• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What has Scott Fitterer done right?

hepcat

4 hours ago, pantherj said:

There are three things that happened that killed this franchise. These are the critical mistakes that we have still yet to recover from:

1.) Marty wanted Herbert, and I thought he was going to make a move to go get him. We stayed put and missed out on Herbert. Franchise changing mistake.

2.) We brought in Teddy Bridgewater when we should not have done so. Teddy was good enough to get us enough wins to ruin our draft position, but he would never lead us anywhere. This is what I call a "QB Limbo" move where you can't replace your current QB with a star QB, or potential star QB, because he's wining too many games, but he's not the answer.

3.) Fitt signs Sam Darnold, who I said several times on this forum at the time, was a proven failure at QB. I said at the time that he would flop, and he did just that. Signing Sam stripped us of valuable draft picks, but it also allowed QB limbo to continue because we had CMC and too much talent by that point to allow Sam to drag us to the rock bottom of the league and top of the draft.

The scary thing about Fitt is that he believed that Sam was better than Teddy, and that Sam was a franchise QB in the making. I sure as hell didn't think that at the time, and I was hard pressed to find a fan who thought that. Shouldn't the GM know better than the fan base? No. Fitt was guessing. His guess was incorrect, and that mistake ushered in the dark times. Teddy was fun to watch. Sam took your soul and made you turn the tv off.

It really came down to those three critical mistakes. Has Fitt screwed up left and right in other areas? Oh hell yes, but those mistakes are not why we've had to suffer through these dark and boring times. Now everything, including Fitt's career, is riding on Young. Buckle up.

Marty not moving up to get Herbert haunts my dreams.

7 hours ago, pantherj said:

There are three things that happened that killed this franchise. These are the critical mistakes that we have still yet to recover from:

1.) Marty wanted Herbert, and I thought he was going to make a move to go get him. We stayed put and missed out on Herbert. Franchise changing mistake.

2.) We brought in Teddy Bridgewater when we should not have done so. Teddy was good enough to get us enough wins to ruin our draft position, but he would never lead us anywhere. This is what I call a "QB Limbo" move where you can't replace your current QB with a star QB, or potential star QB, because he's wining too many games, but he's not the answer.

3.) Fitt signs Sam Darnold, who I said several times on this forum at the time, was a proven failure at QB. I said at the time that he would flop, and he did just that. Signing Sam stripped us of valuable draft picks, but it also allowed QB limbo to continue because we had CMC and too much talent by that point to allow Sam to drag us to the rock bottom of the league and top of the draft.

The scary thing about Fitt is that he believed that Sam was better than Teddy, and that Sam was a franchise QB in the making. I sure as hell didn't think that at the time, and I was hard pressed to find a fan who thought that. Shouldn't the GM know better than the fan base? No. Fitt was guessing. His guess was incorrect, and that mistake ushered in the dark times. Teddy was fun to watch. Sam took your soul and made you turn the tv off.

It really came down to those three critical mistakes. Has Fitt screwed up left and right in other areas? Oh hell yes, but those mistakes are not why we've had to suffer through these dark and boring times. Now everything, including Fitt's career, is riding on Young. Buckle up.

#3: Not gonna blame Fitt for that. It is well documented that Rhule was the one who really wanted Darnold and thought he could fix him. 
Did we pay too much for him? Maybe. But at the time it seemed Like an okay deal. 

6 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

This years draft produced a starting quarterback and in all likelihood a starting lineman. Please give this group more than one game before throwing them under the bus. 

I mean, I acknowledged you can’t really grade his draft picks.  

so all you have is his free agents and trades.  Which is all I am doing here.  To date, he just doesn’t have much positive when it’s compared to the negative on that front. 

*Then that gets weird.  Because you have folks that say Robbie Anderson was 100% Matt Rhule and then want to credit Luvu to Fitt.  

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I acknowledged you can’t really grade his draft picks.  

so all you have is his free agents and trades.  Which is all I am doing here.  To date, he just doesn’t have much positive when it’s compared to the negative on that front. 

*Then that gets weird.  Because you have folks that say Robbie Anderson was 100% Matt Rhule and then want to credit Luvu to Fitt.  

Anderson was here a year before Fitt was, that’s why.

• Pie 1

I’m still undecided on Herbert. 

I’ve heard Rhule use Herbert going one pick before theirs as an excuse before even though Detroit was begging someone to trade up 

Herbert’s numbers always look pretty Damn good but they’re not winning. He had a chance at the end of the 4th yesterday to score a TD but had to settle for a FG. Then in OT he quick snapped his own team and had to punt the ball away. 

22 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Anderson was here a year before Fitt was, that’s why.

So Fitt was responsible and gets credit for bringing in Baylor/Temple guys in his first year?  That’s not on Rhule? 

I mean, yeah Anderson came In under Hurney.  Fitt gave him the stupid contract and is presently one of our biggest cap hits.    So I got a tad confused. 

overall point still pretty much remains. Fitt getting a Luvu carve out with some just because he worked out and still putting the rest on Rhule. 

22 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I’m still undecided on Herbert. 

I’ve heard Rhule use Herbert going one pick before theirs as an excuse before even though Detroit was begging someone to trade up 

Herbert’s numbers always look pretty Damn good but they’re not winning. He had a chance at the end of the 4th yesterday to score a TD but had to settle for a FG. Then in OT he quick snapped his own team and had to punt the ball away. 

It's what the Chargers have done for years. Fail to win despite quality QB play. For the majority of my adult life they've either had Brees, Rivers, or Herbert at QB yet barely have any playoff wins to speak of. That's pretty embarrassing.

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

So Fitt was responsible and gets credit for bringing in Baylor/Temple guys in his first year?  That’s not on Rhule? 

I mean, yeah Anderson came In under Hurney.  Fitt gave him the stupid contract and is presently one of our biggest cap hits.  

People want to believe in Fitts so badly but I'm just not seeing a whole lot to hang that hat on right now.

• Pie 5

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

People want to believe in Fitts so badly but I'm just not seeing a whole lot to hang that hat on right now.

I was ambivalent to his hiring. Anyone brought in wouldn’t have full control with Rhule obviously. Not even mentioning Tepper. But our depth this year doesn’t seem to be anywhere close to what it should be. As much as people want to focus on big names and top picks, depth matters most in a playoff run when people start getting banged up. 

If the Panthers poo the bed this year I highly think it’s time for a GM change. 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That Greg Little trade though...

In all seriousness, it's so hard to judge one way or the other because you just don't know which players Rhule said, "get this guy here no matter what." We just don't know. Prior to this offseason, it's just too muddy from our persepective.

1 minute ago, Luciu5 said:

That Greg Little trade though...

In all seriousness, it's so hard to judge one way or the other because you just don't know which players Rhule said, "get this guy here no matter what." We just don't know. Prior to this offseason, it's just too muddy from our persepective.

That's why I want to see how this roster progresses this year. I need to see progression to not be ready to move on from Fitts.

• Pie 1