• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who would you rank as top 5 Panther draft busts of all time?

TheBigKat

Jaycee Horn is an elite talent, and proves it whenever he's healthy enough to play. He's absolutely proved that he belongs in the NFL. He didn't have a significant injury history in college, and he's been preparing like a pro for years thanks to his father. I don't know how anyone can call him a bust. He's had a disappointing pro career so far, but no one is more disappointed than him, I'm sure. 

These guys are human beings. Elite athletes, who are typically carefully managed, but still human beings, who have access to the Internet. It's got to be infuriating when you're doing everything in your power to get on the field with your teammates, and see a bunch of guys, most of whom sweat through their shirts walking up one flight of stairs, call you a bum and a bust. 

• Pie 2

20 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

i really dont think injury effected players should be indentified as "busts." To me busts would be players that never live up to their potential. No one can predict or control injuries... so ridiculing a player who experiences the unfortunate events of injury is just pathetic.

Bc we damn well know we could even last a single hit in the NFL....

Agreed on this with one caveat. If the player had injury problems when the team drafted him, or if the player had work ethic or weight concerns which caused them not to work their way back from injury (see: Benjamin, Kelvin).

2 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Agreed on this with one caveat. If the player had injury problems when the team drafted him, or if the player had work ethic or weight concerns which caused them not to work their way back from injury (see: Benjamin, Kelvin).

Was Kelvin a bust though? He was dominant the 2 years he was able to play with us. The writing was on the wall when he and Cam started to have a fallout and we shipped him out to the Bills. He lived up to his draft pedigree... he just didnt keep it going to get his second contract.

21 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

1) Carruth- 1st round pick for a murder

2) Collins- no explanation necessary, devastated a young franchise

3) Jaycee Horn- on pace to have played 17/51 games, if he doesn’t regain form then that is a costly top 10 draft bust which is compounded when you see who was drafted after him

4) Everette Brown- 2nd round pick that cost us 1st round capital

5) Dewayne Jarrett- second round pick that was an immense bust

You know, for a man whom has such a very high opinion of yourself, you sure struggle. 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

8 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Jaycee Horn is an elite talent, and proves it whenever he's healthy enough to play. He's absolutely proved that he belongs in the NFL. He didn't have a significant injury history in college, and he's been preparing like a pro for years thanks to his father. I don't know how anyone can call him a bust. He's had a disappointing pro career so far, but no one is more disappointed than him, I'm sure. 

These guys are human beings. Elite athletes, who are typically carefully managed, but still human beings, who have access to the Internet. It's got to be infuriating when you're doing everything in your power to get on the field with your teammates, and see a bunch of guys, most of whom sweat through their shirts walking up one flight of stairs, call you a bum and a bust. 

These athletes make big money to put up with/ or ignore fan comments, it is the cost of doing business in the spotlight. 

If the comments on the Huddle break Horns heart, just add that to list of breaks.

JC Horn was the 8th player taken off the board and the first defensive player that year.  He had a NON CONTACT foot injury that took him out his rookie year, and another NON CONTACT injury this year to sideline him for an unknown substantial amount of time. Add that to the injury last year.

We invested heavily in him, and the roi hasn't been there because he hasn't been there.  If any of us took a new job and then were unable to work 50% of the time, we'd be looking for work.

Some people use the term bust to describe players who don't produce to their projection, including injury derailments.   Others insist that the term bust must refer  only to players who are on the field, but don't perform. 

In any case, its a busted 1st round pick to date, and there doesn't appear to be much hope for that to turn around.

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

oh yea, fug Ohio, we do not like each other as states, let alone the Michigan-OSU rivalry.  Ohio is a POS state, everything about it is just garbage.

It's well known by Michiganders that if you have to drive through Ohio, you need to know to watch your speed.  The hatred runs so deep that cops will pull you over in Ohio if you have Michigan plates and are going just a few MPH above the limit.

gas prices are cheaper in Ohio. that’s about it.

30 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Was Kelvin a bust though? He was dominant the 2 years he was able to play with us. The writing was on the wall when he and Cam started to have a fallout and we shipped him out to the Bills. He lived up to his draft pedigree... he just didnt keep it going to get his second contract.

I’d consider him a bust due to the reason he couldn’t keep it up was his mental and work ethic issues, not his injury. Also, he quit on the route that caused the interception that led to the start of Cam’s shoulder issues. In that sense, he may be the biggest bust in Panthers history since he not only didn’t live up to his draft position, but he had a direct hand in ruining our best QB ever.

32 minutes ago, poundaway said:

These athletes make big money to put up with/ or ignore fan comments, it is the cost of doing business in the spotlight. 

If the comments on the Huddle break Horns heart, just add that to list of breaks.

JC Horn was the 8th player taken off the board and the first defensive player that year.  He had a NON CONTACT foot injury that took him out his rookie year, and another NON CONTACT injury this year to sideline him for an unknown substantial amount of time. Add that to the injury last year.

We invested heavily in him, and the roi hasn't been there because he hasn't been there.  If any of us took a new job and then were unable to work 50% of the time, we'd be looking for work.

Some people use the term bust to describe players who don't produce to their projection, including injury derailments.   Others insist that the term bust must refer  only to players who are on the field, but don't perform. 

In any case, its a busted 1st round pick to date, and there doesn't appear to be much hope for that to turn around.

LOL, you're exactly the type I'm talking about. They make big money for their athletic ability, not for their ability to take abuse from internet losers. Make sure to bring an extra shirt if you have to take the stairs today!

I don't really agree with the notion that injuries can't cause a player to be a bust.  It's unfortunate when it happens, but I would say a player is a bust when they fail to live up to their draft position.  That's clearly subjective, but if a player is injured often and their career ends after a couple of seasons, its hard to argue that was a good use of a high draft choice.

Is it impossible to predict?  Of course.  But that's how it goes with the NFL Draft for the most part anyways.

Jeff Otah was an absolute mauler when he was healthy, but his career was so short I'd personally put him in the bust camp.  Now, would I categorize him as the biggest bust ever, or something to that effect?  Certainly not.  Is it his fault, or the teams fault?  Not at all.  But I would not say that selection really worked out the way the team had hoped when they made it.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Panther'sBigD said:

LOL, you're exactly the type I'm talking about. They make big money for their athletic ability, not for their ability to take abuse from internet losers. Make sure to bring an extra shirt if you have to take the stairs today!

LOL

Its the cost of doing business buddy. 

Sorry that it irks you so.  I'm sure Horn has thicker skin.

Horn is top 10, but not top 5 IMO. This board loves pretending that because he plays 10 snaps a season and looks good in those snaps then he's not a bust.

1. Carruth (dont see this changing anytime soon)

2. Everrett Brown (2 first rounders for 6 sacks lol)

3. Jimmy Clausen (led us to Cam but just awful)

4. Kelvin Benjamin (stat padder his rookie year, sucked ass, ruined Cams career)

5. YGM (just fuging rancid ass player)

6. Rashard Anderson

7. Biakabatuka (oldie but a "goodie")

8 Otah

9 Horn (both of them had injury issues, never could stay on the field. yes injury issues make you a bust)

10. ERic Shelton