• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL executives give Bryce Young early grade

Icege

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

So we have execs giving him a C stating he has shown some good with bad. People on here are thinking he has been so bad we are faking injuries to bench and lying to the public about it. At least some of the outside perspective has some logic behind it. No one on here thinks he is looking great and I don’t see how anyone could. There has been some good with the bad despite what people are saying on here. 

When you trade what we traded to move up and draft him a C grade is appropriate and the C stands for concerning.

This pick needed to be a slam dunk in order for it to be worth it and so far it’s far from. No one is saying he’s an outright bust but he hasn’t done anything to wow anyone and that’s a problem 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, frankw said:

I can agree there is some definite overdoing it and exaggeration of his struggles to a degree. Many people also agree our front office and staff have left a great deal to be desired so far on the competency front. But criticism exists for all QB's across all fanbases even established ones.

But as far as this instant defense mechanism for quarterbacks who haven't proven anything this fanbase has repeated the same cycle with Kyle Allen Teddy Bridgewater Sam Darnold PJ Walker Baker Mayfield and now Bryce Young.

Only one QB in the history of this franchise has truly made us relevant across the league and led or tried to lead against stiff resistance a change amongst this franchise and fanbase of just being happy to be here/have a team mentality and that's Cam Newton. If Bryce Young can recapture even a percentage of that dog mentality we could be cooking. For now he's got to just make the best of his situation and play ball. But eventually we need to see glimpses of that ability that we traded up for. That's just the nature of the NFL and the weight of being a first overall QB. You don't have to like it but it's been the same for countless other quarterbacks.

I'm saying that we're all open and welcome of criticism of our players/team (except maybe iamhubby/Gerry Green) so I'm not sure why you still appear to be trying to explain to me why criticism is okay.  I get it...I agree.

Most of us who are supportive of Bryce: our entire argument revolves around him being a rookie with two starts under his belt, and how it's way too soon and honestly silly to make any judgments on him at this point.  So I'm not sure that bringing up a bunch of failed retreads (Teddy, Darnold, Baker) and a couple of nobodies (Allen, PJ) makes a lot of sense to compare to Bryce.  Not to mention I don't know who ever hyped up PJ Walker on here other than CRA, so that's kind of a weird one to sneak in there.  If anything, I could argue that guys like Darnold and Kyle Allen are good examples to the contrary of what you're arguing.  Darnold and Allen were actually pretty solid in their first few starts with us.  Some people got overly excited about them, while others (like yourself, I'm assuming) were saying that it's only a matter of time before they implode and show their true colors.  Those seem like good examples of why you shouldn't judge a QB too quickly after a few starts, no?

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

When you trade what we traded to move up and draft him a C grade is appropriate and the C stands for concerning.

This pick needed to be a slam dunk in order for it to be worth it and so far it’s far from. No one is saying he’s an outright bust but he hasn’t done anything to wow anyone and that’s a problem 

C grade in 2 weeks is not the end of the world. All the matters is the end result. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I'm saying that we're all open and welcome of criticism of our players/team (except maybe iamhubby/Gerry Green) so I'm not sure why you still appear to be trying to explain to me why criticism is okay.  I get it...I agree.

Most of us who are supportive of Bryce: our entire argument revolves around him being a rookie with two starts under his belt, and how it's way too soon and honestly silly to make any judgments on him at this point.  So I'm not sure that bringing up a bunch of failed retreads (Teddy, Darnold, Baker) and a couple of nobodies (Allen, PJ) makes a lot of sense to compare to Bryce.  Not to mention I don't know who ever hyped up PJ Walker on here other than CRA, so that's kind of a weird one to sneak in there.  If anything, I could argue that guys like Darnold and Kyle Allen are good examples to the contrary of what you're arguing.  Darnold and Allen were actually pretty solid in their first few starts with us.  Some people got overly excited about them, while others (like yourself, I'm assuming) were saying that it's only a matter of time before they implode and show their true colors.  Those seem like good examples of why you shouldn't judge a QB too quickly after a few starts, no?

If you agree that Darnold and Allen's first games where they looked good were ultimately a mirage then why are we hoping Bryce Young suddenly clicks against lesser competition? We've already seen that story play out just as you stated. It sounds to me like lowering the bar which is going backwards from where we were even before Cam got here. Sad state of affairs.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

You don't grade any player on 2 weeks of play, regardless of the cost to acquire the player.  I expect better from you. 

I just want Young out there so we can see what we have.  I think he saw how fast he has to play last week.  Regardless of what I feel, we just need to see Bryce play.  Two games is pretty laughable when judging his career trajectory.  

As far as his draft pedigree, no one is guarantied anything in the NFL.  Every talking heads said last years draft class of QBs was pretty bland.  The excited types are coming this year.  This seasons QB class is supposed to rival the 1983 class...  Keep finding hyperbole...  

In reality, many QBs don't make it.  How many did Cleveland go through before Baker?  Maybe Bryce will, maybe he won't.  At the end of the day, that's outside of our control.

This staff went up and got him, knowing what they know.  They are betting their jobs and future jobs on his success.  If Bryce doesn't pan out in 2-3 years - then everyone loses their job and we start over again.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

It's so unfair to critique Bryce through only 2 games. I know it's hard given Stroud's last two games (his first game was not good) and BY already injured. The good thing about the injury is that any QB would have sustained it and it's not a size/frame thing that caused it. 

9 has shown enough in two games of "unteachable" things that "it" guys just have. The problematic issues are teachable/coachable. I have minimal concerns with his long-term trajectory. Trying to outrun NFL DL/LBs, not reading a well-disguised coverage by a vet S and DC, and misfiring to WRs that are not separating running route concepts properly is fixable.  

As the article mentioned the schemes, injuries and coaching staff hasn't done right by Young. Yes, CJ has had a similar situation, but I see flaws in Stroud's game that could get potentially exposed in time with more film on him. 

Wasn't there a rating of our receiving squad being ranked 31st in the league before the season started? I took that article with a grain of salt and then games 1 and 2 happened, and it was right. 

This is a team sport, so I don't understand all the angst towards the QB, especially when again THIS IS A TEAM SPORT! 

My main target it Reich and play calling. He can't hand it over to Brown soon enough for me.