• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers turned down trade offers for Brian Burns from at least 5 teams

TheSpecialJuan

7 hours ago, OldhamA said:

LOL I bet the Bears and the 49ers were licking their chops.

"We've fleeced this chinless wonder before, give him a call and see what he wants for Burns". 

100% Poles was licking his chops. Fitt is the only GM that makes Poles seem competent.

”Hey guys, wanna see me take Bobby Hill Jr’s purse again? Watch this.” 

IMG_1102.jpeg

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

But yet we refuse to pay him

poo or get off the pot 

Burns already stated that if a deal was not done before a set time ( I'm not sure if it was before the season started), that his agent was not going to talk about contracts and he was going to fully concentrate on the team. So no contract talks between his party and the Panthers. So it's not that they "won't pay him" it's that the time for talking is over and the season will play out and talks will resume after the season is over.

7 hours ago, CRA said:

my money is still on Burns walking in the end. 

Panthers look foolish not trading him to Rams.  I think they are self aware they largely aren’t well viewed by fans, media, probably know other teams believe they have fleeced them, etc. 

and I think Burns keeps demanding a number they aren’t comfortable with….and to an extent I think he ensures his way out of a losing franchise by doing that.  Because all he has done is lose.  So the deal is pay me money to look stupid or I get my way out of here. 

Here's my take.

We were obviously looking to get a QB in the 2023 draft.  We traded CMC for far less than what he was worth.  Had we held onto CMC and traded Burns we would have had two first rounders we could have used in the Young trade and maybe save our 2024 first round pick (which now appears to be a top 3 pick) and kept Moore.  These two weapons would have given Young something to work with.   

With Young already in house our top pick in 2024 would have netted us several 1st round picks to the right team.  I think to make matters worse is that Burns wants top dollar for a DE that isn't top tier DE money. I love Burns and he makes some good plays. However, he's not caliber of a Bosa. I think we knew last year that Burns was going to be a holdout and not sign an extension when Bosa was up for contract.  It would have saved us from the headache. 

They say hindsight is 2020 but if you are going to gut your offense of your best players for draft picks, why not use some of the defensive talent and reboot the entire team.  In the long run I think we traded the wrong player in 2022. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I swear I think it was the owners with Pep, and is the same type thing with Burns. Tepper wanted to keep him. JR definitely had his man crush on Julius.

I always thought the cap management dilemma over Pep's 2nd tag is what led to Jake's big ill advised extension. There will be casualties this time too if they insist on fighting to keep Burns here, if he won't sign. And you have to wonder if he is being disagreeable in order to make a path to leave. 

I can see Tepper standing over Fit's shoulder saying no we aren't trading him, and more recently saying you better get him signed, but if that were true he'd be signed. Unless he wants out. I don't know, the whole situation has been bizarre.

i would have taken the trade offer in the spring, it was big time. I don't dislike Burns but he isn't worth close to what he apparently wants, IMO. And when you add the variable of we can finish last without him, it's hard to see paying him like an All Pro. 

edit: I got off that Gettleman train early, but he was not wrong to let someone else make Norman enormously wealthy. I think he had a good first year of that deal and then started slipping. And I was a big fan of Norman, being local to Coastal. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 2

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Here's my take.

We were obviously looking to get a QB in the 2023 draft.  We traded CMC for far less than what he was worth.  Had we held onto CMC and traded Burns we would have had two first rounders we could have used in the Young trade and maybe save our 2024 first round pick (which now appears to be a top 3 pick) and kept Moore.  These two weapons would have given Young something to work with.   

With Young already in house our top pick in 2024 would have netted us several 1st round picks to the right team.  I think to make matters worse is that Burns wants top dollar for a DE that isn't top tier DE money. I love Burns and he makes some good plays. However, he's not caliber of a Bosa. I think we knew last year that Burns was going to be a holdout and not sign an extension when Bosa was up for contract.  It would have saved us from the headache. 

They say hindsight is 2020 but if you are going to gut your offense of your best players for draft picks, why not use some of the defensive talent and reboot the entire team.  In the long run I think we traded the wrong player in 2022. 

Yep that’s my biggest issue with all of this. They knew they were going to try like hell to get up to 1 to draft a QB. Even if they couldn’t get to 1 the plan was always to take a QB.

Shipping CMC off for a bag of peanuts made no sense. I was all for trading CMC but I wouldn’t have taken anything other than a 1. Spare me the collection of crap picks we got is equal to a 1 on some nerd chart because it’s not the same. 

Then they had another chance to keep a weapon for Young but instead chose to ship off Moore instead of Brown or Burns. They’ve had 3 opportunities now to trade Burns. Last deadline, trade up to 1 and now this deadline. 

So not only have they made an absolute mess of this Burns situation they’ve left their rookie QB they traded the farm utter garbage to work with. 

The incompetence starts at the very top with this organization but even if Dave wasn’t in the picture the guys just below him are just as clueless 

• Pie 3

I haven't heard this brough up, but does anyone wonder maybe that Bruns, and his agent are asking for such a high number right now because they wanna make sure that Bryce will be good before committing to this team for the next 5 years? It makes sense that Burns wouldn't wanna sign away the prime of his career to a team on the QB carousal again if Bryce bust unless he's highly paid. 

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

I haven't heard this brough up, but does anyone wonder maybe that Bruns, and his agent are asking for such a high number right now because they wanna make sure that Bryce will be good before committing to this team for the next 5 years? It makes sense that Burns wouldn't wanna sign away the prime of his career to a team on the QB carousal again if Bryce bust unless he's highly paid. 

Burns has been here long enough to know his chances of winning with this dog sh!t organization are low regardless of what Bryce does

So again, they’ve had 3 opportunities to trade Burns. They know what he’s asking for and if it’s that outrageous are they seriously so stupid that they think they’re better off negotiating with him than trading him?

I hope this doesn’t end up with history repeating itself where we basically develop a player for another team without receiving compensation. If the price ain’t right, don’t sign him. I rather have Brown and Luvu (trade Chinn if we can’t use him right) than one Burns who handicaps the rest of the defensive core. 

• Pie 2

At this point I have zero clue what Fitts is doing.  He'll offload offensive assets to move up for a rookie QB who needs those assets, but won't offload a dude who will break the bank for years to come that's not a generational talent on defense.  Makes complete sense. 🙄

Something has to give. Tepper needs to stop meddling, but clearly he doesn't trust Fitts at this point.  I seriously doubt the micromanaging stops with a new GM, however.  Some of these head scratching moves are 100% directives of Tepper himself, no proof, just a gut feeling.  Fitts is going to be on the chopping block for being an unconditional 'yes man.'  A person can't tell their boss 'no' too many times,but rationally giving rebuttals is common in a healthy organization.  I mean, he's going to get fired anyway, so at least go out with some dignity,

• Pie 1