• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does playing in North Carolina suck as a professional athlete?

Much like our boy CMC, I’ve been traded to the Bay Area. My firm is moving me there + a promotion/bonus. Mentally my toes are already in the sand of the beaches on the Pacific Ocean. I grew up here, left for college/mid twenties and came back expecting to spend the rest of my life here, but upon some reflection it’s one of the most uninspiring places in the US.  Creativity and ingenuity are stifled here.  “This is how we’ve always done it” should be the State slogan. Ive figured out why the Panthers (and Hornets) suck. Charlotte sucks, and to some extend North Carolina sucks. In a way that is what makes it North Carolina but for anyone really striving for “more” in life than Bojangles and winning the powerball it’s basically Mississippi.

This is just my personal experience and it means very little but I wonder how it must feel playing professional sports in the “city” of Charlotte. I can’t imagine anybody on the Panthers roster puts on the uniform and plays “for the city” like they do in Pittsburgh, Philly, Dallas etc. There isn’t anything about Charlotte or Raleigh that make them “special” or unique, and they only have teams because of the population. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that so many former players ball out when they leave here. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 24

Back in the day it was a place blue-collar players that wanted a family friendly environment liked. At least that was the image projected which actually appeared that way but with JR I always have to look back and wonder.

If you are very wealthy and young why would you want to hang around the Carolina unless you were from around here? And even then like just visit. NC's got plenty of upside but the vin diagram overlap for young/wealthy and those positives are sparse. 

Have fun in the move. That is a fun area even if they did nerf SF itself. 

I know some athletes loved playing and living here.  Many stuck around even after getting traded or retiring.  I remember athletes talking about liking Charlotte because they could go out in public and live a normal life without getting swarmed as much as other big cities.  It's probably relative on what you want out of life.

• Pie 3

It’s probably in the top 15 places to play, all things considered. Maybe not if you like mental stimulation and ways to show off your wealth, but at least you don’t have to deal with sub-zero temps and feet of snow like some of the northern cities or the constant threat of being robbed, carjacked or harassed by drug addicts like so many bigger cities. 

Reasonably safe, decent climate, quieter lifestyle. Not too bad really.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Oddly enough California is one of the top state people are leaving and NC is one of the most desired states for people to move to.  Also, a lot of former football players retire in the Charlotte area. 

The Canes have a championship and are betting favorites this year to win it all.  Most Nascar folks call NC home too. 

If you are talking strictly the Panthers and Hornets, then yes, these are not top destinations.  Why?  Neither are good.  If they become winners, then players will want to come.  The same with fans.  Win games and they will buy tickets.

• Pie 8

Yeah not sure why we are bashing the state. The state overall is one of the better ones in the country. Has a little bit of everything to offer, and is growing economically. Alot of California transplants moving here to get away from the West Coast political crap shoot. But athletics in pro sports definitely has been spotty at best. The college ranks breeds great pro players though, we just can't seem to find the right combination in management to put together a winning solution. That's not a location problem, that's a people problem.

I'll always bleed blue and love the state in which I was born. But also not naive enough to recognize the fact we lack where others don't.

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

I know some athletes loved playing and living here.  Many stuck around even after getting traded or retiring.  I remember athletes talking about liking Charlotte because they could go out in public and live a normal life without getting swarmed as much as other big cities.  It's probably relative on what you want out of life.

Cam left as soon as he got a chance. You never see Cam in Charlotte anymore. He built his business back in Atlanta. There is nothing in Charlotte.