• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who really wanted Young?

AU-panther

10 hours ago, poundaway said:

Frank delegated creating the playbook to Brown who has never been OC before. 

Who designs screens to Ian Thomas?  Seriously. 

I'm not impressed with Brown's play design and I'm not convinced Brown calling plays will fix anything.  Execution has been poor as well, including mind numbing penalties.  That's on coaching. 

Combine that with an average overpaid RB with fumblitis, a LT with a sophomore slump, injuries across the interior and you have 0-5.

This is a great point for everybody clamoring for Brown to take over. He designed the plays, so all the complaining about the screens and shorts passes all goes back to him anyway. All that doesn't make him a savior. 

• Pie 5

11 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Oh yeah for sure. Especially trading up to acquire him. Stroud made the most sense with the risk that was involved with the trade up. At worst you have a Goff type QB who is pretty solid. 

Exactly!! And it blew my mind how much fans had a problem with this anyway. All things considered, goff might be on his way to playing in a superbowl this year and it was well established none of the qbs in this draft were hitting the generational meter. At worst stroud would be a solid starter for any well built team that could get you to the playoffs along with having the quality qb physical traits. Might as well go with that guy to avoid looking about on the trade like you absolutely squandered it and will set you back some time. I just never bryce having the higher ceiling.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

This is a great point for everybody clamoring for Brown to take over. He designed the plays, so all the complaining about the screens and shorts passes all goes back to him anyway. All that doesn't make him a savior. 

? designing a play is one thing. Running it 8 times a game is a whole different thing. You have to have short passes and screens in your playbook, you don’t have to make them your entire game plan though

• Poo 1

14 hours ago, countryboi said:

Who cares who you wanted he a Panther now. That’s the issue with y’all, would rather be right than root for the Panthers. It’s lame 

I’d rather the team win than personally be right. I just think a lot of fans are tired of seeing the team make obviously bonehead moves and maybe not win a single game this season which is totally warranted to not be very supportive of that team. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 hours ago, NAS said:

I think Tepper and Nicole heavily influenced the pick by being vocal they liked him. I think that was enough for Frank and Fitt to get them to lean towards picking the player that their boss is happy with as opposed to taking the risk on Stroud and getting fired by Tepp if it doesn’t work out.  It was clear to me from the videos that McCown preferred Stroud but not sure he even had a vote

I agree but having a preference is not an unusual level of involvement for an owner with the #1 pick to me, let alone one whose team had gave up their biggest star to get there. It's certainly not the gun to Frank's head being depicted around here. If he went against own judgement to kiss the boss's ass that's his own damn fault. End of the day they all signed off on Bryce and have to own that.

Edited by MechaZain
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Thinking back to the pre draft process what exactly did Young show that Stroud didn’t?

Stroud has him beat in every physical category badly so it was just his ability to process? Did they not even talk to Stroud?

Because AR was number 2 on their board which again combined with the Darnold, Baker and Corral crap this entire scouting departments ability to scout literally any position at this point is pathetic. The fact they’re getting paid to do so is even worse. 

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, top dawg said:

Let's not act like Bryce isn't abnormally small for a QB. He's historically small. 

Perhaps the "big QB" thing meant "just not a little guy" as opposed to Cam Newton, Big Ben, or Josh Allen.

I'd say that ~6'2" and 220 isn't necessarily a big QB, but a normal one within an NFL context.

https://hortonbarbell.com/average-height-and-weight-of-nfl-quarterbacks/

AR has size we want, meanwhile I’d be willing to bet his career is done long before Bryce’ is.

Seeing how bad this coaching staff is we should’ve just rolled with Corral and he would’ve led us to Williams or Maye

Much like we should’ve never signed Teddy and we would’ve possibly landed Lawrence. Although I think we would’ve ended up with Wilson since the Jags only won 1 game that season 

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, countryboi said:

Who cares who you wanted he a Panther now. That’s the issue with y’all, would rather be right than root for the Panthers. It’s lame 

The Panthers have a lengthy history of being wrong unfortunately. The win/loss record speaks for itself as well. 99% would rather have a football team that looks like they belong in the NFL this team is barely high school level at times. And the folks who were dead set against any QB not named Young were anything but low-key about it. Considering we are now watching pretty much the worst case scenario with this pick it's inevitable these discussions will continue to be prevalent. Sorry you think reality is lame but thems the breaks my guy 🤷‍♂️

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Seeing how bad this coaching staff is we should’ve just rolled with Corral and he would’ve led us to Williams or Maye

Much like we should’ve never signed Teddy and we would’ve possibly landed Lawrence. Although I think we would’ve ended up with Wilson since the Jags only won 1 game that season 

If nothing else that should have been plan B.  Stick at 9 and see how the draft started to unfold.  If someone fell make a move if not dont get panicky and do something drastic and roll with MC, I mean you said you had a first round grade on him and you spent 2 picks to get him why not at least have him in your plans for a season?  This franchise fuging blows