• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Bryce busts, was that the worst trade in the history of the NFL?

Captroop

22 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

It really depends on what happens with the Bears. If the Bears end up off-loading Justin Fields and getting Drake Maye/Caleb Williams AND Marvin Harrison Jr., along with a guy like Eric Bienemy as Head Coach, then yes. Absolutely. The consequence of this trade will have been massive. 

You cannot use that as part of the equation.  What happens if the Bears trades those picks? "What if's" are infinite. What if Williams and Mayes are bust and Bryce is just average?  What if CJ and AR end up injured and or ultimately fail also? We can play this all day.  You will not know the answer to this for another season ot two.

• Pie 1

I'm of 2 minds about this. On the one hand, I'm glad Stroud isn't playing behind this o-line because of his style of play.

On the other hand, it IS possible that he would have made Thielen, TMJ and Chark look as good as Woods, Collins and Dell look right now.

• Pie 1

If Stroud and AR end up being high end starters and the pick we give up next year turns into Williams or Maye and they end up that way, without question it will be the worst trade ever.

The others people have mentioned don't even come close because these will be about the most important position in the game, where we took the 1 bust while simultaneously passing up 2 great QB's and giving away a possible generational talent with that first next year.  The closest would be the 49ers Lance trade, but at most it's keeping them from being the unquestioned SB favorites every year and instead just being one of the favorites, while ours could be killing this franchise for the next 5 years.

Unmittigated disaster

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1

5 hours ago, travisura said:

3 firsts and a 3rd for Trey Lance. It will be a while before another trade that bad occurs. SF got bailed out by a good roster and getting lucky that their 7th round QB flyer turned out to be the guy.

The shows the absurdity of mortgaging the future for one guy, Qb or not. You build your roster up and you will find your Qb. 

All that the 49ers gave up and their Qb is a 7th rd draft pick. 

The Panthers would be a much better position jad Dakyon started the season or they signed a vet like Derek Carr. 

6 hours ago, Captroop said:

I know it's only 3 games, so we can't know at this point, hence the "if." This is purely a thought experiment.

I'm genuinely trying to think of a worse one, and I can't do it. Two firsts (and at this point looking increasingly like 2 top-3 picks), a second, and DJ Moore. That amount of capital doesn't seem like the kind of thing you take a flyer on. That's the certainty of taking a perennial All Pro, with a 10+ year career.

If Bryce just doesn't pan out, have the Carolina Panthers earned the ignominy of making the worst trade in the history of the NFL?

Please find a counter-argument. Please.

Bryce ain't a fuging bust. He showed noticeable improvement this week. He's being handcuffed by his own coach. His weak supporting cast isn't helping much either. If the Rams or Dolphins had him instead he'd look just as good as Stroud.

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

You cannot use that as part of the equation.  What happens if the Bears trades those picks? "What if's" are infinite. What if Williams and Mayes are bust and Bryce is just average?  What if CJ and AR end up injured and or ultimately fail also? We can play this all day.  You will not know the answer to this for another season ot two.

No one knows the future for certain and this thread is literally a "what if" thread so I can't "what if" all I want. 

You can disagree if you want. However the Bears have an amazing opportunity here. A franchise altering opportunity.

I've also watched enough of Williams ans Drake Maye to have a good feeling that not only will they not be busts, but both are likely to be perennial Pro Bowl players. Both of the physical traits and mental processing are what you'd look for, meanwhile we went for one of those two.

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he busts I think it does unseat the Sean Gilbert trade as the worst trade in Panthers history. If he busts AND Stroud and/or Richardson end up being HOF SB QBs then it's gonna be in the conversation for worst trades in NFL history.

Keep in mind, the Panthers gave Washington 2 first round picks and made Gilbert the highest paid defensive player in NFL history (at that time), handing him a $47M contract in 1998. Remember Gilbert sat out the 1997 season in Washington, and he ended up with 15.5 sacks in 64 games before leaving in 2002.