• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inquiring Teams told Burns not avaiable

Daeavorn

10 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

How can we turn down the offer last year, then not get a deal done this offseason, only to now not even be listening to offers?!?!?!

It makes no sense, only thing I can think of is that they're saying that hoping someone will make a stupid offer to test our resolve and then jump on it, but that seems like a losing strategy

We're treating this like he's Aaron Donald or JJ Watt or prime Von Miller. Burns ain't that. He's not the cornerstone of a dominant defense.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 3

I think the Panthers got calls.....and the offers are now nowhere close to what the largely known Rams one was....and the Panthers have egg on their face for 148th time.  So now they can't be interested in it. 

because you know this entire front office is operating at this stage on trying to look smart and mitigate how stupid they look (because they don't look smart).  And dealing Burns for way less than they were just offered a year ago continues to highlight how poorly they manage assets and opportunity. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 2

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think the Panthers got calls.....and the offers are now nowhere close to what the largely known Rams one was....and the Panthers have egg on their face for 148th time.  So now they can't be interested in it. 

because you know this entire front office is operating at this stage on trying to look smart and mitigate how stupid they look (because they don't look smart).  And dealing Burns for way less than they were just offered a year ago continues to highlight how poorly they manage assets and opportunity. 

Yep I think you hit the nail on the head here. Our FO is no longer trying to make the best team possible. Now its all about covering their own asses to try and salvage as much of their ego as possible.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

I disagree with you about this. This is an example of something the coach and GM should have discussed prior to the draft and free agency. Then the GM should have drafted, signed, and traded for guys that fit what the coach wants to do instead of letting the coach try to shove square pegs into round holes. And yeah, they wouldn't have filled all the holes, but they would have a better start than they do now.

I'd agree, but the line we were going with was already assembled when Reich got here. The only tweaks to be made were for depth.

And realistically, after how they performed last year, would you have suggested changes?

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd agree, but the line we were going with was already assembled when Reich got here. The only tweaks to be made were for depth.

And realistically, after how they performed last year, would you have suggested changes?

If the only tweaks were supposed to be for depth, then they're not on the same page and don't seem to know what they're doing. They can't go from "we only need depth" to changing the scheme and asking guys that are run blocking maulers to become quick and agile pass blockers. That just doesn't work as this season as proven.

And yeah, after finding out what blocking scheme Frank wanted, I would have suggested changes. You can also add that a change at LG was needed since BC might be better suited as back up swing tackle role than starting guard. Heck, BC might be a better starting LT for this blocking scheme than Icky.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Well, I'll guess I'll comment...

I don't know how much I believe this, because it's kind of at odds with a guy that likes to deal. Something is being left out. Perhaps Fitterer doesn't like the offers he's getting. I'll be surprised if Burns isn't traded, but won't be shocked. This isn't a fire sale.

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well, I'll guess I'll comment...

I don't know how much I believe this, because it's kind of at odds with a guy that likes to deal. Something is being left out. Perhaps Fitterer doesn't like the offers he's getting. I'll be surprised if Burns isn't traded, but won't be shocked. This isn't a fire sale.

Not getting an offer they like seems like the most reasonable scenario.

I do remember there being some chatter that maybe that decision was coming from "above" but I never knew how seriously to take that.

In light of discussions about what role Tepper played in a quarterback selection though, It might make you wonder.

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

If the only tweaks were supposed to be for depth, then they're not on the same page and don't seem to know what they're doing. They can't go from "we only need depth" to changing the scheme and asking guys that are run blocking maulers to become quick and agile pass blockers. That just doesn't work as this season as proven.

And yeah, after finding out what blocking scheme Frank wanted, I would have suggested changes. You can also add that a change at LG was needed since BC might be better suited as back up swing tackle role than starting guard. Heck, BC might be a better starting LT for this blocking scheme than Icky.

My guess would be they believed their guys could handle either scheme. And maybe with Corbett and Christensen both playing, it would have been a more reasonable possibility.

Corbett likely has at least some experience in that area given his time in McVay's offense, and Christensen certainly isn't a "road grader" type. Hell, If he were healthy, It might have even been worth discussing a flip-flop between Christensen and Ekwonu at this point given their respective skill sets.

The guys seemingly least suited to this scheme would be Ekwonu, Zavala, maybe even Bozeman. Moton seems to be doing at least a reasonable job of it.

But ultimately yeah, there was a breakdown somewhere and here we are.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Flames 1

This OL discussion… I was shocked when I saw the opening day offense.

Why in the hell when you have a rook QB do you not heavily invest in a run game for him. It is his best friend. Damned if I ever saw a running game, and we had guys who can run block. We know that from last year. 

We were practically telling them we were running, and see if you can stop it. And most couldn’t. WTF?

I have been saying WTF ever since Reich and the staff were brought in. Everything we have done, wack.

2 minutes ago, NAS said:

Not sure if this has been said already (haven't read all the pages), but saying that a player "isn't available" is just a negotiating tactic to drive up the price.  EVERYONE is for sale if the price is right.  

If the right price isn’t 2 firsts and a second then I am not sure what is.   

• Pie 1