• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young hot take

Zod

4 hours ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

We have receivers? Who is the standout guy? You know this a team sport, right?

This was their pitch - you get the field general that Bryce Young is and you don’t need top receivers because he’s going to distribute the ball so well to the open man we never have to pay top dollar to WRs. 

We heard in camp he changes arm angles well and he throws the receivers open when they are covered. 

That’s just not been the case in live games. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Varking said:

This was their pitch - you get the field general that Bryce Young is and you don’t need top receivers because he’s going to distribute the ball so well to the open man we never have to pay top dollar to WRs. 

We heard in camp he changes arm angles well and he throws the receivers open when they are covered. 

Don't forget the buzzword, "point guard"!  He's a point guard at the QB position...  yet, TMJ didn't get a single touch, iirc, Chark got 1 or 2 touches, Hurst barely got the ball, I dont think Ian Thomas got a touch, he hyperfocused on Thielen in the first half then forgot about him for almost all of the second, and Viska who is probably our most dynamic, gamebreaking player on offense only got, like 3 touches max.

But, SuPeR PrOcEsSoR!

• Pie 2

The fact that he needs to be subbed on 4th and inches alone makes me really dislike this whole situation. It’s not the only reason, but it really irks me. I suppose Cam has ruined what I’ve come to expect from a #1 overall, especially one that we traded our WR1 and a future top 5 pick for. I just wish he showed some sort of separation from other QBs… accuracy, strength, speed, something, but I don’t see anything that screams to me this is what we traded up for and banked our future on. So far I expect us to be moving on from this project once his rookie contract is up, time will tell. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Varking said:

To be fair, it might be different if he was throwing to receivers being covered by our corners in live games like he was in practice...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, Fright said:

The fact that he needs to be subbed on 4th and inches alone makes me really dislike this whole situation. It’s not the only reason, but it really irks me. I suppose Cam has ruined what I’ve come to expect from a #1 overall, especially one that we traded our WR1 and a future top 5 pick for. I just wish he showed some sort of separation from other QBs… accuracy, strength, speed, something, but I don’t see anything that screams to me this is what we traded up for and banked our future on. So far I expect us to be moving on from this project once his rookie contract is up, time will tell. 

It's mind boggling.

Ask yourself - Have the Cards subbed Kyler out on short yardage?

The Hawks or Broncos sub Russ out on short yardage?  

No.  It's just stunning that they are so openly acknowledging how much of a liability they view him as.

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Don't forget the buzzword, "point guard"!  He's a point guard at the QB position...  yet, TMJ didn't get a single touch, iirc, Chark got 1 or 2 touches, Hurst barely got the ball, I dont think Ian Thomas got a touch, he hyperfocused on Thielen in the first half then forgot about him for almost all of the second, and Viska who is probably our most dynamic, gamebreaking player on offense only got, like 3 touches max.

But, SuPeR PrOcEsSoR!

I don't think he's in charge of who is on the field. My point remains,  he can't make bad receivers or bad coaching good. That's just plain unrealistic. 

2 minutes ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

I don't think he's in charge of who is on the field. My point remains,  he can't make bad receivers or bad coaching good. That's just plain unrealistic. 

I'm not disagreeing that coaching is a factor in all of this, and the snap distribution and packages are fuging stupid as hell...  but many have acknowledged already, there are guys open most plays, he just isn't getting it to them, or he's locking in on a guy that's not open.  A true point guard knows where the open man is and gets it to them, no hesitation.  They know when and where the ball has to be every play.  That's what they sold Bryce as, and he's hasn't been that at all.  Even with the funky snap distribution, the target distribution should be that much more varied and it's not.

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

I'm not disagreeing that coaching is a factor in all of this, and the snap distribution and packages are fuging stupid as hell...  but many have acknowledged already, there are guys open most plays, he just isn't getting it to them, or he's locking in on a guy that's not open.  A true point guard knows where the open man is and gets it to them, no hesitation.  They know when and where the ball has to be every play.  That's what they sold Bryce as, and he's hasn't been that at all.  Even with the funky snap distribution, the target distribution should be that much more varied and it's not.

I know that was the selling point and I don't disagree. What I disagree with is that if the play calls are so predictable and the line is so porous it makes it hard to turn that sows ear into a silk purse. They need to let the OC do his job and tell Frank to sit down. I don't know if that will change anything but the overall approach right now is a dumpster fire.

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, Zod said:

I think he is the next Drew Brees if he gets the right coaching.

We don't know how well Brees would have done his rookie season, because he didn't start. But I suspect he would have looked a lot like Bryce.

I was always jealous of how quickly Brees would dissect the defense and that quick gd release. So hard to defend.

I see that potential in Bryce. 

So are we San Diego?