• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How long are you willing to give Bryce the benefit of the doubt

How long?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. topic title

• I'm already done with him/never wanted him
    • Giving him the rest of the season, if he's still mediocre EOS I'm out
    • Next Season, if he's still mediocre next season I'm out
    • I'm following the year 3 rule
    • Until he gets a new coach/GM (whenever that may be)
    • Jay-Z
    • Other (please specify)

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

And this is why im not buying all the vitriol for the o line. Have they been good as last year? No...but they have been good enough for an adequate qb to succeed. What do you expect and nfl offensive line to do when they have a qb that dropbacks 15 yards in the pocket right in the lane of rushers and cant step up in the pocket to avoid them because his vision gets clouded downfield then he has to bring the ball down and maneuver which adds up to way to long for a o line to block. Its a recipe for disaster and no O line is gonna look good with a qb doing these things all game. But I guess the people that think they know football will get it one day.

They are not playing great in this scheme and there are injuries but I believe Bryce's limitations make everyone look worse. It's the polar opposite of the 'Bryce isn't the problem' crowd. What he can't do list is incredibly long. No pro formations and only shotgun? Sure. No QB runs to soften the D? Sure. No deep passes connecting so no one respects the O and just stacks the box until prevent D time? Sure. It just keeps going.

If he wants to benefit of the doubt then do something to earn that because just showing up was never enough.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, djp14 said:

He'll get at least a couple of years based on what we gave up to get him. 

What happens with Fitterer and Reich is irrelevant.

He gets 2 years if Fitterer / Reich get 2 years.

He gets no time with the new GM - he's immediately on the clock and won't let himself be hamstrung by Young.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

You have to give him 3 years. He isn't a bust, but more "not living up to the hype." I get why people are upset now. But he didn't pick himself. That's on the Panthers FO. 

He shouldn't have been the #1 pick, but he's a solid 1st round talent. Would have been better on a better team. I see his ceiling as a Drew Brees type of player with a little more escapability. He won't wow you but I think he'll be a very solid QB by end of next season, if his trajectory continues and the team improves.

Better play design and playcalling will improve his performance more than anything. Then better weapons and finally better protection.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

There’s really nothing to do as a fan but lock into the 3 year rule, otherwise you’ll just complain and ruin your health for something you have no control over. With our first next year being gone, we’re on this ride until at least the 2025 draft anyway. 

For this season I’m hoping Corbett comes back and improves the o-line. Hoping someone can step up at LG by the end of the season and give Bryce a chance in the pocket. 
Next, I’m hoping Thomas Brown starts calling plays after the bye or something. Let him help Bryce succeed instead of misguidedly try to protect him or whatever. I’ll trust a guy from a system that took Goff to the Super Bowl over whatever BS Reich is doing right now.

Next, I don’t think Sanders is healthy and I’d sit him for Chubba until his groin is right. He is killing our run game.

Lastly, I’d be down to trade our 2nd for a WR. Preferably Hollywood Brown. Whatever it is we need to get someone to help Bryce. Like I said, we’re on the ride til 2025. I don’t really care about next years draft. 

If we do all of those things and Bryce can’t show something, then I let Dalton play and try to avoid giving away the #1 overall pick at all costs. That would tear the team apart.

Then I’d make next year a QB competition and if Bryce fails I’m trading him and we take what we can get and just tear it all down. The end

• Pie 1

I was never onboard with him. Just sounds like we wanted an advanced game manager who could sometimes make off platform throws.

that doesn’t scream no 1 pick to me when you have some freaks available.

I’m off until I see him string some games together because as it stands we’re going to have to bring in another QB next year.

• Pie 1

He's definitely got this entire season for me even though I'm pretty sure we took the wrong guy and even next year so we can build on this. But it's just bleak right now there's no doubt about it. Like everyone else has said he's just not "popping" in any category when you watch on TV as a casual. #1 picks should always pop on the screen as they'd have an elite trait but I'm not seeing it. 

• Pie 1

I mean, it depends.

Is he continuing to showing progress? Is his play steadily improving? If so, you give him time to continue developing.

If he's not getting any better or getting worse, you probably want to look elsewhere at a certain point, but you still need to give him time. I don't think you can put a strict time table on it. He certainly needs the rest of this season and a good portion of next season as well, hopefully with more talent around him.

Considering what we gave up to get him, we'd be crazy to give up on him after half a season or something, especially given the lack of talent around him right now.

I'm skeptical and always preferred Stroud as a prospect but I'm still hoping I am wrong.

TBH it doesn't really matter what any of us think, he and Reich are both getting a bare minimum of two years to work it out since we don't have our first next year. Fitty's head will roll first, probably before new year's. "Worst case scenario" is suffering through two years of what we've seen through five games and getting another bite at the apple in 2025 with a top 3 pick and a new FO/coach combo.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

He gets 2 years if Fitterer / Reich get 2 years.

He gets no time with the new GM - he's immediately on the clock and won't let himself be hamstrung by Young.

Tepper's fingerprints are all over the trade-up with Chicago. He's got as much stake in Bryce as Fitterer.

• Pie 1

I know what  he is, as a player. 

To me, he is proof that people can be monumentally stupid, collectively. 
edit: and if we are truly serious about finding a franchise qb, we take one with the 2nd rounder and pit him against the one we have. 
I bet you right now in a fair competition a guy picked there has a great chance to win the job vs what we have in the job right now.

I think that would put all this crap to bed.

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

They are not playing great in this scheme and there are injuries but I believe Bryce's limitations make everyone look worse. It's the polar opposite of the 'Bryce isn't the problem' crowd. What he can't do list is incredibly long. No pro formations and only shotgun? Sure. No QB runs to soften the D? Sure. No deep passes connecting so no one respects the O and just stacks the box until prevent D time? Sure. It just keeps going.

If he wants to benefit of the doubt then do something to earn that because just showing up was never enough.

You make some interesting points here. It's perfectly reasonable to wonder if the known limitations of Young are further bogging down the offense. The rabble about how Stroud and Richardson would look just as bad really comes off as a poor coping mechanism. We just don't know. But we can see how they are doing in their respective offenses and they can make all the throws. We can't say the same for Bryce yet.

• Pie 1

Honestly I currently see a guy without the physical tools to be a true top QB.  He may develope Brees was so poor the first couple of years they took Rivers.  Frankly with no other choice I will wait until mid-season next year.  But he has got to show something.  

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

I need to see better line play too, but I guess that's kinda baked in with a "new staff and legit offensive coaches." You really can't judge a QB if they don't have a legit line. Hopefully he's not irrevocably messed up by then. 

I will say that all of this is subject to change depending upon what I see by January.

I think that's really the issue, I think QBs with a ton of talent can get ruined in their first 2 years by poor coaching, OL, weapons, etc. I truly believe David Carr could've been a top tier QB if he had gone to a more stable organization. Same with Darnold too honestly -- if Shanahan's Niners drafted him and sat him for a year or 2 I think he'd be viewed as a potential franchise QB. 

In theory if everything around Bryce sucks again in year 2 and he continues to struggle but we get a new staff and pay up for weapons, OL, etc. it's possible in year 3 he could turn it around and show he's legit, but we just haven't really seen that ever happen before. Highly drafted QBs who struggle both of their first 2 years never really turn it around. Only recent example I can really think of is Geno Smith and he's a rare outlier and didn't turn it around in year 3 but in year 10...

Edited by t96