• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Enough time has passed - Feedback on the new playcaller

Varking

I want to say, here we go, look at us, we've got it fixed and got a win.

But I still can't shake it when I watch the games... this isn't a team that has it together. We just look hapless, on-coordinated, unsure and somewhat passive.

They keep telling us that Bryce is doing a good job out there taking what the defense gives.

And I can't help but think that's not how football is supposed to be played. The objective is to impose your will on the opponent. We show no signs whatsoever that we even feel like we can do that.

I wish I was saying something different, but this isn't a very well coached team, from the top on down. They aren't playing like a group of professionals. There's just too many mistakes, no rhythm, no push and a decided lack of energy.

I feel like the cats got neutered.

• Pie 6

- The offense played with good tempo - no delay of games, false starts, or illegal shifts that set them behind the sticks. 

- When the pocket was clean, consistently moved down the field

- Short yardage run game killed drives - ran 3 straight times on First red zone possession before 4th down stop by Houston. Then got stopped on a 3rd & 2, and settled for a field goal. 

- Liked that Brown called for a flea flicker on a 2nd & 1. Jimmie Ward, who is a good safety didn't bite. However, that's a great play to put on tape that we aren't just going to run the ball on every 2nd & short situation. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Newtcase said:

We’re a bad team with a rookie QB who just won with 15 points against a Texans team that tied for the worst record in football last year and is also starting a rookie qb.

We rushed for 44 yards and gave up six sacks.  It’s an absolute miracle we won this game.  We had an inspired defensive performance combined with an uninspired Texans offensive performance and that’s the real reason our penalty aided, game winning field goal drive was even consequential.

The W shouldn’t confuse the situation at all.  We have run blocking and protection issues, RB issues, WR issues, TE issues and QB issues.  We threw for 180 yards (adjusted for sacks) and 1 TD and that was honestly Bryce playing his best football so far.

Bottom line, neither Reich or Brown can solve these issues with “creative” or even “genius” play calling.  We can’t execute the most basic poo.  We checked down a flea flicker, I’ve literally never seen that.  Miles Sanders ran the wrong route and nearly killed the most crucial play of the game.  As fans we should hope and cheer for getting the little things right.  If we can do that then there’s hope to install more expansive options and expect success.

I’m thrilled for the W and will enjoy it for what it is, a scrappy win instead of a sloppy loss.  I hope we can build from it and extract some confidence.  In UFC they often say winning a title makes you 30% better automatically.  We didn’t win a title but we did win a game and perhaps that will make us a little more confident we can do it again.

We have QB issues?

• Pie 3

I’m at the point where I think the best we can hope for is unpredictable playcalling and smart play within that.

reality is, our team is flat out limited in terms of skill talent around the QB.  So there is a ceiling of what can realistically hope to see out of this team. 

scariest part is this front office and staff viewed this roster as good enough coming in and was a QB away.   The more time that goes by and the more you watch people break us down….the more it highlights how well Bryce is surviving in a horrible situation. 

everything for me comes back to needing Fitt out of here.  And that highlighting another mistake.   We should have fired Fitt with Rhule.   Because when we do fire him we get a GM stuck with a retread HC that he probably wouldn’t have wanted. 

• Pie 4

So we are just going to skip over the fact that the offensive line was complete and utter trash Sunday?!?

They couldn't get any push in the run game and they could not hold a block on drop backs for majority of the game.  There is only so much a coordinator can do when the players suck at executing.  Then you have Mingo and Chark with drive killing drops.  I did not have a problem with the playcalling Sunday but the execution from our players left a sour taste.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CarolinaNut said:

They couldn't get any push in the run game and they could not hold a block on drop backs for majority of the game.  There is only so much a coordinator can do when the players suck at executing.  Then you have Mingo and Chark with drive killing drops.  I did not have a problem with the playcalling Sunday but the execution from our players left a sour taste.

I get torn on that. 

If you don't have the caliber of OL to be dropped back in the shotgun all game, every week......at some point that is coaching/playcalling. 

there is a reason why the OL looked good last year and bad this year IMO.  It was the playcalling and what they were asked to do.  

Basically Bryce Young fits the shotgun heavy scheme we are doing.  The OL and RBs don't.  And frankly our WRs don't fit the heavy pass game scheme either.  They can't get open and got no speed. 

• Pie 3

I do think Brown will get better and there’s a reason Frank waited so long to turn over play calling and we will see an uptick. However this team this year is unfortunately just limited by the skill personnel we have. If we keep Bryce healthy, I could see us making noise next year if we’re aggressive in FA. I fully expect a breakout year 2 on offense with a second year Bryce and a Thomas Brown who got his feet wet year before 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

We have QB issues?

No.  We don't.  Bryce has literally improved every single week, and played his best game of the season last week.  He's completing 65% of his passes for 1200 yards 7 TDs and 4 INTs, in 6 starts.  Extrapolate that out for the whole season and hes at 65% completion around 3400/3500 yards passing, 20ish TDs and 10ish INTs.  A fine rookie season for an NFL QB any way you slice it.

• Pie 3

9 hours ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

Improvements:

-play calls were getting in on time and with plenty of time still on play clock

-ball wasn't snapped with 1 sec left on play clock

-didnt waste a timeout to prevent delay of game(s)

Can't dispute any of that, but when Frank was calling plays weren't he and Brown discussing each play ?  I cant really see how you give credit to Brown just because you don't have two guys  "deciding" what play to call in a limited amount of time.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, joemac said:

No.  We don't.  Bryce has literally improved every single week, and played his best game of the season last week.  He's completing 65% of his passes for 1200 yards 7 TDs and 4 INTs, in 6 starts.  Extrapolate that out for the whole season and hes at 65% completion around 3400/3500 yards passing, 20ish TDs and 10ish INTs.  A fine rookie season for an NFL QB any way you slice it.

Especially given the fact that we can’t block, can’t run the football, and can’t catch. 

• Pie 2