• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many "retread" head coaches actually pan out?!?

TheBigKat

John Fox- took two teams to a super bowl, that's a great accomplishment

Dan Reeves- success with Denver and ATL, took them both to a Super Bowl

Gruden- took Raiders to SB and won SB with Bucs

The Tuna- success in NE, DAL, NYJ, Giants

Dungy-  Bucs and Colts

Reid- no explanation necessary

All I am saying is MOST retread coaches don't pan out and the ones that do were typically VERY successful in their first gig. This now leads me to Mr. Reich, what the hell did he massively accomplish in Indy that warranted the immediate rehire. He was the first coach fired last year and the first coach hired this year?

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Technically, most first time coaches don't pan out either.

Reality is it's just really hard to find a super successful coach.

agreed but what did Reich show in Indy that makes you have to pull the trigger and have him as first coach hired this past off season 

Only 18 of the retread coaches eventually won at least one playoff win. Nearly 87% of retread coaches get fired or retire without ever seeing any level of success after getting fired—even the coaches that were successful with their first team rarely see any real success with their subsequent teams.

However, of the 328 times when a team hired a first-time head coach, 100 times the team won at least one playoff game during that new coach’s tenure (30.5%). Also, more importantly, 38 of the 328 first-time hires won a championship (11.6%).

It’s valuable to note that 198 of those 328 first-time head coaching hires were never rehired by another team after leaving their first team. More than 60% of first-time head coaches will get fired and never get a second shot at being a head coach in the NFL.

However, even with the high failure rate of NFL/AFL coaches, it’s important to highlight that championships are heavily in favor of first-time hires. Since 1960, 46 different NFL/AFL coaches have won a championship. 38 of 46 (82.6%) of those championship coaches were with their first team.

https://thecapisfake.com/2023/07/13/should-nfl-teams-hire-retread-head-coaches/

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

13 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Coaches are only as good as their team.

generally speaking.   and QB is the kingmaker. 

but I mean, some coaches are clearly better than others.  And you generally can see how good a coach is in bad times too.  Can they overachieve?  Or do they make a bad roster look even worse.  I think Frank is a guy that doesn't make people look better. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

agreed but what did Reich show in Indy that makes you have to pull the trigger and have him as first coach hired this past off season 

Ben Johnson dropped out. I genuinely don’t think Reich was ever going to get the job until that happened. 
But to answer your question he did nothing in Indy. Same with Philly. He was the OC but didn’t call plays. 
He was a bad hire. Didn’t like it then. Really don’t like it now. 

Edited by TLGPanthersFan
  • Pie 2

Belichick after being fired from Cleveland, unless you want to say that was all Tommy B.

Technically Dan Campbell since he was an interim in Miami and wasn't retained.

I think Doug Pederson has done a decent job in Jacksonville, although they've been up and down. Still a lot better than they were. But you're right about him having success in his first gig.

Pete Carroll was fired by New England and won a SB with Seattle (and some natties with USC).

But yeah, it's mostly a crapshoot, and I agree Reich didn't show anything in Indianapolis that would lead someone to believe he'd suddenly be a superstar here. But I honestly didn't expect him to be THIS bad.

2 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

reich's gimmick was that he had a different starting QB each year but was still able to make a few playoff appearances his first few season. in reality, he inherited a somewhat solid team from the previous regime and we all saw what happened towards the end of reich's tenure with the colts.

reich must have went into the Tepper's interview saying "I made the playoffs with a different QB each year, imagine what I can do with a young QB that I can handpick". Tepper being the gullible fool once again gets tricked into another bad decision and here we are

• Pie 1

I mean, you can debate retread vs rookie, offensive vs defensive, college vs pro and any number of factors, but the bottom line is it just comes down to finding the right guy.

It is true that some guys who fail in one situation thrive in another. Maybe that's because they weren't the problem or perhaps it just wasn't an arrangement that worked.

There certainly might be trends, but you make a mistake if you sort everybody in a certain situation into one pile.