• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce critics - let's be honest

NAS

Pretty telling that the "you'd all be seeing this differently, then wouldn't you?" Moment is a back of the endzone pass to a TE from the goal line.

That's the kind of play I expect a QB to make... not BYs fault it didn't happen, but it doesn't address my bigger concerns with him.  Not saying he's a bust but he really looks to have physical limitations on his play.

Now if he hits those two long bombs in earlier games? Yes that would.

Until he can consistently (as in once or twice a game if not more) punish teams deep, the offense will struggle... deep doesn't even need to be 40+ yards... How many passes did he even attempt that were 20+ yards yesterday?

2 hours ago, NAS said:

If you look at my post history I was a CJ Stroud guy, so miss me with being a Bryce fanboy or coddler.    However, I think the kid can be a really good QB if he gets put into a better situation.   I don't know if he will be great, or have the same ceiling as AR or Stroud,  but I think we should lookin in the mirror and self reflect by asking ourselves a few questions:

1. Is it Bryce Young's fault that Panthers traded up to pick him at #1? 

Your anger should be directed at the FO not the rookie QB who is trying to develop in an extremely difficult situation.

2. If Bryce was 6'2" instead of 5'10" and had the same identical performances, would you feel the same away about his progress as a rookie QB? 

Be honest.  You would probably give him a much longer leash but you're playing into the optics of him being small as the reason for not performing better.  

3.  If Ian Thomas catches the TD on the ball that hit him in the hands, or Bryce has even decent offensive line protection, Panthers win the game yesterday and Bryce wins with over 100 QB rating and Panthers are 1-3 instead of 0-4.    Would you still be saying he's a bust?  

I'm just saying, 3 games into his career, this is a major overreaction.  Trevor Lawrence was terrible most of his rookie year, but people didn't call him a bust because he's tall,  Jaguars didn't trade up to get him, and he had a terrible coach.  Bryce should at least get a chance to play out his rookie year and support him along the way.

1.  Not at all.  

2. Bad is bad.  Personally, I've just commented on what I've seen play out.  Being short isn't an optic, it's a physical trait btw.  I do think BY has serious issues seeing the field and it's the biggest limiting factor so far.

3. That ball, why catchable needed more air.  Not going to bother playing what if with you, we have actual results to discuss.

For the love of god, stop comping BY to anyone.  Peyton Manning, Trevor Lawrence or whoever else is the flavor of the day for "was bad at some point" validation.  Jimmy Clausen was also terrible and stayed terrible, means nothing.  Bryce is his own man with his own trajectory, one which we're in the midst of at the moment.  2023 is a lost season already, we're going to see plenty more of Bryce.  I hope that against obvious odds the kid can put it together, but legitimately fear the height concerns were well founded.

• Pie 1

I think this is tough. True, the play calling has been bad, but Bryce has to take some chances down field and give his receivers opportunity to make plays. Second to last play, Theliend is wide open on the double move and Bryce doesn't pull the trigger. Bryce could still turn into something, but he's got some work to do.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, NAS said:

If you look at my post history I was a CJ Stroud guy, so miss me with being a Bryce fanboy or coddler.    However, I think the kid can be a really good QB if he gets put into a better situation.   I don't know if he will be great, or have the same ceiling as AR or Stroud,  but I think we should lookin in the mirror and self reflect by asking ourselves a few questions:

1. Is it Bryce Young's fault that Panthers traded up to pick him at #1? 

Your anger should be directed at the FO not the rookie QB who is trying to develop in an extremely difficult situation.

2. If Bryce was 6'2" instead of 5'10" and had the same identical performances, would you feel the same away about his progress as a rookie QB? 

Be honest.  You would probably give him a much longer leash but you're playing into the optics of him being small as the reason for not performing better.  

3.  If Ian Thomas catches the TD on the ball that hit him in the hands, or Bryce has even decent offensive line protection, Panthers win the game yesterday and Bryce wins with over 100 QB rating and Panthers are 1-3 instead of 0-4.    Would you still be saying he's a bust?  

I'm just saying, 3 games into his career, this is a major overreaction.  Trevor Lawrence was terrible most of his rookie year, but people didn't call him a bust because he's tall,  Jaguars didn't trade up to get him, and he had a terrible coach.  Bryce should at least get a chance to play out his rookie year and support him along the way.

1. Absolutely not his fault, but just a sum of the problem under Tepper. Was it actually the FO decision or Tepper and his wife's?

2. Dude could be ten feet tall, bro you suck, you suck.

3. I mentioned last week about Hunter Henry as he isn't involved in the offense and i guess he gets paid as much as Ian Thomas, who is awful. Why the fug is Ian Thomas on this team? Why was he even in on that play and why isn't Henry the one making the play? Henry has hands, runs routes, but Ian Thomas still has a job. This team has always had these legacy players that for some reason get held onto b/c people think they have potential, but then they do end up somewhere else, they're either cut or never get signed. Ian Thomas wouldn't play anywhere else in this league, yet he's been here it seems ten damn years.

It all starts with Tepper. All three of these things start with Tepper. Start Dalton if you want to win ball games.

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

3. I mentioned last week about Hunter Henry as he isn't involved in the offense and i guess he gets paid as much as Ian Thomas, who is awful. Why the fug is Ian Thomas on this team? Why was he even in on that play and why isn't Henry the one making the play? Henry has hands, runs routes, but Ian Thomas still has a job. This team has always had these legacy players that for some reason get held onto b/c people think they have potential, but then they do end up somewhere else, they're either cut or never get signed. Ian Thomas wouldn't play anywhere else in this league, yet he's been here it seems ten damn years.

I think you mean Hayden Hurst.

Im going to say this, bryce is not a bust yet and they shouldn't give up on him. BUT.....they would be fools not to bring in competition next year threw trade or the draft at this rate. I dont care how much you have invested in him, there are other players on the roster who need to develop and put in the time and work to win. It may not be the case right now, but when other players start getting frustrated you will start hearing things about who is holding the team back, questioning coaching staff,  and that's when it gets volatile. We see it all the time. Making bryce compete for his job is not a bad thing and honestly it should have been done from the start. They bottled up andy dalton threw pre season and camp because they wanted to make sure he didn't look systematically better which ended up happening when he had to play. 

P.S. i know some people not gonna take this post seriously because it ridiculous blah, blah, blah.  But this is coming from the same person who never bought the hype on this staff or bryce young. I said from the very beginning it needs to be a wait and see thing. So go ahead...just know you heard it here first. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

I think your issue is you simply don't like what you're reading but if you do a quick search he received praise for the shorter quick passes it was the deep passes that were "flat". That doesn't sound "good". What's the opposite of good? Should I have said they were subpar at best? Would that soothe your sensitivity this morning?

I looked at the whole thing. You are the first person I've seen refer to his deep passes that day as "awful." Truly.

He's got a ways to go. Coaching doesnt seem to be helping him. Still doesnt pull the trigger on timing routes. When you add everything, the lack of results and the draft capital plus DJ, it adds to the fire of the criticism. People want results immediately and the common sentiment was that he is NFL ready which clearly is not the case. I dont roam much here but for a couple minutes a week, and while I would not be shocked for people to be throwing out the bust word, there is no way that many people would suggest it yet. But, often, people tend to let the loudest people represent the majority on their heads.

3 hours ago, Racist Cat Lady said:

I think if Frank can dial up some plays that give Bryce the opportunity to throw longer than 15 yards that would quiet a lot of critics.  I believe so much of these problems falls on coaching.  The game management miscues alone are that of a rookie head coach, it’s unacceptable.
  On a side note, offense as a whole seemed much better in the hurry up.  

If Reich could consistently dial up plays where WRs were College open 15 yards down the field he wouldn't have been sacked by the Colts.

• Flames 1

32 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Im going to say this, bryce is not a bust yet and they shouldn't give up on him. BUT.....they would be fools not to bring in competition next year threw trade or the draft at this rate. I dont care how much you have invested in him, there are other players on the roster who need to develop and put in the time and work to win. It may not be the case right now, but when other players start getting frustrated you will start hearing things about who is holding the team back, questioning coaching staff,  and that's when it gets volatile. We see it all the time. Making bryce compete for his job is not a bad thing and honestly it should have been done from the start. They bottled up andy dalton threw pre season and camp because they wanted to make sure he didn't look systematically better which ended up happening when he had to play. 

P.S. i know some people not gonna take this post seriously because it ridiculous blah, blah, blah.  But this is coming from the same person who never bought the hype on this staff or bryce young. I said from the very beginning it needs to be a wait and see thing. So go ahead...just know you heard it here first. 

I don't necessarily disagree.

• Pie 1