• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Passing Chart against NO

Cdparr7

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The tendency for knee jerk opposite reaction mistakes under Tepper is becoming an alarming trend. Teddy sucked. He was smart but physically limited. So we trade for Darnold who has all the physical tools you want but can't read a field. That ended predictably. Rhule sucked and he had virtually zero NFL experience with a staff that lacked NFL experience. We replace him with a retread.

It just feels like every mistake under Tepper leads to a reaction in the polar opposite direction. Well, that sucked so obviously the opposite extreme will yield guaranteed success, right?

Preach brother. It sure does.

The other alarming trend is can you see him leanring anything along the way? I can't if it's there. We went from a bad school coach to a bad NFL coach but was it learning for just running to thr pollar opposite in the first trend?

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

I wonder how much of Reich’s system played a role in drafting Young. That’s my new concern. Obviously Reich’s system is dependant on getting the ball out quick/processing quick. I wonder how many new school OC’s would honestly draft Young over Stroud and Richardson 

Probably something we can agree on.

Frank runs the West Coast Spread which is designed more pass heavy and emphasizes getting the ball out quickly on short yardage routes with occasional zone runs and read options to manipulate gap assignment on the defense. Usually requires: An agile and athletic OL, QB with a quick release and good vision, a decent pass catching back, and sure handed receivers. The west coast spread does not depend on speedy receivers to gain separation because the offense is designed to spread out the defense and create 1on1 match ups with a QB who can place the ball in tight windows quickly. 

However, we have an OL designed for power run schemes between the tackles, whatever WRs we could get our hands on, and a young QB who hesitates and most likely doesn't have the clearest of vision (not making fun of his height, just being honest). 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

If you want sobering statistics, Young is 4/19 - 60 yds, 2 INT's on throws longer than 10 yards on the year.

Folks, that is a 0.66 QB Rating. For those that don't remember that old stat in the QBR era, that would be on a 0-158.3 scale. 

Thank you for compiling that.  I was too lazy to count but I was thinking I had seen very few impressive throws.  The vast majority of his completions are of a very basic variety, could have kept Bridgewater or Darnold. 
Maybe the coaches have him playing scared, maybe it’s just a small sample size, or maybe he just doesn’t have the physical or mental makeup to do it. 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Teddy B was actually in the top half of average yards per play in his season with the Panthers. 

The whole dink and dunk narrative about him was vastly overblown from disgruntled fans still upset about the Cam saga. 

Screenshot_20230922_065910_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230922_070204_Chrome.jpg

To be fair, Teddy hasn’t exactly set the nfl world on fire since he left here

We already knew Bryce Young has the lowest YPA of any rookie QB through his first two games or w/e (I don't remember the exact stat).  This chart just illustrates the same thing.  It isn't exactly some damning new piece of evidence.

But also, I would encourage you guys to take a look at every other QB's passing chart because they all throw ~80+% of their passes within 10 yards of the LOS.  I'm not gonna post any specific ones or else I'll get flooded with "YoU'rE tRyiNg To CoMpArE bRyCe To *insert elite QB here*?!?!).  But this kind of pass distribution isn't an anomaly, it's the norm.  Where Bryce needs to improve, is with converting a higher percentage of those intermediate passes into completions.  Also attempting 2-3 more deep shots a game certainly wouldn't hurt.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I do not understand the Huddle sometimes.

image.png.affd9be37a5795ae6507eb28449a5756.png

The Huddle would look at that and go "Not throwing deep often enough" or "Shades of Teddy".  Yea, well, that guy just threw for 300 yards and 2 TD's in leading the 49ers to 30 points last night.  In his 8th regular season start.

There isn't a graph, chart or statistic in existence that tells you the whole story.  Bryce may fail.  He may succeed.  But a passing chart isn't going to tell you.

39 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The Huddle would look at that and go "Not throwing deep often enough" or "Shades of Teddy".  Yea, well, that guy just threw for 300 yards and 2 TD's in leading the 49ers to 30 points last night.  In his 8th regular season start.

There isn't a graph, chart or statistic in existence that tells you the whole story.  Bryce may fail.  He may succeed.  But a passing chart isn't going to tell you.

Most teams are trying to take the deep ball away from teams with explosive players and make them play small.  Carolina is choosing to take it away from themselves AND defenses are playing the small ball.  That's presently our big problem.  Playing small ball can work pretty well when teams are playing to take vertical plays away.  Teams aren't playing us to take them away.   We are literally playing into what opposing defenses are playing us to do.    

and the only way to play into what a defenses is playing you to do.....is to have vastly superior talent.  For example, loading the box vs a road grading OL and elite RB.  Well, they might dare you stop them and still win that matchup.   We are basically daring a defense to stop us.....and they are doing it easily.  Oh, you want to come down and defend our small ball.  Guess what, we are still going to play small ball with our weak WRs and predictable calls. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

To be fair, Teddy hasn’t exactly set the nfl world on fire since he left here

To be fair, I think that Rhule and his rookie OC killed Teddy's last chance to be a great QB in this league. He became a backup somewhere else. And, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if these experiences killed his confidence. 

Teddy had a good completion %, made Robbie Anderson a thousand yard receiver for the first (only?) time in his NFL career and, of course, gave another 1000 yards to DJ. 

Even though he's led game-winning drives for other teams in the past, he had none for us. But he also had a terrible offensive line and, apparently, coaches who didn't properly train these guys for 2-minute drills or red zone offense. That's what Teddy said, and clearly it was true.

Anyway, Teddy's career as a starter is over. Bryce still has a chance. But looks like it will take him time to adjust. I just can't help but wonder why I was hearing about all this chemistry between he and Chark in training camp as well as other receivers...and yet, we haven't seen it.

Edited by 96Bravo
Correction

6 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Thank you for compiling that.  I was too lazy to count but I was thinking I had seen very few impressive throws.  The vast majority of his completions are of a very basic variety, could have kept Bridgewater or Darnold. 
Maybe the coaches have him playing scared, maybe it’s just a small sample size, or maybe he just doesn’t have the physical or mental makeup to do it. 

Richardson is basically performing just as poorly. Only Stroud has been a standout through 2 games.

5 hours ago, BrianS said:

Shanahan really has some of ya'll thinking Brock Purdy is something special. We saw how that hand it off or dump it off to McCaffrey/Deebo bullshit went down in the NFC championship.

52 minutes ago, frankw said:

Uh oh we got one. How's that Purdy jersey fitting?

Dude, Im not saying purdy is the next coming of brady, and I agree that Shanahans offense makes ALL QBs look better, but if you legit think all hes a jag just dumping off to CMC or Deebo you're literally huffing glue.  Hes miles better than anything Trey Lance showed and definitely better than Garoppolo.