• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce critics - let's be honest

NAS

I think what has most of our fanbase frustrated all boils down to two problems.

1. The physical tools.  It currently doesn't look as if Bryce has the physical tools to compete in the NFL.  He looks a step slow and seems to lack the arm to make all the NFL throws.  It's frustrating to watch, and we've got another 2.5 years of it before we'll be in a position to change it.  Maybe there is something that can be done on the strength and conditioning side to fix some of it.  I don't know.  But the physical tools are a glaring problem right now.

2.  The playmaking.  Or, lack thereof.  All we heard during the offseason was how Bryce used his mental acuity to make up for his physical shortcomings.  He made plays they said.  I'm still waiting to see evidence of this.  What's worse, I don't even see evidence that he's trying to make those plays.

Do you know who Bryce looks most like right now?  PJ Walker.  That's terrifying.  I hope he figures it out, I hope he overcomes the roadblocks in front of him.  I want him to succeed.  I just don't know if he can.  The next two weeks are going to be brutal.  Then the two weeks after that we get to see the other two QB's who he will forever be compared to.

I hope Bryce isn't completely broken by the end of it.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

We have no choice but to let this play out this year and next. In 2025 we have our first rounder and can draft another QB with a new GM and coach 

Bryce will get 3 seasons most likely. 2026 could be when Arch Manning is coming out of college. 

54 minutes ago, frankw said:

The height thing has been debated into oblivion. His physical talent is what is impossible to ignore. His main selling point was his QB brain and how he was years ahead of his age in terms of his QB intelligence. He skipped the combine and was awful on deep passes at his own proday while CJ Stroud showed off his natural ability in that key area. Now 4 games into his rookie season we are asking ourselves if he has the physical talent to be a franchise QB. It is not an overreaction when the other QB's taken in the top 5 are very clearly showing off that phsyical talent. You either have that or you don't and it isn't fair but that's the sport. The criticism is valid.

You lost me at "awful" at his deep passes on his Pro Day. That hyperbole belies your lack of genuine impartiality.

I am not off the Bryce bandwagon just yet because many a first round rookie QB looks like poo in year one. That said....the red flags are mounting.

But, I think as time goes on the more I am blaming Frank Reich.

If you haven't noticed, most of our returning offensive players have almost all looked far worse than last season. I don't think that is an accident.

Frank has zero ability to change what he does to suit the players you have. It's pretty questionable how well it would work with a lineup of very elite players. 

The bulk of my ire is directed at the coaching staff currently. The remaining bulk is at the front office and ownership. Those are the biggest problems we face as a franchise. Even if Bryce ends up a bust, he is a symptom of a bigger sickness.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, NAS said:

If you look at my post history I was a CJ Stroud guy, so miss me with being a Bryce fanboy or coddler.    However, I think the kid can be a really good QB if he gets put into a better situation.   I don't know if he will be great, or have the same ceiling as AR or Stroud,  but I think we should lookin in the mirror and self reflect by asking ourselves a few questions:

1. Is it Bryce Young's fault that Panthers traded up to pick him at #1? 

Your anger should be directed at the FO not the rookie QB who is trying to develop in an extremely difficult situation.

2. If Bryce was 6'2" instead of 5'10" and had the same identical performances, would you feel the same away about his progress as a rookie QB? 

Be honest.  You would probably give him a much longer leash but you're playing into the optics of him being small as the reason for not performing better.  

3.  If Ian Thomas catches the TD on the ball that hit him in the hands, or Bryce has even decent offensive line protection, Panthers win the game yesterday and Bryce wins with over 100 QB rating and Panthers are 1-3 instead of 0-4.    Would you still be saying he's a bust?  

I'm just saying, 3 games into his career, this is a major overreaction.  Trevor Lawrence was terrible most of his rookie year, but people didn't call him a bust because he's tall,  Jaguars didn't trade up to get him, and he had a terrible coach.  Bryce should at least get a chance to play out his rookie year and support him along the way.

3 games into his career and exactly zero plays that make you think "this guy is a first-round draft pick", let alone ones where you think "we traded the #1 pick in the draft for this guy".

• The D 2

27 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You lost me at "awful" at his deep passes on his Pro Day. That hyperbole belies your lack of genuine impartiality.

I think your issue is you simply don't like what you're reading but if you do a quick search he received praise for the shorter quick passes it was the deep passes that were "flat". That doesn't sound "good". What's the opposite of good? Should I have said they were subpar at best? Would that soothe your sensitivity this morning?

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

I agree with all of this, I'm not mad at Bryce, but at everyone in the Panthers front office and coaching staff that fed us all this poo about him this offseason before we got to actually watch it on NFL Sundays. But your point about his size in #2 ain't changing no matter how you slice it and that is worrying me. Yeah sure if he was taller maybe he'd have a longer leash but he isn't, he's small out there point blank period. Propensity to go down easily when touched by a D Line, not stepping up into the pocket (size thing? Unsure.), not the biggest arm, etc. etc. etc.

But this coaching staff and front office has utterly failed him so far.

He falls when touched. Fumbles when touched. Takes sacks in critical situations. Shows no true situational awareness so far. His chin strap covers half his face.

Ok the last one is a personal dislike of mine... but he has shown A LOT more than a couple bad throws/non catches and being short to be disgusted about. 

• Beer 1

I hold no anger against BY. He is simply not a NFL QB.

Our owner, FO and coaching staff on the other hand...

We traded two first rounder for the wrong QB. We said no to two 1st rounder and a 2nd round pick for a DE who is not winning us any games now or for the time being.

4 1st round pick (some very high) and a extra 2nd round pick. That is how you start a rebuild.

The whole FO should be fired today.
We could have had.
2023 draft:
Taking some O-line / TE / WR to set our furture QB up for succes and then in...

2024 draft pick 1st round
QB Williams (our pick)

OT Fashanu or WR Harrison (rams pick)

2025  1st round
Build around your new QB with two picks in the first round (ours and Rams) or start to build up our D with pass rushers etc.

We fuged up our rebuild. Fitterer is the worst GM in our history and we and BY are paying for it.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1