• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The offense with Bryce is getting worse every week

electro's horse

16 minutes ago, Growl said:

Yeah so our Y/A was actually higher than the Seattle game, and though our AYPA was a little bit shorter-the most incriminating piece of data is that our Y/A and AYPA vs the Vikes were IDENTICAL. That is an absolutely astounding failure on the part of the skill positions players. This team does not have the horses offensively to run the kind of offense Reich wants to run. Watching them throw those pitiful swing passes to Sanders or Hubbard only for them to lose to their man right at the LOS for no gain over and over was pitiful.

Huddlers may scream and squeal about it, but the short passing game is the modern nfl and they’re going to have to learn to deal with it-the issue is that the panthers don’t have the weaponry to generate plus after the catch which is what makes it functional, and they don’t have the protection to take their shots.

Young obviously has made mistakes. But he’s in his third game. The game will slow down for him. Ekwonu not being able to beat a safety in a one on one matchup is far more egregious. Miles Sanders not being able to make his man miss is far more inexcusable.

Well there is one player that can't make chicken salad out of chicken ish. Unfortunately, we can't seem to get him the ball on a consistent basis - Laviska. He looked like the best RB when he lined up back there. He was obviously the most productive at smoke screens, but you know, gotta get back to dives with Sanders and smokes with Theilen. 

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

https://theathletic.com/4919479/2023/10/01/panthers-loss-rebuild-brian-burns-trade/

Panthers players said Young’s problem wasn’t failing to recognize blitzes, although Wonnum believes the Vikings’ interior pressure affected Young’s field vision. “He really couldn’t step up and see what was going on,” Wonnum said. “Having those guys allowed us to work on the edge, and Harrison and all of us were able to make big plays.”

This is a problem and limitation

There's not a QB in the league who interior pressure doesn't effect that way. Does it affect shorter QBs more? Probably, but no QB is going to be able to overcome consistent pressure from the interior DL. As Wonnum said, that kind of interior pressure makes the edge that much harder to defend.

Look at Drew Brees; during his best years he had arguably the best pair of guards in the game during. Jhari Evans and Carl Nicks, then Ben Grubbs replaced Nicks. They knew how important it was to keep that interior pressure to a minimum. We've got waiver wire scraps and a 4th round rookie (who may be playing as poorly as any rookie in the league right now) at both our guard spots. That's been a far bigger problem for us than I think most people realize.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, br2nc0 said:

Houston has Tank Dell and Nico Collins, both young and talented receivers. Not to mention an Oline, including the best tackle in football in Laremy Tunsil. Dameon Pierce had a solid game last week, going 81 yds on 24 rushes. Indy has Michael Pittman and Alec Pierce are also having solid receivers. Zack Moss is having a good start to his season, going for 280 yds so far this year.

Bryce young has had one receiver go for over 50 yards this season, and that is Adam Thielen. Our Oline is terrible, our receivers are disappointing. And our offensive playcalling sucks, something that you can't really say for the Texans or the Colts.

Dalton has had two in one game - both caught a TD.

Maybe Stroud is making the players around him better? Novel concept for a  QB, I know.

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, Panthering said:

We basically need all pro guards and center for this operation to work with Bryce. That is what allowed Brees to be so good.

They knew all this going in - the blueprint was how the Saints had success with Brees... albeit Brees was 2 inches taller and had a stronger arm. 

Just now, Jay Roosevelt said:

There's not a QB in the league who interior pressure doesn't effect that way. Does it affect shorter QBs more? Probably, but no QB is going to be able to overcome consistent pressure from the interior DL. As Wonnum said, that kind of interior pressure makes the edge that much harder to defend.

Look at Drew Brees; during his best years he had arguably the best pair of guards in the game during. Jhari Evans and Carl Nicks, then Ben Grubbs replaced Nicks. They knew how important it was to keep that interior pressure to a minimum. We've got waiver wire scraps and a 4th round rookie (who may be playing as poorly as any rookie in the league right now) at both our guard spots. That's been a far bigger problem for us than I think most people realize.

It has been well known in the NFL that Brady's kryptonite is/was pressure from the interior. Nothing to do with height. Everything to do with a QB not being able to step up in the pocket or step into his throw. 

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

He is struggling with everything but keep pretending this is just normal stuff. The other rookies are making more of their struggles while Young looks like a guy who shouldn't have been drafted in the first round let alone the #1 pick. Lawrence struggled but looked extremally talented his rookie year with the worst HC of the decade so far, Young looks like a dud from top to bottom.  

It's getting to the point where I can see Young starring in a 30 for 30 in a few years time.

"What if I told you that the #1 QB out of High School and the #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft washed out of the NFL in three years..."

10 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Well there is one player that can't make chicken salad out of chicken ish. Unfortunately, we can't seem to get him the ball on a consistent basis - Laviska. He looked like the best RB when he lined up back there. He was obviously the most productive at smoke screens, but you know, gotta get back to dives with Sanders and smokes with Theilen. 

honestly I’d like to see Shenault get full time reps out of the backfield, I’m guessing they don’t think he can pass pro which is why they’re so gunshy about putting him there, but you’ve got to do something to generate a spark in the run game 

Reich making a stink about Thielen not being out there for a screen when Shenault is the only player who can do something with it is odd to me 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

Dalton has had two in one game - both caught a TD.

Maybe Stroud is making the players around him better? Novel concept for a  QB, I know.

Wouldn't doubt Stroud is doing that, but I also would doubt that it would be hard to make a play when 75% of your pass plays are screen plays.

17 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

It's getting to the point where I can see Young starring in a 30 for 30 in a few years time.

"What if I told you that the #1 QB out of High School and the #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft washed out of the NFL in three years..."

Honestly he is more forgettable than anything. That's Johnny Football territory. They will roll his name out for draft stuff but I doubt most will remembwr him in 10 years. 'He looks a little too much like Young for me to feel good about taking this kid in the first round'...