• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL executives give Bryce Young early grade

Icege

Unfortunately, in this day of “on demand” gratification, people aren’t willing to wait for success. Traditionally, rookie QBs do not come out strong. By the end of the season, Stroud may come back down to earth and Bryce may be trending up. Too soon to tell. I’m pulling for them both…and Richardson. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Wolfcop said:

Unfortunately, in this day of “on demand” gratification, people aren’t willing to wait for success. Traditionally, rookie QBs do not come out strong. By the end of the season, Stroud may come back down to earth and Bryce may be trending up. Too soon to tell. I’m pulling for them both…and Richardson. 

This, I hope they all succeed. We need a new crop of young QBs in this league. Ideally that would include us having one considering the trade we just made. 

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Folks are grasping at straws trying to make it look like Stroud has been working with all pro personnel and elite coaching out of the gate. He was supposed to be going to the worst situation of the top 3 QB's.

We just need Bryce Young to get out there and do his thing. As much as some of these Panthers fans who want to shout down criticism think they are helping Bryce Young they actually just sound like his mom. That's a man. Let him stand on his own two feet and prove something at this level. I hope he does.

This take would be just as valid as anyone on the opposite side saying that you and the others on here *hate* Bryce and want him to fail and that he must have f'ed your girl or w/e.  Do you think that take is fair?  I don't know why people are incapable of not being so incredibly hyperbolic on these boards.  I'm sure I'm guilty of that as well.  But I'm willing to bet all of Bryce's dozens of moms on here would fully co-sign what is stated in the article in the OP, which has plenty of criticisms of Bryce...so this talk about people wanting to shout down any criticism is just delusional and unproductive.  This article is a very rational and well-articulated summary of the good and the bad with Bryce and his supporting cast.  That's what I appreciate rather than "BRYCE BAD".

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, Icege said:

Again, most rational/informed fans will agree without hesitation that two games is not enough of a sample size to pass any judgment on Bryce Young's pro career. He struggled in his first two outings but there's a lot of season left for him to grow (shut up!) and develop. We'll have to wait and see if he gets the start against Minnesota or if they roll Andy out for one more game. That would mean that Bryce comes back vs the Lions + the Dolphins which are going to be even bigger tests for him. I'm eager to see how it plays out! 😄

85% of the Huddle slammed their laptops shut when they got here

So we have execs giving him a C stating he has shown some good with bad. People on here are thinking he has been so bad we are faking injuries to bench and lying to the public about it. At least some of the outside perspective has some logic behind it. No one on here thinks he is looking great and I don’t see how anyone could. There has been some good with the bad despite what people are saying on here. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, ncfan said:

1 was a 2nd rd pick

1 was the top prospect in the draft.

now if you go find me a thread on Burrow after having a mediocre first 2 games on a Bengals board

That be more relevant.

We get it.

You’re a Stroud fan boy and you never wanted Bryce in a million years.

We all gathered that from your 10+ threads a day this spring that kept getting locked and ended with you getting suspended for a bit.  

I thought you were still suspended because you disappeared post draft but came crawling back out of your cave after these first 2 games

you have me confused with someone else, I wanted Bryce and had a Bryce avatar and never had any threads locked.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong or when something isn't going to work out.

It took maybe two quarters to know, Bryce ain't it.

• Beer 1

Not sure being an "NFL exec" is always the best qualification.  Plenty of these guys get fired every year for failing at their job.  Hell, at least half the huddle thinks Fitt's best talent is ordering extra cheese on his whopper.  

With that said, grading out a C for BY seems like a fair conclusion at this point.  We just need to see mental growth from the rook in a big way.  His physical traits aren't going to change in a meaningful way.

6 minutes ago, GOAT said:

you have me confused with someone else, I wanted Bryce and had a Bryce avatar and never had any threads locked.

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong or when something isn't going to work out.

It took maybe two quarters to know, Bryce ain't it.

Not confused at all Goat

Edited by ncfan
  • Flames 1

50 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

This take would be just as valid as anyone on the opposite side saying that you and the others on here *hate* Bryce and want him to fail and that he must have f'ed your girl or w/e.  Do you think that take is fair?  I don't know why people are incapable of not being so incredibly hyperbolic on these boards.  I'm sure I'm guilty of that as well.  But I'm willing to bet all of Bryce's dozens of moms on here would fully co-sign what is stated in the article in the OP, which has plenty of criticisms of Bryce...so this talk about people wanting to shout down any criticism is just delusional and unproductive.  This article is a very rational and well-articulated summary of the good and the bad with Bryce and his supporting cast.  That's what I appreciate rather than "BRYCE BAD".

I can agree there is some definite overdoing it and exaggeration of his struggles to a degree. Many people also agree our front office and staff have left a great deal to be desired so far on the competency front. But criticism exists for all QB's across all fanbases even established ones.

But as far as this instant defense mechanism for quarterbacks who haven't proven anything this fanbase has repeated the same cycle with Kyle Allen Teddy Bridgewater Sam Darnold PJ Walker Baker Mayfield and now Bryce Young.

Only one QB in the history of this franchise has truly made us relevant across the league and led or tried to lead against stiff resistance a change amongst this franchise and fanbase of just being happy to be here/have a team mentality and that's Cam Newton. If Bryce Young can recapture even a percentage of that dog mentality we could be cooking. For now he's got to just make the best of his situation and play ball. But eventually we need to see glimpses of that ability that we traded up for. That's just the nature of the NFL and the weight of being a first overall QB. You don't have to like it but it's been the same for countless other quarterbacks.

Edited by frankw

1 hour ago, DeSim said:

I mean he did play the Falcons defense who’ve played well so far (limiting Lions to 20 points is a success) and Saints defense who’ve shown they’re legit. 

Andy Dalton played a Seahawks D who’ve averaged almost 32 PPG allowed so far, so who knows, maybe Bryce would’ve played the same or better against that type of defense. 

If Bryce plays against the Vikings, who’ve been allowing 28 PPG…we’ll get a better look to grade him and compare. 

I dont think waiting to see bryce play bad defenses just to get a good evaluation is gonna say much. I dont think its gonna prove much at all.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see how he progresses over the course of the season. My primary concern is that so far it looks like both of my concerns about Bryce pre-draft were valid. Those concerns being how his physical tools would translate to the NFL (mobility and arm) and durability. Through two games we've seen him not be able to escape, his arm look below average, and missed a game. I'm just not convinced that his mind is going to be able to overcome the physical deficits but it's still very early and we'll see.

Michael Vick in his prime couldn't escape all the pressures Bryce has dealt with.