• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling it - the Bryce Young trade is the worst in team history

TN05

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Plus people really need to stop acting like 5'10" 190 and 6'1"+ and 220 pounds is the same "undersized" category. Doug Flutie is the only Bryce size comp. You can use PJ Walker too if you want but he obviously has a way stronger arm

So the QBs that have those measurables and still struggle their first year. What's the excuse then?

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, Shocker said:

He is struggling but still not giving up on guy after 4 games.  That is actually the stupidest thing I ever heard

Why would we trade the number one pick in the draft for a guy that takes a few years? The idea was to win now and we’re doing the opposite.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 2

There's a couple really weird aspects about this whole thing.

First is that if we don't make the trade, we're likely nowhere near the worst team in the league and thus wouldn't have even ended up with the #1 pick in the draft anyways.  We'd have still had DJ, whoever we would have taken at 9, someone else in the 2nd, and ended up with like a Jacoby Brissett at QB, that's a better team than what we have right now.

The other, is that the trade might end up being so bad that instead of setting us back 5-7 years, it actually might expedite the re-build and get it started sooner.  If after year 2 or 3, we're in a position to draft a new QB, which we very well may be, then I think we do and the re-set starts sooner than the usually 4-5 year window that a high first round pick would usually get before the team tries to re-set.

And honestly, I'm not seeing anything out of this team that says we won't be picking right back in the Top 5 in 2025 again.  There really isn't much at all to be positive about with this team right now, at least not in terms of anything positive for the long term success of this franchise.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

First is that if we don't make the trade, we're likely nowhere near the worst team in the league and thus wouldn't have even ended up with the #1 pick in the draft anyways.  We'd have still had DJ, whoever we would have taken at 9, someone else in the 2nd, and ended up with like a Jacoby Brissett at QB, that's a better team than what we have right now.

The other, is that the trade might end up being so bad that instead of setting us back 5-7 years, it actually might expedite the re-build and get it started sooner.  If after year 2 or 3, we're in a position to draft a new QB, which we very well may be, then I think we do and the re-set starts sooner than the usually 4-5 year window that a high first round pick would usually get before the team tries to re-set.

And honestly, I'm not seeing anything out of this team that says we won't be picking right back in the Top 5 in 2025 again.  There really isn't much at all to be positive about with this team right now, at least not in terms of anything positive for the long term success of this franchise.

And we thought we had a 3 year head start on the rest of the NFC South lol. Add on another 3 just to catch up

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, TN05 said:

Doesn't matter if he pans out eventually. The entire idea behind it was to win now, and we inexplicably traded out future #1 pick and top wideout for a a QB with "elite processing" and zero elite traits. The entire team has regressed in every department. Nothing is going right. Not only are we not winning now, we're not winning at all.

This might still be tolerable if Bryce Young looked like a #1 pick, but he doesn't. Our superprocessor, Napoleon Bonaparte of a quarterback is making some of the worst decisions you'll ever see, leading to Clausen-esque interceptions, with very little to show otherwise in any time other than garbage time. The coaching staff clearly has no faith in him. The fact he doesn't have weapons or the best line in the league does not matter - if he's not ready to carry a team, we should not have traded what we did for him.

As far as I can tell, no NFL team that traded a first round pick has ever ended up with it being the #1 pick. We will likely end up being the first. This is an outright embarrassment and the worst trade I can think of that we've ever done. Oddly enough, this was one time analytics would have helped Tepper because literally nothing about Young's physical profile screams "NFL quarterback". It will take years to dig ourselves out of this mess.

And before you mention it - no, Sean Gilbert doesn't count. This is because it wasn't actually a trade (it was signing a player under another team's franchise tag), and because Gilbert wasn't actually terrible - he was one of the better pieces on our 1999 and 2000 defenses, just not anywhere near the price of two first-round picks. The most disastrous part of Gilbert was his salary.

Take a chill pill 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

FOX showed that graphic during the game showing other first year QB records

Aikman, Montana, Manning all on the list of having horrible rookie years

they turned out okay

You can find A LOT more shitty quarterbacks to compare him to.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

I actually agree with this, which is why I don't think the trade was the end of the world or that "we mortgaged our future" even if Bryce doesn't work out. We have our whole draft in 2025 (except the #2). I know we're in 2023 where life stories are told in 15-second TikTok videos and two weeks is an eternity, but even if everything goes completely wrong, the whole thing resets in about 18 months or so.

If Bryce doesn't work out, I'm personally in favor of the hard reset that everyone has been avoiding. Don't do stupid extensions, no matter who it is--Burns, Brown, Horn, no one. Trade them or let them leave and collect comp picks. Clean out the front office and replace them with a new staff--particularly the scouting department. Clean out the coaching staff and be ready from someone like Slowik or Johnson.  

• Pie 1

I mean not young’s fault ultimately, he didn’t ask for us to trade an absurd amount to trade up for him.

it’s actually stunning to me that people who get paid millions to make such incompetent decisions.

these types trades have been made time after time, historically, they have not panned out and news flash, when there’s a talent that rare for grabs at 1# rarely if never do teams trade out of that spot, colts let Peyton walk for Andrew luck, this is even with his last healthy season with the colts being a superbowl appearance.

everything since 2018 has resembled a team that owner has his finger prints all over, releasing cam, trading cmc, trading dj Moore….cons fans into believing these moves were for the betterment of the future of the team, it’s all well worded bs these guys are clueless 

• Pie 1

This sure seems like it's worse than the Sean Gilbert trade. That one scared JR permanently so maybe this one teaches Tepper something...if it's possible for him to finally learn aanything positive about running an NFL team.

It's going down in history as the worst trade for the team. It might also be the worst year ever also so I guess Tepper finally got his big move and big outcome he has been looking for since 2020.

7 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

FOX showed that graphic during the game showing other first year QB records

Aikman, Montana, Manning all on the list of having horrible rookie years

they turned out okay

those guys were all over 6'. how about a list of guys that were terrible then turned it around but were under 6'.....