like the better player on Sunday, but Zavala did really well for a guy that was thinking instead of playing at times. Lots to like about the potential for the future!

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Watching in person was tougher to tell but I also thought Ickey looked way better than he did in the preseason, more like he looked last year. OL was mostly very solid, the issue was playcalling, wideouts not getting open, rookie QB and becoming predictable playing from behind (and with bad field position for various reasons *refs*)

Icky played well...IMO, but the entire line did for the most part.

Very happy for ZV to shine, dude didn't even get an invite to the Combine IIRC.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

I think Corbett has played RG almost his entire career. I’d switch the rookie. I don’t get switching him after this year. If the plan is LG of the future just put him there and deal with it. We aren’t winning squadoosh this year with our offensive weapons so just pull the bandaid off. Also, LG is supposedly the easiest OL spot to learn.

• Pie 1

Came across this twitter/x post recently. The o-line as a whole was impressive, but what was really remarkable was Zavala performing above expectation, seemingly solid against a decent group with the Falcons.

Even had a few 1v1 reps against Jarrett.

For a 4th round rookie, seeing this performance is encouraging. Of course not fully perfect and he had some slip ups, but still very well hitting above his draft value early on.

This post encapsulates the great potential he has as a future solid starter.

A lot to be excited for there. Hoping to see him continue to build and become better.

Edited by Saca312
  • Pie 5

15 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Definitely makes sense, but Corbet has always played RG and LG is Zavala's natural position.  It might be easier to keep Corbet where he excelled and let Zavala slide to LG when he is comfortable until then BC can hold it down.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

Came across this twitter/x post recently. The o-line as a whole was impressive, but what was really remarkable was Zavala performing above expectation, seemingly solid against a decent group with the Falcons.

Even had a few 1v1 reps against Jarrett.

For a 4th round rookie, seeing this performance is encouraging. Of course not fully perfect and he had some slip ups, but still very well hitting above his draft value early on.

This post encapsulates the great potential he has as a future solid starter.

A lot to be excited for there. Hoping to see him continue to build and become better.

He seems great at controlling where the rusher puts their hands up to try and deflect.